Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-19-2011, 01:04 AM   #1 
frostyelement

Help my Betta has Popeye

Iíve had Valentine for 13 months. Heís in a 1.5 aquarium with a filter and a heater. I do a complete water change once a week. Six days ago I woke up to find him with one bubbled eye. I went to the pet shop and was sold Maracyn Two medication. The directions said to use it for five days and to gradually change the water. I changed about a ľ of the water. Today is the six day and his eye is only slightly better. I went to another pet shop and was told not to ever change the water completely. I was told not to use the filter and to continue to only add a very small amount of the medicine. The water is cloudy and Iím not sure what to do. Can someone please advise me on how to continue to care for him. Thank you.
frostyelement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:16 AM   #2 
betta dude

can you give us any pics?
betta dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:53 AM   #3 
frostyelement

No, the picture I took the day I discovered it looks blurry on the monitor and now the water is too cloudy to take a clear picture
Old 11-19-2011, 05:16 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry your Betta isn't well.....

Usually when its just one eye-it is due to an injury...not always...but more times than not.....anyway.....once you complete the medication and it should be completed since its been 6 days and the eye is still swollen.

I would recommend Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) tannins-along with water change treatment in a small QT container for 10-14 days..........

A few question....when you used the medication-did you remove the carbon in the filter-that is if you use carbon.....

Any other symptoms other than the eye....like lethargic, clamped fins, hiding, flashing, buoyancy issues, he is still eating and pooping normally, any scale or fin loss...has he ever been sick and/or treated before this time...

The tank: 1.5gal filtered, water temp, additives used, live plants, tank mates, type of decoration, do you have any water prams for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH.....

Water changes-how much and how often.....how soon did you see the eye edema after the 100% water change

If you bought him in one of those small temporary cups with a lid...this will work great for QT for the treatment-attach it to the side of the heated tank so it doesn't sink or get knocked around by the filter so you can maintain the temp in the 76-78F range while in Qt for treatment-

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water- Add Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and a tannin source-either IAL or dried Oak leaf-let this steep for 30min and use this premixed treatment water for 50% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today and Tomorrow start 100% daily water change with this premixed treatment water for the next 10-14 days...this is a treatment not a bath...so he needs to stay in this water in the QT container floating in the heated tank during this time

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals

Keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:08 PM   #5 
frostyelement

Thank you for answering so quickly.
He spends a lot of the time low in the water between the plants and his fins are clumped. Yesterday I seen he lost a little buoyancy for about two or three seconds. But when he does come up for air he’ll swim around and his fins are expanded. He eats one or two blood balls twice a day. He would eat four or five balls before this happened. And I’ve never seen him poop so I don’t know. He has not lost scales nor does he have fin loss. This is the first time he has gotten sick.
Water temp is between 76 and 80. I have four plastic sort of cloth plants that are for Bettas and small plastic fish statue. At the bottom are smooth marble rocks.
I did not remove the filter and it does have carbon.
The water had been changed a week before he developed the Popeye. As far his food goes he only likes blood balls. I have tried to offer him a wide variety of food but he won’t eat it
Old 11-19-2011, 08:20 PM   #6 
frostyelement

Old 11-20-2011, 02:29 AM   #7 
frostyelement

I was able to take better pictures of him.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #8 
frostyelement

Hello, anybody there? No one got back to me. My Valentine's eye is a lot better. It's almost back to normal, thank you for that. But now he's listless. I think all those water changes stressed him out. I also changed him to a 1gallon tank so i could do the water changes easier. Two days after starting the treatments he was scratching himself a lot on a statue. I thought maybe there could be parasites in his old tank and I tosses everything away. When I put him in the new tank all I put in there is a floating log that he can swim though and rest in. He hardly swims and stays mostly in the log or at the bottom of the tank in a vertical position. What can I do to help him perk up?
Old 12-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I know it's late but I'm bumping this up to get help.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:40 AM   #10 
frostyelement

He's in a better place

Thank you. He developed fin rot and was suffering. I euthanized him with clove oil and vodka.