Betta Fish Forum banner
521K views 5K replies 635 participants last post by  Lyonfish 
#1 ·
I've seen several threads regarding "Baby Betta" for sale at PetCo. I wanted to start this thread for all discussion about PetCo selling Baby Betta, pictures of your new fish or what you've seen at your local stores, and stories of our success and failures.

I am really not sure how I feel about Betta being sold so small. I know that in the hands of your average fish keeper most do not have a chance. Those that do survive to adulthood will probably spend the rest of their lives in cold water in the 1/4 gallon "tank" they have stocked with them in the display.

Regardless, after hearing about petco selling true "baby" betta, I had to go take a look. Sure enough, I saw no less then 30 colorless, unsexable almost-fry less then the size of my thumbnail, fins included.

I had no intention of actually buying one of these poor fish, but then I saw one that was slightly larger then the rest in the baby cups. This one had started to show a blue and red mix of color and was clearly a double tail. Sure enough I walked out of the store with a miniscule but potentially beautiful new fish at the low low cost of $1.99.

I brought him home on Saturday. He is in M1's old 1 gallon corner tank. My apartment is running at a cool 80 degrees and his tank is holding solid at a comfortable 78. If he makes it to be large enough, I will add him to the empty section of my divided 10 gallon. He currently eats crushed hikari and frozen bloodworms.

Not going to get too attached to his fragile little guy just yet, but my fingers are crossed.

Anyone else fall victim to this cuteness trap? Post your pictures and tell your stories.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
My Petco doesn't seem to be participating in this "Baby Betta" thing going on, I was there Saturday and they didn't have a single cup that said Baby on them, and they had just gotten a fresh supply of adults (I think we have a local breeder who supplies them.)

#3 ·
I haven't seen any at our store either, and I think I'm thankful for that. I wouldn't find raising one, but most of the bettas at our store (and most stores) are bought by parents for their hyperactive children and these little bettas won't stand a chance.

#4 · (Edited)
I would guess his age at about 2-3 months old, no more than three months.

He's a cute little guy (if he is a guy). That is pretty exciting because you are basically raising your own bettas into adults. Thats very cool! It's good for us to be able to buy them when they are still fry, but it is also, bad for the fry because just imagine how much their elders take on and can somewhat recover from, their immune system isn't even developed to take on harsh conditions in the pet stores. again, its a good think but a bad thing too.

Yours is so cute! I love the nice colors on it! And one of my favorites are DTHM or DTHMPK.

I'd like to see some updates on it, It looks like he/she'll turn into quite a beauty! And i'd like to know if it is a female or male, so if you dont end up saying on here, you can PM me!

#23 ·
.He's a cute little guy (if he is a guy). That is pretty exciting because you are basically raising your own bettas into adults. Thats very cool! It's good for us to be able to buy them when they are still fry, but it is also, bad for the fry because just imagine how much their elders take on and can somewhat recover from, their immune system isn't even developed to take on harsh conditions in the pet stores. again, its a good think but a bad thing too.quote]

It is pretty cool how you get to raise your betta. Almost like having a spawn! I tihink the best part is the surprise. You have no clue what you are going to get. But, it must suck for the fish. :(
I would love to get one but I dont know how to take care of them. Maybe in a few months.

#5 ·
I am pretty sure he is a male, but having never owned a doubletail (I'm PRETTY sure he is a DbT) i don't really know much about them.

I am really hoping he is a halfmoon double.

He is still doing well. Might try to feed him a few microworms tonight, but i think he is a little big for them.

#9 ·
For the first two weeks of the fry's life, they are essential because the fry are so small. As they grow, there are more choices for them. I feel my four month old fry crushed pellets, crushed flakes, frozen foods of several differant kinds, and microworms.

#10 ·
I fell for it. Or, well, my family did. I had mentioned wanting a fish and they came home with this little bitty thing in a bowl. I immediately thought fish abuse and did my research. Now, a week later I have a 5 gallon 8 sided type tank with a heater and filter. I still need to go out and get a thermometer and some good food. But I'm still really new at this and I have a lot of questions. This is also my first post to the thread.

My betta (when I learn how to post pics I will) is about half the size of my pinky, maybe a bit smaller. I haven't had the time to look too much into the sex and type, but I THINK it's a girl...then again, it's a young fish so I might not be able to tell yet. I can't tell an age...maybe you guys have a general idea given the approx. size?

If it is a girl, her name is Temperance. If not, it's Rick Castle -but that chat is for later.

I'm really concerned about the feeding. I have this zoo med betta food that grows when you put it in the water. My little fish can hardly hold it in her mouth and it takes her over three minutes to eat it. So far I've been feeding her 3 times every other day and doing it in cyces. One the night before, one in the morning, and one in the evening -because it takes her so long to eat it and honestly the food (once submerged) is larger than her eye- I really don't want her to bloat up. But she kind of gives me that look (I'm sure you all know it) like she's starving so today I gave her two pellets in her night feed. She looks like she wants more...decieving fish.

Still doing my research, but I saw this thread and decided since I got 1.99 fishy from petcoe I may as well post :)

After exams I hope to have everything for her (or him). I know I want to get better food, some blood worms, a thermometer, softer plants...possibly a larger heater (I think mine is for 1-3 gallon?) and a Castle that's softer on the fins. And any thing else she/he needs. Me and this fish have really bonded. Never thought I'd bond with a fish but she/he follows my finger and hangs out on the side of the tank by my bed all the time. She/he is the coolest little fish...

Thanks!

#194 · (Edited)
If it is a girl, her name is Temperance. If not, it's Rick Castle -but that chat is for later.
OMG Castle is my favorite showww! :-D One more week until the season premiere! *flails*

Hehe sorry...

Regarding the baby bettas,
I've seen baby bettas in Petco of differing sizes, but I went into Petco last week one time, and there was one that was about the size of my pinky nail. I've never seen a baby betta as big as the OP's tho.

Oh, and I just realized this thread is REALLY old.

#11 ·
Welcome to the forum, Mariah!. :) I'm glad you've been bitten by the betta bug. You will have so much fun watching your little pal grow up.

For your baby, since (s)he is so small, I recommend New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula .5mm pellets. These pellets are seriously small so they should be really easy for your betta to eat. Feed only 1-2 at a time although I admit it will be very hard to just pick out a few. When your betta gets bigger, I'd recommend New Life Spectrum Betta formula pellets or Omega One Betta Buffet pellets. Both are really good foods.

It really helps to have an adjustable heater too because on the hopefully rare chance your betta may get sick, you may need to turn the heat up higher than normal.

Oh, and posting pics. If you have the file already uploaded onto Photobucket, then click on the icon next to the globe with the link (second icon from the end). Copy and paste the address into that. It'll post the pic. If the file isn't uploaded anywhere, then go down below the message box and click Go Advanced. Up above the message box, click on the paper clip icon. A new window opens up. Click upload your file, find the file, and upload. Repeat as necessary, then close the window when your down and click submit reply.

#12 ·
I think the pic is attached. It's from my ipod so the quality is really bad and i think it's crooked. But after searching around some more...I'm concerned. As you can see in the picture there a parts of she/he that are missing the blue...and I'm not sure if that's because of the age, doensn't have all of the color yet, or is it means the fish is sick? Also on the tail there are tiny little black dots, again I'm not sure if its part of the color or not.

Very concerned now. Won't be sleeping because of my poor fish!

Attachments

#13 ·
Yup, I can see the pic. The black dots on the tail are part of the tail pattern. All bettas have some kind of ray patterning to their tails. The white parts, are they fuzzy or do they just look like the color is drained out of them a little? If they just look drained, then it's either your betta's natural coloring or (s)he may be a little stressed and still adjusting to his or her new home. If that's the case, then the white spots are stress stripes and will go away as your betta settles in.

#18 ·
Looks like a little girl to me..veil tale. Half the size of your pinky, the males would be showing the longer fins. My newest male is a little over an inch body wise with long fins.

She's a cutie!

#19 ·
I got one a few days ago but it died in like 24 hours :cry: I went back today and there were about 10 baby's and ALL were dead. And the adults they had all looked ready to keel over.

However about a week or two ago I picked up a tiny CT. It was labled as a CT female and not a baby but she is pretty tiny. She can eat new life spectrum pellets. They are small but I dont they they are the tiny pellets though.

Heartstrings - in a 1 gallon tank.

Moved her into a divided 10G

#21 ·
I think to sell the baby bettas it's cruel. D: I dont have a petco where I live, and I'm glad.

#25 ·
I have one that has survived almost 2 weeks now. My newest addition came from a sad situation in the store also. She (I'm pretty sure at least) is definitely higher maintenance than my others, but in a different way than some of my other "rescues". She gave me quite a scare last week when after opening her tank lid to do a water change, I realized that I forgot the net and in that short period of time, she jumped out and fell almost 3 feet onto the floor. I was sure she was a goner, but has done pretty good after that first night. I knew bettas jumped, but I hadn't ever experienced it before. I've never bred or raised young ones before, so any tips and advice would be welcome. I'll try and upload a picture from my BlackBerry soon. Thanks!

#28 ·
She looks like a little cutie! I like her tiny dorsal fin. If I had to guess the sex just from the picture it will be a Female since so far her ventral fins are small and look "female." Though you can't be too sure right now because it could be a he too, but I still would say she is a female (for right now).

Is it okay to call it a female right now?

#29 ·
I still would say she is a female (for right now).

Is it okay to call it a female right now?
I think it looks like a female, too, but then this is my first betta and anyone else here would know more :)

She doesn't have any color at all, I think the camera flash made the blueish sheen in the photo.

Anyway, I will post more photos here as she grows. When I decided to get her I figured I wouldn't know what she would look like but since I was getting her so young I would have her for a longer time :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.