Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #1 
Nitein

Want to add a buddy for my water family.

I have 8 betta fish...yes 8 but in separate bowls. I want to get another fish to put in the bowl but I have so many ?s. The main ? would be: What kind of fish do the bettas get along with???
Nitein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #2 
hedgehog

It's not recommended to keep bettas with other fish in any tank smaller than a 10 gallon. Without knowing the size of your betta tanks it would be impossible to recommend a tank mate. You may be able to add shrimp, which could turn into a betta snack, or snails depending on the size of the tank.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #3 
CrowntailTwitchy57

Or you can never go wrong with a moss ball! 
CrowntailTwitchy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:32 PM   #4 
Myates

You say bowls.. but what size and are they filtered?
As mentioned above, anything under 10 gals you won't want to add in fish- and even then there is a limit. 5 gals and up you could add in a snail or shrimp, as long as the tank is cycled and filtered..

Once we know the tank size, filtered, cycled, heated, etc then we can recommend something if it's safe for the betta and other fish.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #5 
Nitein

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
It's not recommended to keep bettas with other fish in any tank smaller than a 10 gallon. Without knowing the size of your betta tanks it would be impossible to recommend a tank mate. You may be able to add shrimp, which could turn into a betta snack, or snails depending on the size of the tank.

What kind of snail?....My babies are in personal bowls except for my crowntails they have the carriable tanks.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:03 PM   #6 
Nitein

I have the one gallon bowls for the babies.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:46 AM   #7 
DaveysRose

I'm kinda new fish keeping, but speaking from my limited personal experience, I did not get tankmates for my CT "Red" until I moved him to a 10 gallon tank with a baffled air filter. I found some tetras on sale at PetSmart (I'm sorry I can't remember the exact name but mine are a pewter color with black marks). I wanted ember tetras but none of the local pet stores I've checked carry them (I'm going to a different pet store later today). From what I've read on these forums, Oto catfish and ember tetras are pretty safe bets; all bettas are different and the way I introduced my new guys to Red is by floating the bag (acclimation and introductions in one handy step! lol!) Red of course flared several times at them (it was sooo cute!!) but by the time it was okay to release the new guys he seemed rather indifferent and no one has nipped yet and he hasn't flared since that inital introduction. Hope this helps- more experienced fish parents, please feel free to correct me if I got something wrong I take no offense in learning :)
DaveysRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:56 AM   #8 
LittleBettas

With a one gallon bowl, you can get a moss ball, anything else will cause cramming and even dirtier water.... and ghost shrimp would become a quick snack or jump out in that size
how often are you doing water changes? With that size water changes should be done every other day or every three day min.
If you increase to a 2.5 gallon tank you should be able to add a few ghost shrimp and provide them with enough places to hid
Increasing your tank sizes will allow you to have to do less frequent water changes (though you still have to do them) and will allow you to get tank mates... though remember, not all bettas like tankmates and many will kill them
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote