Housing
What size is your tank? 1.75 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Food, Top Fin Freeze-dried bloodworms, Hikari brine shrimp.
How often do you feed your betta fish?
2-3 pellets once a day. I substitute the pellets with the brine shrimp (a very small amount) or a bloodworm once a week each.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I don't know. The water was just changed about five hours ago.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Just a little bloating. I haven't fed him since 7-8 hours ago.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not really
When did you start noticing the symptoms? He can swim forward normally just not downwards.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Probably 2-3 years.

He only started showing this within the past hour. It worries me because I had another betta that started acting like this and died while I was fasting him for constipation. Link's at least being active. My other boy wasn't. I'd rather not wait to make sure I'm right this time around instead of waking up to him being dead. :/
Miakemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:43 AM   #2 
earthworm88

Hi,
Sorry your Link is having a bit of a buoyancy problem. SBD is very common, but we still need to worry and figure out what is causing it. For now, put him on a Epsom salt treatment. 1 tsp per 1 gal of conditioned water. Keep him in there at all times, and repeat 100% water change with ES daily for the next few days. Fast him for the next 2 days. In the meantime, observe for any other change of behavior or color.

Good luck. Don't worry too much for now, lots of bettas get an episode here and there and easily recovered if intervene on time.

Cheers!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:44 AM   #3 
Miakemi

Thank you! I'll have to buy some epsom salt tomorrow. Can you find it at Walmart?
Miakemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:57 AM   #4 
earthworm88

Yes, you can buy them everywhere except pet stores The scientific name is Magnesium Sulfate but commonly known as Epsom Salt. Make sure it's not scented or colored.

Good luck!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote