Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-05-2011, 08:54 AM   #21 
bastage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian10962001 View Post
Buy direct from the drop shipper here. It will take a month to get your goods due to China shipping but they are trustworthy.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/200w-su...20v-110v-53153

Or

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/200w-aq...220-240v-53880

I'm almost willing to place money on it that these heaters are being made by the same group of manufacturers that makes the Tetra heaters. It could explain why people have issues with the Tetras not keeping even small tanks up to temp (220v vs 110v and they probably just change the plug )

At those prices there isnt much of a reason to order that. Elites are only 13-14 bucks on amazon so spending 15 & not being sure if it will even work seems like a bad gamble.
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:17 AM   #22 
Pitluvs

Just wanted to add I have tetra heaters heating a 10g, 5g and a 1.5g with no issues. All stay at 78F. I have four that work great, only one was faulty :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #23 
Brian10962001

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastage View Post
At those prices there isnt much of a reason to order that. Elites are only 13-14 bucks on amazon so spending 15 & not being sure if it will even work seems like a bad gamble.
All DX products come with free shipping, the ones on Amazon come out to nearly the same price or more when you factor that in. If you have enough things to get super saver shipping and can find a cheap one with that option it changes things. That being said Elite's are a better heater, just saying this is pretty much the same product in question
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:52 PM   #24 
bastage

Quote:
All DX products come with free shipping, the ones on Amazon come out to nearly the same price or more when you factor that in. If you have enough things to get super saver shipping and can find a cheap one with that option it changes things. That being said Elite's are a better heater, just saying this is pretty much the same product in question
Hehe.. Amazon prime for me.. No ordering extra.. I wouldnt have ordered these things if it wasnt for the very low price.. At a savings of jsut a couple bucks I will order more reputable stuff.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #25 
jman828

Quote:
Heh.. So I work in electronics of sorts.. Specifically in power generation. Walk through walmart's electronics dept & 98% of what you see was made by the cheapest bidder in china.. Its all just as questionable..

I have the told needed to test its performance & will do so before putting it in a tank with fish..
Yes, it may be true but remember, at least in walmart all stuff is UL certified and at least looks safe, I would not buy heaters DIRECTLY from China unless they were certified and even then only if they looked like ones out here and depends on the design

Quote:
Yes, but you get quality even if it is a bit more, and a longer lasting product that is once again UL certified.

Quote:
It's worth it, and Elite makes great heater I have used them for a long time and so have others, they work fantastic and the mini ones are SO small
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #26 
Thunderloon

Quote:
How wonderfully rude.
Pff, been on the other forums much? Idiots keep draining tanks past the bottom of the Marineland Stealth Pro's even though they've been recalled for exploding... I felt it necessary to indicate the most common failure state for aquarium heaters in my post because that failure state is "stupidity".

More than half the bad Tetra heaters you find at Walmart were brought back after someone plugged em in out of the water and wondered why they didn't work.

The temperature control system may be a little off on the 50/60Hz issue, but given the price point I bet its more off because of the QA issue.

I DO NOT like the glass tube it is in. Looks single wall and that blue paint won't do more than make it easy to find the big pieces of glass when it shatters and makes dinner.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:19 PM   #27 
bastage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman828 View Post
Yes, it may be true but remember, at least in walmart all stuff is UL certified and at least looks safe, I would not buy heaters DIRECTLY from China unless they were certified and even then only if they looked like ones out here and depends on the design

Yes, but you get quality even if it is a bit more, and a longer lasting product that is once again UL certified.
Negative.. Not everything bought in walmart will be UL certified.. Your placing way too much stock into UL certification.. UL along with 15 other organizations tests certain products to meet NEC code (for electronics specifically). But not all electronics are required to undergo any testing.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #28 
jman828

Yes hovever 99% of products in walmart, or any good store in Canada or the us will be UL certified. If they're not especially in Canada/us that's definately a concern...
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:40 PM   #29 
Thunderloon

Anything that generates heat using electricity MUST be UL cert for sale in US/Canada, no exceptions. You cannot insure a product without it, and you cannot sell a product without insurance.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #30 
bastage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman828 View Post
Yes hovever 99% of products in walmart, or any good store in Canada or the us will be UL certified. If they're not especially in Canada/us that's definately a concern...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderloon View Post
Anything that generates heat using electricity MUST be UL cert for sale in US/Canada, no exceptions. You cannot insure a product without it, and you cannot sell a product without insurance.
Still a big fat NEGATIVE.. UL is nothing but a Nationally Recognized Testing Lab. There are a total of 16 of them (all listed here).. Any of them carry the same weight as UL in the US.. UL is the largest, but also amoung the most expensive & the slowest. CSA is probably the 2nd largest and much faster then UL for testing..

Now what is clearly visable is the EN (European Norm) which is a European equivalent of UL. Also visable is ip68 which is a rating standard for submersion..

The typical UL ratings you see is the UL number assigned to the testing procedure. Not the actual requirements. The requirements are that of the NEC in the US or CE Code in Canada..

Quote:
Many NEC requirements refer to "listed" or "labeled" devices and appliances, and this means that the item has been designed, manufactured, tested or inspected, and marked in accordance with requirements of the listing agency. To be listed, the device has to meet the testing and other requirements set by a listing agency such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL), MET Laboratories, Inc. (MET), Intertek Group (ETL), Canadian Standards Association (CSA), and FM Approvals (FM). These are examples of "national recognized testing laboratories" (NRTLs) approved by the United States Department of Labor, Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) under the requirements of 29CFR1910.7. Only a listed device can carry the listing brand (or "mark") of the listing agency. Upon payment of an investigation fee to determine suitability, an investigation is started. To be labeled as fit for a particular purpose (for example "wet locations", "domestic range") a device must be tested for that specific use by the listing agency and then the appropriate label applied to the device. A fee is paid to the listing agency for each item so labeled, that is, for each label.
So in the end as the heater in question was not made for the US or Canadian market as apparent by its 50Hz there is no way that they would pay UL, CSA or any other NRTL to test it. Since it does show European testing labels though & in Europe they use a 50Hz grid its safe to assume that this is simply designed & intended for another market. That does not mean it will not work or even work well in the US. It just wasn't manufactured for use here.