Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #11 
thejapanesezombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
lol only tanks I have larger then 2 gallons are not for bettas :P My bettas don't have mansions like a 5 gallon, just condos lol. And it is always better off safe then sorry- no question is too silly for us. I think we all have either heard it before, or done it ourselves at one time or another (ssh! hehe)
Hehe Condos are nice too! <3 My betta did have it cushy in his old tank too. I'm just bad and like to spoil him rotten (and like the look of big tanks @ . @) He'll get it all to himself too. I'm not planning on giving him any tank mates what so ever. Not even tetras.

My first betta, mr. fishy, had it really rough back in high school, it's actually why I spoil my bettas now. My mother me and my sister one each. We knew nothing about them, kept them in small 1 gallon tanks, didn't have heaters, they got sick, very lethargic. Mr. Fishy ended up with fin rot and a very aggressive fungus problem. He ended up losing all of his dorsal fin (you can imagine my horror) he did end up living for an entire year after that without his fin before he finally passed.

My sister's just laid at the bottom, and she stopped feeding him completely, in which for a long while I was feeding him behind my sister's back and eventually adopted him as my own.

Ever since then, that absolutely HORRIBLE experience I've kept my fish in 2 gallon tanks, with heaters (I did a lot of research on them since mr. Fishy and my sister's little guy) I now give them the best life possible because I feel like I owe it to him, mr. Fishy in particular, to not repeat my mistakes and to not be an irresponsible owner.

Learning experiences suck, but they're important. :( It opened my eyes big time. Sorry I went on a HUGE ramble but looking at Aldo, he seems to be so much happier, he's really zippy now that he has the space :) that makes me happy.
thejapanesezombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:28 PM   #12 
Myates

Awww.. we all learn the hard way at one time or another in life. I knew everything about tropical fish, kept many tanks successfully.. but the first betta I had many years ago, I fell for the myths.

If I didn't have too many bettas (and a dog and people..) to spoil, mine would probably be in larger tanks too- but they are all in warm, clean water, fed regularly, attention given throughout the day.. I spoil now mostly by learning as much as I can about them- and a few shopping sprees via PetCo online every now and again ;) I'm planning on upgrading once we decide whether to stay in this state and get a house here, or move back to my boyfriend's home state and get one there. So for now.. they are happy, means I'm happy.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:33 PM   #13 
thejapanesezombie

Quote:
Awww.. we all learn the hard way at one time or another in life. I knew everything about tropical fish, kept many tanks successfully.. but the first betta I had many years ago, I fell for the myths.

If I didn't have too many bettas (and a dog and people..) to spoil, mine would probably be in larger tanks too- but they are all in warm, clean water, fed regularly, attention given throughout the day.. I spoil now mostly by learning as much as I can about them- and a few shopping sprees via PetCo online every now and again ;) I'm planning on upgrading once we decide whether to stay in this state and get a house here, or move back to my boyfriend's home state and get one there. So for now.. they are happy, means I'm happy.
Pet stores just don't educate their employees about bettas. I find the same with goldfish too. Someone tried to sell me a black moor saying I could keep it in an unfiltered one gallon bowl. I laughed. Fancy goldfish need 10 gallon, filtered and air bubble supplied. Sadly, this is how people start in the hobby, and a lot of fish are mistreated. :( And in the end people say, "it's just a 6 dollar fish" .... no. It's a living animal thank you very much. They deserve as much rights as a cat, dog, bird or mouse.

hehe I bet your fish are all very happy :) <3 And I do wish you luck on the move if you do go :) Getting a new house is always very exciting.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #14 
Myates

I have to agree- it may be a fish that swims in a bowl, but it deserves a comfortable, safe and healthy life just like any other animal- including humans. Yes, when it comes down to it, you will want to feed your child before you feed the fish.. but you know what I mean :P

I met a guy not long ago at a LFS that was wondering why his goldfish kept dying.. the employee just shrugged his shoulders- 3 goldfish in a 3 gallon with a pleco. Le sigh...

Thanks! And I know your guy is very happy as well!
Old 12-11-2011, 06:47 PM   #15 
thejapanesezombie

Quote:
I have to agree- it may be a fish that swims in a bowl, but it deserves a comfortable, safe and healthy life just like any other animal- including humans. Yes, when it comes down to it, you will want to feed your child before you feed the fish.. but you know what I mean :P

I met a guy not long ago at a LFS that was wondering why his goldfish kept dying.. the employee just shrugged his shoulders- 3 goldfish in a 3 gallon with a pleco. Le sigh...

Thanks! And I know your guy is very happy as well!
Whooooaaaa overpopulated much?! I cant imagine the bioload that went into that tank :S Most people dont realize goldfish grow up to 8-12 inches. Commons grow bigger than fancy goldfish and honestly require a pond :S 1 goldfish needs like... a 10 gallon tank, 2 needs 20 ... so on. I dont know how this whole goldfish in a bowl thing got started, but it's ridiculous D: Again, goes to show that this is a world wide problem and not isolated in Canada :S

Yeah I can understand the child thing, XD but if a person going to buy a fish, they need to be prepared to take care of it because like any pet it's well-being depends on you.

Oh well, the best you can do is help spread the good word. I did that yesterday at the LFS when getting plants. I basically told a mother considering to get one of those (really pathetic and unhealthy looking) betta fish that they need a heater and a 2 gallon tank, so I think I helped one of those little guys yesterday because I saw her buy a heater and a bigger tank! (Yesss!)
Old 12-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #16 
Myates

Woohoo! Hopefully another happy little guy went home!

I doubt that guy listened to me though.. he only changed the water once a month. But I didn't push or anything, just stated the requirements to keep goldfish and a pleco- what he does with it, I don't know.. but I doubt much had changed.