Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2011, 02:48 AM   #1 
Cortez

Fins disintergrating???

Hey Guys,

I have a problem with my boy Nero, I came back from Holidays and found his fins are tatty and look like they're disintergrating....
I'm not sure if someone is eating them or if its a problem he has...

I have been dosing the tank since I got back (yesterday) with Melafix.

Housing
What size is your tank? 20L / 6G
What temperature is your tank? 27 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Kindof, the filter flows into the tank from height promoting aerations of the water when it hits.
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 Corys 1 Guppy

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hakari Betta Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day 3 baby pellets

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every Saturday
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20-30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? pH Down, Water Conditioner, Tropical Salts.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes, Fins are disappearing
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? other than that he's fine
When did you start noticing the symptoms? yesterday when I got home from my 4 day holiday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Melafix yesterday & today
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Young probably 9 months old?

Should I use Multi-cure? I'm worried it will affect the others in my tank. I dont have a hospital tank, but was wondering if I could put him in a bowl for a few days and treat him in that seeing as it is coming into summer and quite warm?
If not maybe I just keep going with the melafix???
Oppinions and options are very welcome :)

Please help, Thanks in advance Guys!!!
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Can you post a pic.....

I would get the Betta in a bare QT container and float in a heated tank to maintain temp in the 76-77F range for now and just do clean dechlorinated water treatments from daily 50% water changes-watch the fin...this will help you rule out the other fish or something in the tank and even the filter as the cause....if the fins start to look crusty...you may need to start aquarium salt treatment....

A 6gal really isn't big enough for tank mates other than shrimp and/or snails along with the Betta-you may want to rehome the other fish or get a larger tank and then stock the species you have in larger numbers since they tend to do better with more of their own species...

Also, long term salt in the tank is not needed-or did you just add that.....especially with corydoras-long term high dose salt can kill them and by using salt in non therapeutic doses you can create resistant pathogen/parasites as well...salt is a great product when used for the right reason, dosage and duration.....

I would start making 50% weekly with light vacuum on the 6gal on a regular bases too...this will maintain water quality along with a swish/rinse of the filter media in old tank water a couple of times a month with a water changes.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #3 
Cortez

By Dechlorinated water do you mean distilled water?
I guess things are done differently in Australia to the US.
I just want to know what is wrong with my boy, and what I can do to treat him.
Also I do know that catfish of any type don't like salt due to being scale-less.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #4 
EvilVOG

Dechlorinated means you put a chemical in the water to remove the chlorine that comes in tap water all over the world. sometimes you can find it separate but a water conditioner will contain something that removes chlorine and i'd use that potion if you have it.

you need to remove the betta from the community tank into a quarantine tank to begin salt treatment
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:00 PM   #5 
Cortez

I always do a water change with water conditioner to remove the chlorine... I thought everyone did???
And do you suggest a salt treatment? because that is not what I was trying.
I was treating with Melafix.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #6 
EvilVOG

yeah some people don't know about conditioner and pet stores like to tell you that you can just fill a bowl with tap water. You never know what other people know so we just answer assuming you don't know.

I'm not really an expert, must of what i know comes from the stickies and they tend to say try the salt first.

Can you get us a picture of the problem? it would help the people that really know help you.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:17 PM   #7 
Cortez

I tried to put as much info up as possible, as you would have seen I put up all the info that I was told to.
I'll try to get a photo if I can.