Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2011, 05:57 PM   #11 
Thunderloon

My local where I discovered them has a girl who DOES care for them every day and the aquarium lead also is feeding them.

The problem with shipping fry is simple: the earlier in life you starve ANYTHING the worse off, slower growing and shorter lived it will be.
These tiny things are just at the stage where their growth becomes driven by hormones and if they aren't fed real food they will begin consuming their own calcium and protein sources. Someplace back in the records you can find where I tried to recover a male I named Flop. He didn't make it because there wasn't enough left of him to successfully digest food.

In my local store's case, I'm fairly certain the care they're given is enough that if the "baby betta" is given a warm clean safe tank with proper maintenance it will survive for much of its life expectancy. The problem with schemes like this is they're simply corner cuts and this one reminds me of a cartoon where the ice cream truck was handing out pints of heavy cream and tongue depressors. There are just some things very few people are prepared to do at home.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:01 PM   #12 
fishman12

^That's too bad. Poor Flop.
It might also be that puppies, kittens tend to sell better than full grown Maybe people will be like, "Awww! A baby! Let's get it!"
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:44 PM   #13 
Thunderloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman12 View Post
^That's too bad. Poor Flop.
It might also be that puppies, kittens tend to sell better than full grown Maybe people will be like, "Awww! A baby! Let's get it!"

Puppy farm puppies rarely live perfectly healthy lives, whereas ones you get from a show dog owner where the mother was helped out with a bottle often live longer than you can accommodate them.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:18 PM   #14 
gossipgirl1031

I purchased one from a local Petco this past Friday and learned AFTER I took it home how much care it would require. I have been trying to do some research on the internet and haven't found much. Any suggestions are welcome! So far, I have been trying to keep her (at least I think it's a girl) warm, but not too warm, feed more often than adults and water changes. She has a great appetite and seems to be happy swimming around in her tank. When she gets a little bigger and stronger I plan on moving her into a bigger tank. She makes #6 for me now. I have a King male, 2 male veil tails, 1 male crown tail and possibly now 2 female veil tails. Thanks!
gossipgirl1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:18 AM   #15 
kfryman

I think next time I go to my petco I will talk to them about keeping the baby bettas. I know they are cute but they are going to end up with a bad owner and suffer, instead of thrive because they are just simply too young. I am going to try to talk a manager or someone that will care.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #16 
Thunderloon

I bought the girl who cares for them at my local a bag of Marine-s to crack and feed them.

We spent about an hour sexing them by startle to see which were definitely girls and I got a couple.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossipgirl1031 View Post
I purchased one from a local Petco this past Friday and learned AFTER I took it home how much care it would require. I have been trying to do some research on the internet and haven't found much. Any suggestions are welcome! So far, I have been trying to keep her (at least I think it's a girl) warm, but not too warm, feed more often than adults and water changes. She has a great appetite and seems to be happy swimming around in her tank. When she gets a little bigger and stronger I plan on moving her into a bigger tank. She makes #6 for me now. I have a King male, 2 male veil tails, 1 male crown tail and possibly now 2 female veil tails. Thanks!
Hi gossipgirl and welcome to the forum. I would keep it in a 1.5-2 gallon tank for now and change the water every 2-3 days. Keep the water temperature around 80-81 degrees. It should be fed 3 times a day and feed it frozen baby brine shrimp and some New Life Spectrum growth formula. That's the best advice I can think of right now. I'm sure some other members will give you some more advice. Good luck with your baby and if you can post some pics, that would be great. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:38 PM   #18 
Thunderloon

^^

I've been feeding my girls Marine-S Hikkari pellets, they soften up pretty quick and even the tiny little girl I got tonight was able to gnaw through one.

Most of the food choice depends on what you can get locally. I've used Hikkari Marine-S, Fancy Guppy and Micro Wafers. Of all the different freeze dried blood worms I prefer the Omega One but I avoid their flakes like the plague.

Easiest way to determine sex on a young betta is to startle it. Males will dart around and females will hide and show stress lines. The males cannot show stress lines tho they WILL usually display a youth stripe down their side that can look like one.

The regular little feedings and temperature of the water as well as the cleanliness of the handling are very important for the young ones. If you stop seeing fresh poo in the bowl, stop feeding and watch them closely, sometimes they grow quick enough that their guts simply don't need to dump as often.

The smallest girl I ever brought home was Emerald, she was also the only one that stayed green, at 18mm lip to fin tip. She had a visible ovipositor.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #19 
steftravels

I wonder if they are doing this so they can save the cost of having to raise them knowing how many die.. this way they can sell them while they are young and hopefully get rid of them before they put too much money and care into them and before anything happens.. I can see a lot of little kids wanting them because they want a baby fish. Parents would buy it not knowing how delicate the fish was.
steftravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:57 AM   #20 
Arashi Takamine

This is worse then that Killifish shipping company who was selling those things as dehydrated eggs. I really think I'll do some serious damage to someone if I see this. Trust me...I nearly offed a WalMart employee from a betta almost dying infront of me I flagged down the manager and told him I felt like I walked into hell. That got him scared looking and flagged down employee's to the section at least.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote