Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-06-2011, 12:44 AM   #1 
mountaintrout

can i use wild river nymphs to feed my bettas

I live on a blue ribbon trout stream. A tailwater. The Missouri river head. My river is so full of nymphs and eggs and larva. 2 minutes to the water. Can I scrape off the natural bugs for my bettas? There is such a variety and also mosses and plants....any thoughts?

Thank you
mountaintrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:47 AM   #2 
trilobite

Thats what I do with greeblies I find in ponds and streams, they love it. Becareful of plants/mosses though they can become pests and overrun your tank, I accidentally got some duckweed while bug hunting and now I cant get rid of the stuff.
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:57 AM   #3 
mountaintrout

Thank you for the help trilobite. Love the screen name
mountaintrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #4 
tpocicat

I would love some duckweed, funny I can't get enough of it. To help with bubble nests and such.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:58 PM   #5 
trilobite

No probs trilobites are pretty exciting creatures.
@Topicat, if you lived near me I would give you every last drop of my duckweed. When I first found those few little leaves in my tank I though "heck yeah, free plant!" but literally a month later it covered the whole surface of the tank, clogged up filters, it was even making double layers because the stuff wouldnt fit in the tank. Then if the water level evaporates ever so slightly and the weed sticks to the sides of the tank and dries up and becomes impossible to get off so now there are disgusting waterlines marked by dried duckweed....The fish lke it though...
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #6 
Fasht

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobite View Post
No probs trilobites are pretty exciting creatures.
@Topicat, if you lived near me I would give you every last drop of my duckweed. When I first found those few little leaves in my tank I though "heck yeah, free plant!" but literally a month later it covered the whole surface of the tank, clogged up filters, it was even making double layers because the stuff wouldnt fit in the tank. Then if the water level evaporates ever so slightly and the weed sticks to the sides of the tank and dries up and becomes impossible to get off so now there are disgusting waterlines marked by dried duckweed....The fish lke it though...
do you have the regular duck weed or the giant duck weeds? I have 5 giant duck weeds that I got from a petstore and now they're about 11 of em in about 2 weeks and I love them so much and It's soo much easier to control them rather than the small ones
Fasht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:50 AM   #7 
tpocicat

I have both, I don't understand it, but the little ones just don't multiply for me.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote