Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-10-2011, 05:34 PM   #1 
Lost in a Jungle

Tankmate compatibility?

I know there are a billion threads like this, and I apologize for starting a new one.

My betta has been living alone in an unfiltered ten gallon tank. This tank has a fairly good sized crack near the top, so the water level has been fairly low; almost too low for his tank heater.

Anyway, I got a great deal off of craigslist on another 10 gallon with a filter, heater, lights... everything. I was going to move the Betta over, ditch the cracked tank, and get some ghost shrimp or something nice and quiet for him to hang out with.

Only, when I got the tank, it had seven fish in it already: a pleco, two black phantom tetras, two neon tetras, and two red wag platys.
I have another freshwater tank, but I don't want to overstock it and it won't hold all these fish. We swapped out our snail for the pleco immediately since I thought the snail would be better suited with the Betta, but tried to put the Betta in with the other six since I've been reading on here and thought they might be compatible.

It was no go with the black phantoms... they wouldn't leave him alone. We took them out and put them in the other tank (Don't know what else to do with them at the moment, anyone in the DFW area want them?) He seems to be ok with the other four, but he's flaring off and on at the two platys. They don't really seem to concerned with each other, there isn't any biting or fighting, except with the random flares.

They've only been together 30 minutes, tops... Is that normal behavior and will he settle down? Or should I be concerned and put him back in the cracked tank for now?
Lost in a Jungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #2 
EvilVOG

Pet stores tend to say one fish per gallon, but a better approach is the conservative route of one gallon per inch of fish.

Bettas are naturally territorial, so they need extra room. He may settle down, as being in a new environment, he has to claim new territory. But he may never settle down and accept his tankmates.

I would keep the cracked tank, you never know when you'll need a quarantine tank, and you could also attempt to seal the cracks with some aquarium-safe silicone.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:41 PM   #3 
Lost in a Jungle

How much time should I give him to claim new territory before I figure it's just not working out?
Old 12-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #4 
diablo13

I would say a week, unless the other fish get stressed. Foe example, I keep my betta with only 1 platy, but she isn't stressed at all, so it's fine. But if you see them steessed, like gasping, not moving much, listless, remove him. Sorry, but what's the DFW area? If it's anywhere near DC, I'll take them off your hands.
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:11 PM   #5 
EvilVOG

i'd watch him periodically tonight, and if he's not attacking the other fish, sleep on it and then carefully check them for damage in the morning.

If he hasn't attacked them by now, you're probably ok, but sometimes the darkness of night changes everything. maybe put them to bed early, cover 3 sides of the tank with a blanket or something to make it mostly dark, and then check them after an hour.

DFW= Dalls/ Ft. Worth, Texas
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #6 
Lost in a Jungle

Thanks for the advice! I'll keep an eye on them, and hang on to the first tank, just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo13 View Post
Sorry, but what's the DFW area? If it's anywhere near DC, I'll take them off your hands.
Dallas/ Fort Worth, Texas.
Kind of a drive from DC.