Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2011, 04:30 PM   #1 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Cool Getting a Betta for X-Mas! Just would like some advice.

So, for X-Mas I am getting a betta, 4 cory cats and a mystery snail to go in a ten gallon tank. I just have a few questions.

1. Will those fish get along?

2. Will they be over-crowded in that tank?

3. How old are the betta's they sell at petsmart?

4. How do you perform a water change?

5. How big will the mystery snail get?

6. Is there any certain breed or gender of betta that is best for a begginer?

7. If I get the tank set up on Boxing Day, when can I put the fishies in?

8. Which of the fish would be best to put in first?
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #2 
EvilVOG

1. Will those fish get along? Should, that's what alot of people around here have

2. Will they be over-crowded in that tank? close to, but it should be ok

3. How old are the betta's they sell at petsmart? who knows?

4. How do you perform a water change? usually siphon

5. How big will the mystery snail get? idk

6. Is there any certain breed or gender of betta that is best for a begginer? i would avoid newer designer breeds like rosetail, feathertail, but you probably won't see those at petsmart. Other than that the Dragonscale bettas i see at petsmart tend to be dead or dying.

7. If I get the tank set up on Boxing Day, when can I put the fishies in? filtered or non filtered tank?

8. Which of the fish would be best to put in first? don't think it matters really, but somone with better knowledege should come along shortly
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

1. Will those fish get along? It really depends on several factors like the personality of your betta and how much plant cover you provide.

2. Will they be over-crowded in that tank? Cories are very active fish and IMO do better in a tank 20 gallons or more but with correct water changes you can make it work.

3. How old are the betta's they sell at petsmart? It varies, some of the smaller ones are probably 3 months old while the fully grown ones are probably closer to 6 months. There's no way to know for sure.

4. How do you perform a water change? You'll need to get a gravel siphon. Then all you do is unplug the heater (which you need) and the filter (which I suggest getting), start the siphon and remove 50% of the water. Use the end of the siphon to vacuum up uneated food and waste from the gravel.

You can do a youtube search to see videos on how to vacuum a tank.

Refill the tank with dechlorinated water that is roughly the same temperature as the water already in your tank.

5. How big will the mystery snail get? At most 2 in in diameter. IME the tend to max out at 1.5 inches when kept in tropical tanks.

6. Is there any certain breed or gender of betta that is best for a begginer? Not really. A short finned male or female will be eaiser in terms of avoiding fin rot or tail biting but as long as you keep up with water changes you should be able to keep any tail type you want.

7. If I get the tank set up on Boxing Day, when can I put the fishies in? I suggest looking into doing a fishless cycle. You can search the forum for more information but basically what you are doing is establishing a bacteria colony in your tank. These bacteria "eat" the chemicals let off from the fish's waste and convert it into a chemical that is not as toxic to them. Doing this allows you to only have to do partial water changes instead of full water changes.

The draw back of this is it takes about a month to do. You can do it with the fish in there but not with the cories or snail because they are too sensitive. I still highly recommend cycling the tank because it will make everything much easier on you.

However if you decide against cycling it is best to let the tank run for at least 24 hours prior to adding the fish, this allows the water temperature to become stable and for the decorations and everything to settle and remove any trapped air bubbles.

8. Which of the fish would be best to put in first? When you are ready to add fish always go from least aggressive to most aggressive. I'd put the snail in first, followed by the cories, and then the betta.

Look up how to properly acclimate the fish before adding them, this will keep them from going into shock.

Look at the sticky on bringing home your first betta in the Betta Care section. I think it will help you out a lot
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #4 
Kytkattin

1. Will those fish get along? Maybe. You always have to have a back-up plan when you keep fish together. If this is your only tank, I don't recommend the corys.

2. Will they be over-crowded in that tank? With the snail, yes. I would either get corys or snails, not both. Again, if this is your first tank, take it easy on yourself and don't overstock. Understock.

3. How old are the betta's they sell at petsmart? Anywhere from 6 months and up! 6 months is average. Females will be younger, as young as 4 months, maybe younger.

4. How do you perform a water change? The easiest way is with a siphon, aka, gravel vac, into a bucket. Then you dump the old water, treat the new water (we recommend Prime), make sure the temp is the same, and slowly pour the new water in.

5. How big will the mystery snail get? They can get quite large. There is a reason their other name is 'apple snail'.

6. Is there any certain breed or gender of betta that is best for a begginer? Males veiltails are the most common. Halfmoons and even some deltas are more prone to tail biting than any others. A plakat would be good for such a large tank. He would have an easier time swimming than the longer tailed varieties.

7. If I get the tank set up on Boxing Day, when can I put the fishies in? Do you have a filter? Are you going to cycle (yes, you pretty much have to). To do a fishless cycle you have to add ammonia in order to get a bacteria cycle started that helps to break down fish waste and keeps the water from becoming toxic (hence why I don't recommend so many fish, getting the cycle stable is harder with too many). Cycling takes anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months.

8. Which of the fish would be best to put in first? Again, I am only going to recommend snails or corys as tankmates for a betta, not both. It would be better to have them in first, so the betta might be less inclined to attack them, though maybe not.

What supplies will you be getting? This is my short list and the products I recommend:

Water conditioner (Prime)
Heater (just make sure it is adjustable. Something that is 50+ watts)
Filter (Hagen Aquaclear)
Silk or live plants. Make sure you have a lot if you are doing a community. If they are silk, make sure you run a pair of pantyhose over them to make sure they don't snag, if they do, they will snag your fish's fins.
A thermometer. Temp needs to stay around (78-80*)
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #5 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I am using a filter.
Could I have 2 ADF's instead of the cories and snail?

Last edited by MaisyDawgThirteen; 12-07-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #6 
Kytkattin

I wouldn't put more than 3 or 4. Though you can get one in blue, black, and gold! They are actually way more entertaining than you might think. And beautiful too. I love watching their little mouths move along the glass. :) So start with one snail, and then work your way up from that, with the betta last.

The other good thing about getting snails is that you can feed them stuff like cucumbers and lettuce, which your betta won't eat. A few members have been having problems with their bettas overeating by eating the cory cat's food. :/
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:34 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
I am using a filter.
Could I have 2 ADF's instead of the cories and snail?
I don't recommend keeping ADF's with bettas. They have poor eye sight and are weak swimmers and prone to being bullied by bettas and starving because the bettas eat all their food.

You should be fine with the cories and snail as long as you keep up with water changes.. AT LEAST 50% a week and you'll be just fine.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:44 PM   #8 
Myates

You have some good advice from the two above me, Kyt and 1fish.. so nothing more is really needed by me. Only thing I want to add is.. (other then what was mentioned about tail biting) you can get any tail type you like and fall in love with- it's not the tail type that makes the betta, but the genetics from the breeder and their own personality. A halfmoon is not going to be harder to keep or will live any longer/shorter then a veiltail. Dragonscales are the same as non-dragonscales in terms of keeping- it's their looks that are different. They all require the same thing, same heat, food, baffling, etc. So basically.. just find one you fall for, one that makes you go "squee!". That is what matters, most males have the long fins- plakats I believe are the only exception. But the females color up pretty and have just as much fun personality as a male, and can get away with a less baffled filter then the males.. but other then that, their care is the same. There are no real "designer breeds" out there.. just different tail types.. and those tail types don't change the way each one is cared for.

Good luck and share a picture once you get it up and going!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #9 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Thankyou so much for all of your help!
I love those snails. : D They are fun to just stare at in petsmart. :)