Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-05-2011, 09:17 PM   #1 
ErrantWhimsy

Trading my Fluval Edge for a 10 gallon so I can start a community tank! Suggestions?

I have a Fluval Edge that I got at the LFS before it closed down for $35. However pretty it is, it has some major design flaws that make fish keeping tough. So I am trading it with a local fishkeeper for a full 10 gallon setup.

I currently have 4 tetras (two black, two orange) and 1 new betta in separate small tanks. Can I combine them into a community tank? Should I be trading those tetras for all of a single schooling species since there are so few of each?

Can I turn it into a planted tank, or do I need things like CO2 injection? What are good starter plants, and what is required for their upkeep?

Thanks!
ErrantWhimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:33 PM   #2 
SmokeNLark

The best tank mates for bettas are cory cats. They're small, peaceful bottom-dwellers. Personally, I wouldn't add the tetras. Any tetra species needs 6+ to be happy. And 2 each of 2 different kinds won't satisfy that. Also, some species are very nippy and most are very quick which can stress a betta out. Another good species would be a trio of platys. They're bright and easy to keep. Every betta is different though. He may get along with tankmates, he may not. Or he might get along with one species and not another.

You can definitely plant it! There are many easy to keep plants. The best starter plants are java fern, anubias, marimo ball, anarchis, java moss and wisteria. These are all low light, hardy plants. No need for CO2. Fertilizer is always appreciated, but not necessary. They are more forgiving of incorrect lighting as well. The anubias, java moss, and java fern do best attached to driftwood (and look gorgeous) These are plants that can basically live with no additional care. I do like to add fertilizer and get the correct spectrum of lighting. You can read the plant sticky too. Lots of good information :)
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:35 PM   #3 
ErrantWhimsy

Thanks Smoke N Lark! I was offered a trade of young panda platys for the tetras, would that be a good idea?
Old 12-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #4 
SmokeNLark

As long as they get along, it should be fine :) Just be sure to get either all females, all males, or 1 male and 2 females. They do breed like rabbits, so if you don't want babies to deal with, get all the same gender. And I would get the tank cycled before adding the platys.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:08 AM   #5 
Brian10962001

UGH you wouldn't happen to be in Indana would you? I'll trade you a 10 gallon all day for the edge
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #6 
bastage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian10962001 View Post
UGH you wouldn't happen to be in Indana would you? I'll trade you a 10 gallon all day for the edge
I would trade a 20 for it.. I like the edge, though it is not the best enviornment for betta's..
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #7 
ErrantWhimsy

Yeah, I left about a half inch at the top and my betta was okay in it, but didn't thrive so I got him a regular 5 gallon. I really just want a small community tank that can sit on my desk, considering I will probably be moving, possibly cross country, in May.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #8 
Thunderloon

only really good companion for tetras is tetras... I've got guppies in tank with some and its working out for the most part, but the tetra still "browse" the guppy fins when they get hungry.

Most tetra will eat a male betta's fins when they sleep.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #9 
Brian10962001

Guppies will do the same! My single guppy decided to start nipping the females fins out of the blue.
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 gallon, fluval edge, planted tank