Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #11 
tpocicat

I agree!^
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #12 
trilobite

From what I read (but can't find it anywhere) was that blue irids are the top layer of colouring on a betta so the silver dragon scales cant cover the blue...or something like that.

Anyways I found this snippet of info, I'll try and find the other piece that explained why its difficult or impossible.

" The characteristic thick, silvery/white metallic layer on the body is typically found red, yellow, orange, white and black "dragons". In case of red, yellow and orange "dragons" this layer can be observed in both light- and darkbodied fish.
Interestingly, so far this characteristic silvery/white metallic layer has not been observed in darkbodied bettas with a classical iridescentcolor (steel blue, turquoise or royal blue) of the body and finnage.The picture shows an imaginary example of what the authors mean with this.
In case of a dark bodied "dragons" with a classical iridescent base,the silvery/white appearance seems to be masked although based onmacroscopic observation (with the naked eye) their scaling definitely seems to differ from a regular metallic fish by being more solid. There have been reports of red and black dragons with a blueish shine ontheir scaling but so far no real blue "dragons" with this typical thick, silvery/white scaling have been developed. It would be interesting to find out whether it is possible to obtain a the thick,silvery/white metallic layer back after crossing a blue or copper"dragon" as depicted above to a red, yellow, orange or black betta"

Heres what a true blue dragon would look like (been photoshoped)
Name:  Dragons-Bluedragon(customizedJoepvanEsch).jpg
Views: 75
Size:  33.9 KB
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:12 AM   #13 
bettalover2033

@trilobite: You've helped a lot! I really have great interest and hey I know it will take years, but i'd like to attempt it.

I'm sure many of you are probably saying, "he's a dreamer", but I think with a lot of time and patients, its possible. Of course it will be frustrating, I wouldn't want to give into it though. I think it would be really cool to finally see a blue dragon already! Even if I had no take in it.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #14 
bettalover2033

Okay well I have finally found a TRUE Blue Dragon!

This picture isn't owned by me. This picture is owned by a person named Yudy Gondrong. This is really amazing me!

I love marbles and this is one heck of a marble! I also know that marbles NEVER have a "solid color." Even when it isn't seen by the "naked eye" there are still changes.

Read this article and you will understand the whole thing. Trust me I dont know genetics and i can definitely say this is pretty easy and straight forward!

http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...articleid=1114
Old 12-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #15 
TequilatheBetta

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFI0Y...eature=related
may be edited somehow, but i doubt it cause it's a video :)
TequilatheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:21 PM   #16 
bettalover2033

@TequilatheBetta: YES,YES!!! That't it! He is the one! Hes the one that I posted in the picture (that doesnt work) :(... you got to this address link, you will see it in their avatar picture:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000716777878

Also that might just be the same one, but i might be wrong. Also Yes I guess blue dragons have been successfully bred lol.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:27 AM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

Man, that is a beautiful fish!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:53 AM   #18 
trilobite

@bettalover2033 creating a blue dragon would be a very fun and interesting goal to aim towards

The fish in that video is amazing!!

He looks like his colour came from marble. I wonder if he still looks like this. This so far is the only known way to create fish that look like "blue dragons"
For me a true blue dragon would be a darkbodied fish like we see on black and red dragons with white scales on top.But instead of a black or red body the fish woud have a blue body with white scales ontop, kinda like..
Name:  bbl.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  49.1 KB

Anyways I found the other info
Quote:
The deepest layer is yellow, followed by red, then black and finally the irridescent layer which is blue and green (or metallic).
A blue dragon betta needs to have a "non-irridescent" blue base as shown in the edited picture, which is impossible given the nature of the colour layers. Blue would exist in the irridescent layer which would be the "dragon scale" layer, hence not likely to get it white with a blue dragon. Only possibility is if we used a cambodian or marble based fish to get blue fins and a "dragon body". However, the light body will not show off the dragon scales as well cos of the lack of contrast between the scales on a dark background.
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:02 PM   #19 
bettalover2033

Wow that is really interesting! I think I will still attempt this in the later future!