Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-10-2011, 03:20 AM   #1 
iLikeBetta808

i'm getting a new betta for Christmas~

hello! my name is Celine, i'm new to this forum!~
i just wanted to share my story first. :)

i got a betta as a birthday gift(shown in avatar). my friends put it in a large vase with decorations and gave it to me during school. and as a former betta owner, i saw that it had fin rot and i didn't like the fact that they gave it to me during school because i had to carry it around.
i quickly went to petco to buy food, a tank, plants, etc. i realized i forgot medicine and my betta died a week later.

my friends knew i was upset because i always wanted a pet fish. i heard that one of my friends bought me a betta for christmas, so i'm planning to buy more supplies.
i still have water conditioner, pellets, 1 gal. tank & tank decorations from my other fish. i just made a checklist of what to buy, and i wanted to know if i'm missing anything. pls check for me, and thank you in advance ^~^
  • 25watt submersible aquarium heater
  • API Aquarium salt
  • ATI Aquarium thermometer
  • API Splendid Betta BettaFix Remedy

Last edited by iLikeBetta808; 12-10-2011 at 03:22 AM.
iLikeBetta808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:49 AM   #2 
LittleBettas

Bettafix has a chemical/substance (I think its tree oil?) that damages their labrinth organ, its a big no no

25 watts is kind of a lot for a 1 gallon..... theres a 5 watts per gallon rule... but honestly, anything unde 2 gallons (even that!) is HARD to heat and maintain the heat of

It would be a LOT easier to upgrade either a 2.5 gallon ($12 at petsmart with no hood or anything) or spend the extra money and get a 5 gallon or 10 gallo complete set up (the bigger the betta!) not only do they enjoy the space, itseasier on you (not as many water changes)

Espom salt (a must IMO) used for swim bldder problems (caused by overfeeding or improper food normally)
Also: Marcyn (spell?) one and two
lots of plants and at least one hding place (I use coffee mugs in my 5 gallon, cheap and they work great)... if you can.. live plants are great
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #3 
Myates

LittleBettas is correct when it comes to bettafix- not something I would recommend.

AQ salt is great to have on hand, and as mentioned above, Epsom Salt as well. You can buy it in the pharmacy section of most stores such as Walmart.

For a 1 gal, I would look for 10-25 watt heater.. but again, if you can find a 25 watt adjustable, I would give that a try first, as the preset ones are tricky and not reliable in a smaller tank. At least with the adjustable you are able to move it around to find what works best for your tank. And if in the future you decide to get a bigger tank, you can use it :) Just make sure to keep a good eye on the temp.. don't let it get above 84*F (they can live up into the 90s, but ideal is 78-80)

One suggestion though- even though I believe a 1 gallon is great for them (I personally have a couple in 1 gallons, one of them is more energetic and happy in it then anything larger), you could always look into the PetCo kritter keepers- the medium and large sizes are 1.75 and 2.75 gallons and both cost $10 or less, which can hold a heater great, and if your 1 gallon has a filter, you can use it in there too, if not.. no filter needed. A desk lamp, or a small lamp with 40 watts or under for the light works perfect with them. It's just an idea- kritter keepers make great little tanks for cheap. Otherwise, your 1 gal is just fine as long as you do the appropriate water changes :)

Want pics once you get it set up!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:48 AM   #4 
iLikeBetta808

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettas View Post
Bettafix has a chemical/substance (I think its tree oil?) that damages their labrinth organ, its a big no no

25 watts is kind of a lot for a 1 gallon..... theres a 5 watts per gallon rule... but honestly, anything unde 2 gallons (even that!) is HARD to heat and maintain the heat of

It would be a LOT easier to upgrade either a 2.5 gallon ($12 at petsmart with no hood or anything) or spend the extra money and get a 5 gallon or 10 gallo complete set up (the bigger the betta!) not only do they enjoy the space, itseasier on you (not as many water changes)

Espom salt (a must IMO) used for swim bldder problems (caused by overfeeding or improper food normally)
Also: Marcyn (spell?) one and two
lots of plants and at least one hding place (I use coffee mugs in my 5 gallon, cheap and they work great)... if you can.. live plants are great
i was trying to look for lower wattage and this was what i could find at Petco. was also thinking of buying bigger tank because it said 2 gal. thank you! :)
Old 12-10-2011, 11:51 AM   #5 
iLikeBetta808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
LittleBettas is correct when it comes to bettafix- not something I would recommend.

AQ salt is great to have on hand, and as mentioned above, Epsom Salt as well. You can buy it in the pharmacy section of most stores such as Walmart.

For a 1 gal, I would look for 10-25 watt heater.. but again, if you can find a 25 watt adjustable, I would give that a try first, as the preset ones are tricky and not reliable in a smaller tank. At least with the adjustable you are able to move it around to find what works best for your tank. And if in the future you decide to get a bigger tank, you can use it :) Just make sure to keep a good eye on the temp.. don't let it get above 84*F (they can live up into the 90s, but ideal is 78-80)

One suggestion though- even though I believe a 1 gallon is great for them (I personally have a couple in 1 gallons, one of them is more energetic and happy in it then anything larger), you could always look into the PetCo kritter keepers- the medium and large sizes are 1.75 and 2.75 gallons and both cost $10 or less, which can hold a heater great, and if your 1 gallon has a filter, you can use it in there too, if not.. no filter needed. A desk lamp, or a small lamp with 40 watts or under for the light works perfect with them. It's just an idea- kritter keepers make great little tanks for cheap. Otherwise, your 1 gal is just fine as long as you do the appropriate water changes :)

Want pics once you get it set up!
i have a small kritter keeper, it was less than 1 gal. and a temporary home til i could afford a tank that was larger. but i'll definitely try a larger kritter keeper since i am on a budget. thank you! :)
Old 12-10-2011, 12:01 PM   #6 
Myates

Welcome :)

Again, not needed, a 1 gal is a suitable home for them.. was just an ideal in case you find problems heating the 1 gal in the future :)
Old 12-10-2011, 12:45 PM   #7 
iLikeBetta808

so went looking online again and here's what i have:

-Hikari Betta Revive Health Aid

For the tank, i'm still debating with one of these:
-Petco 2.5 gal Aquarium
-Large Pet Keeper for Fish (doesn't say gallon)
-Petco 1 gal Corner Aquarium

i found a heater that's 50 watts, preset to 78 degrees and works with 2-10 gal., but i'm kinda iffy because of the mixed reviews it got. but the reviews said it works great with anything 5gal. and under.

i looked up epsom salt in the pharmacy section of kmart and walmart, like Myates said, but what brand is recommended? and does it matter if the epsom salt has scents like lavender, chamomile, etc?
Old 12-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #8 
iLikeBetta808

i forgot to mention!
i'm going on a trip for 4 days in 2 weeks.
i was thinking about giving it to my aunty, who lives close, and letting her feed my betta.
if that doesn't work, is there a vacation food block for bettas?
Old 12-10-2011, 01:24 PM   #9 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLikeBetta808 View Post
so went looking online again and here's what i have:

-Hikari Betta Revive Health Aid

For the tank, i'm still debating with one of these:
-Petco 2.5 gal Aquarium
-Large Pet Keeper for Fish (doesn't say gallon)
-Petco 1 gal Corner Aquarium

i found a heater that's 50 watts, preset to 78 degrees and works with 2-10 gal., but i'm kinda iffy because of the mixed reviews it got. but the reviews said it works great with anything 5gal. and under.

i looked up epsom salt in the pharmacy section of kmart and walmart, like Myates said, but what brand is recommended? and does it matter if the epsom salt has scents like lavender, chamomile, etc?
Presets can be iffy.. sometimes they don't heat enough, sometimes too much. I'd look for a 25 watt adjustable one- much more worth it then a preset. But it's worth a shot- if it works great, then awesome.. if not, then return it :) Just keep an eye on the thermometer to know if it's working fine.

You will want just plain Epsom Salt, no dyes or perfumes- doesn't matter on the brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLikeBetta808 View Post
i forgot to mention!
i'm going on a trip for 4 days in 2 weeks.
i was thinking about giving it to my aunty, who lives close, and letting her feed my betta.
if that doesn't work, is there a vacation food block for bettas?
No food blocks- the betta will eat it all too quickly, not to mention it fouls up the water too great to be left in there while away.

Being gone for 4 days isn't a big deal with them- change the water the day before you leave and don't feed him that day either. When you return do a water change and can start feeding regularly. A healthy betta can go over 2 weeks without food- so 4/5 days isn't going to harm him in the slightest. You can have your aunt feed him if you wish, but if she can't then I wouldn't worry about it. It would be safer and healthier for him not to eat then if he was over fed by a relative (unless you give specific instructions) or if you used a food block. Too many member's here have lost their bettas due to those blocks.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:01 PM   #10 
iLikeBetta808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Presets can be iffy.. sometimes they don't heat enough, sometimes too much. I'd look for a 25 watt adjustable one- much more worth it then a preset. But it's worth a shot- if it works great, then awesome.. if not, then return it :) Just keep an eye on the thermometer to know if it's working fine.

You will want just plain Epsom Salt, no dyes or perfumes- doesn't matter on the brand.

No food blocks- the betta will eat it all too quickly, not to mention it fouls up the water too great to be left in there while away.

Being gone for 4 days isn't a big deal with them- change the water the day before you leave and don't feed him that day either. When you return do a water change and can start feeding regularly. A healthy betta can go over 2 weeks without food- so 4/5 days isn't going to harm him in the slightest. You can have your aunt feed him if you wish, but if she can't then I wouldn't worry about it. It would be safer and healthier for him not to eat then if he was over fed by a relative (unless you give specific instructions) or if you used a food block. Too many member's here have lost their bettas due to those blocks.
thank you again! :)

Tags
betta care, supplies