Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2011, 02:13 AM   #11251 
Foolschild

I guess this goes here...

I will admit to working in one of those pet store that this forum has mixed feelings about and this is a story more than a rant (I guess that really I just want to get it off my chest).

I was helping a couple chose some fish when I noticed that one of our small female bettas was acting kind of strange. So I set her aside and finished helping the customers. It was kind of busy today so I didn't get to look at her real closely until later in the evening and when I felt so awful for her. She was so obviously in pain that I could almost feel it myself, and upon closer inspection I found that she was suffering from what I think is early stages of dropsy. I felt so bad for her, she is currently in one of our isolation tanks being treated, but she is so young that I don't know if she will make it.

The image of her struggling to survive is/has been haunting me all night, and I think I really just needed to share it with someone/someones who would understand how sad it made me.
Foolschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:21 AM   #11252 
Sakura8

Will do. :D But seriously, that's a major bummer your ex got involved too. Like life isn't complicated enough. Hurray for blocking people!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:25 AM   #11253 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolschild View Post
I guess this goes here...

I will admit to working in one of those pet store that this forum has mixed feelings about and this is a story more than a rant (I guess that really I just want to get it off my chest).

I was helping a couple chose some fish when I noticed that one of our small female bettas was acting kind of strange. So I set her aside and finished helping the customers. It was kind of busy today so I didn't get to look at her real closely until later in the evening and when I felt so awful for her. She was so obviously in pain that I could almost feel it myself, and upon closer inspection I found that she was suffering from what I think is early stages of dropsy. I felt so bad for her, she is currently in one of our isolation tanks being treated, but she is so young that I don't know if she will make it.

The image of her struggling to survive is/has been haunting me all night, and I think I really just needed to share it with someone/someones who would understand how sad it made me.
Hi Foolschild and welcome to the forum. Thank you for sharing your story. I do think sometimes we forget that not all pet store employees are created equal. Some of them may not care about the animals but others, like you, do care. And for the ones who do care, I extend my thanks because the animals sure do need people like you. I do realize that there's only so much an employee can do because of store/company regulations but sometimes it's easy to forget that. You obviously care deeply about animals and even if that little female passes, at least someone out there cared about her and felt her distress. She won't have died alone and forgotten. Thank you, Foolschild.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:42 AM   #11254 
Foolschild

Quote:
Hi Foolschild and welcome to the forum. Thank you for sharing your story. I do think sometimes we forget that not all pet store employees are created equal. Some of them may not care about the animals but others, like you, do care. And for the ones who do care, I extend my thanks because the animals sure do need people like you. I do realize that there's only so much an employee can do because of store/company regulations but sometimes it's easy to forget that. You obviously care deeply about animals and even if that little female passes, at least someone out there cared about her and felt her distress. She won't have died alone and forgotten. Thank you, Foolschild.
Thank you! This made me cry, but in a good way because while I know that everything dies for some reason I couldn't bring myself to say that she was "just a fish". I felt like she had touched my life and that she deserves better than what she got. I think if she does make it through this I will probably end up bringing her home, just because she has affected me so deeply. I am glad that I at least found a place where I can say how much she means and have people understand. So thank you again!
Foolschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:47 AM   #11255 
Sakura8

You're welcome, Foolschild. *hugs* You did us a service to by reminding us that pet store employees are people too (yes, we tend to demonize you guys, sorry about that >.>). If she does make it and you do bring her home, we're more than happy to help you out in any way possible. Somewhere in Colorado, there is a pet store where the bettas aren't forgotten on their shelves and an employee really does care about them. :D
Old 12-08-2011, 10:54 AM   #11256 
tpocicat

Foolschild, I'm really touched that you care so much. I hope the little bettas survives.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #11257 
Pataflafla

On monday my papa went to the hospital for chest pain. He was convinced it was just his esophagus and that everything was fine. Turns out it was a heart attack (Healthy cardiac level is .07 and his was at 21) and that, should any more happen, he runs the risk of not being saved.

He's home safely now, but on top of this news, I was diagnosed with shingles today along with a self-diagnosed flu (Aches and running a low-grade fever). Since shingles is contagious, I have to get a doctor's note, bring it to work, and stay off work until things clear up. This can take 2-4 weeks.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #11258 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry about your papa. I'm sure they're doing all they can for him. I've heard that shingles is very painful. I hope you get to feeling better.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #11259 
Rosso1011

Our LPS that is 20mins away has Boston Terrier mix puppies in. The bad news... My apt doesn't allow cats or dogs. T.T
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #11260 
tpocicat

My camera came, that's the good news. The bad news is that it doesn't have a memory card or a computer cable. Now I have to wait until pay day before I can use my new camera.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou