Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Betta Bio-Gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day, 4 pellets

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? One or twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? about 1/5 of the water.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Just bought Seachem Prime per Myates' suggestion.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: <10 ppm (although with seachem prime my test kit may not be accurate)
pH: 7.0
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has turned a dull grey. I have had a long battle with fin rot with him, and it was better and growing back, until a multi-day fish feeder caused these symptoms. His tail fin is tattered again. With a flashlight, there is a red around his gills that was never there before.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He is laying on the bottom of the tank, only occasionally going up for air. He ate two pellets yesterday, but otherwise hasn't eaten for a week. He is breathing heavily.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? After I came back from thanksgiving weekend using a multi-day fish feeder.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I bought Seachem Prime and a pH balancer. Have been replacing half of the water daily, to no change.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes, fin rot which had been healing before this.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I have owned him for 3 years, but he was full sized when I got him so he could be up to 4.

You can see the rust color on his gills below. Apologies for the slightly blurred picture.

Last edited by ErrantWhimsy; 12-03-2011 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Pictures too large
ErrantWhimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

I would put him in a qt tank (A betta cup will work well for this situation) that can float in the main tank for warmth.

Do a 100% change on the cup daily to see if that helps him out.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:52 PM   #3 
ErrantWhimsy

Thank you for the suggestion, pataflafla. I wish it would work.

I have been doing 50% water changes daily for a week, and all I got him to eat in the last 10 days or so is 2 pellets. I have no idea what is sustaining him. His water is testing perfectly. I would expect that after this amount of time with consistent fresh water, he would get better, but he seems to be the same. I can try the cup trick, but I feel like it won't be more effective than constantly changing the tank water, and maybe stress him more to be moved daily. If you think I should do it though, I will try.

The only pet store in a 50 mile radius didn't even have the right sort of antibiotics if it is septicemia. It had one product just meant for surface wounds. Which means even if it is that, I would probably lose him before an online order arrived.

He just sits at the bottom of the tank, breathing heavily. I feel like I am watching him starve. What would you do if it was your fish?
Old 12-03-2011, 09:03 PM   #4 
ErrantWhimsy

I switched him to the cup. It seems to have stressed him a bit, but I'll try anything.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #5 
Pataflafla

You could try lowering the water level instead of the cup method. Anything to make it easier for him to get to the surface.

Keep him tank darker to reduce stress and keep water at 78-80 for comfort.

You can try and see if he's willing to eat something soaked in garlic juice. Whether it's blood worms or something doesn't matter so long as he eats at this point.

I say if he still isn't eating after a few days, then look into your options of euthanasia since he hasn't even improved with clean water at all.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:09 PM   #6 
ErrantWhimsy

Garlic juice? That's an interesting idea! I just put him in the cup. I have seen him swim to the surface before that today, so I know he is capable of it. Hopefully this will make it easier on him.

Thank you for your help! I'll update here if anything changes that might give a hint to what is hurting him.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #7 
Pataflafla

Easiest thing for garlic juice is to just get a jar of plain minced garlic (I use organic with no added flavors to be extra safe) or to get a clove or two of garlic, mince it, and soak it in some water for a little bit.

Just as a heads up, it will make the water somewhat rancid if you don't clean it out a lot, which shouldn't be too much of a problem given the situation.

Tags
appetite, lethargic, red, septicemia