Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #1 
belovedChrissy

Should I amputate?

The short version:

I have done everything I can at the moment to help this fish, but he isn't getting better. Here are some pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/6237856...7628280220883/

I diagnosed and treated that as fin rot. But his fin is still rotting. Ahh! I used kanaplex and aquarium salt, and I even gave him a couple betta fix baths. I don't know what else to do.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? hikari betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? one pellet per day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 100% every 2 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? prime and pH neutralizer, and aquarium salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? he's lost some fin and he's a little "pale"
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? before I put the salt in all he did was lay at the bottom. He's fairly active and responsive now.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about a month ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, with kanaplex, aquarium salt, and betta fix baths
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)? I really have no clue.
belovedChrissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #2 
Luimeril

to my eyes, that looks more like tail biting, instead of fin rot.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #3 
bettafish15

That looks like tailbiting to me as well... nothing you can do for it, just keep his water clean like you are, but a bunch of meds wont help it.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #4 
Myates

Handsome guy.. I have to say it looks like tail biting as well, as I don't see any sign of fin rot- blackened crusty edges that are flaking off, nor white cottony puffs at the edges- just some mouth shaped empty spots.

As mentioned before, clean water is the best.. there is no definite answer as to why they fin bite, nor how to stop it.. just educated guesses from experiences and watching.

Just do your weekly water changes, add in water conditioner and nothing more. Make sure he is 100% out of medicated water now, especially if he is losing his coloration- the medicine can do more harm then good, especially when it's unneeded. A few other needed tips to make him healthy:

The pH neutralizer can also be very harmful for them.. which may be stressing him out and could be the cause of fin biting- the stress. Bettas will adjust to whatever pH you have- using uppers and downers can cause stress and death, not the pH itself.

Never add in AQ salt on a regular basis- as long term use, over use, will start to cause internal problems such as liver and kidney failures- as you are removing all the moisture from within their bodies and basically dehydrating them to death.
AQ salt is only used as a medication, with specific amounts, and specific lengths of time- never more then 10-14 days max.

One pellet per day is very very low to feed them.. to feed any kind of fish/living creature.. they should be eating 4-6 pellets a day, between 2 meals (2-3 pellets per meal). That could be another cause of tail biting- he's trying to get any form of nutrition that he can get to survive.. it's like.. sometimes you see a dog that is nothing but bones, and a stomach full of rocks- just wanting to get something in their bellies to feel full. Bettas love to eat and they are active and need a balanced nutrition in a variety of foods.. they need to have breakfast and dinner, just like us and all other animals, and lunch would be appreciated too if possible.

In a 1 gal unfiltered you should be doing 1 50% and 1 100% water changes per week. It's highly recommended and needed since smaller tanks build up ammonia and nitrates quickly.

Good luck and if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.. but with a few simple adjustments on his care, he should become strong and healthy again once more.

Last edited by Myates; 12-04-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #5 
belovedChrissy

Thank you!
belovedChrissy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin rot