Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-10-2011, 12:24 AM   #31 
LionCalie

I love the Panda Cories. I will definitely be having a small group of them when the time is right.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:51 AM   #32 
Rosso1011

Hedgehog, love the info on the cories. Definitely a good thing to know if you're thinking about keeping a more eclectic school of corydoras.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:34 AM   #33 
Misakitty

The spotted is definitely more rambunctious than my albinos ever were, and after I added him the playing doubled in my tank. He does something funny that alarmed me the first time I saw it; he goes up to the albino and wiggles his whiskers across the other's body (it looked like he was eating Paul's fins). I initially was horrified thinking I'd managed to find the only killer spotted cory, but then the albino didn't seem the least bit alarmed. Turns out it's some display of affection which is just adorable. Mixing species definitely changed the behavior in my tank.
Misakitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #34 
vaygirl

I love my corys! I have 4 bronze corys and I think I've had them about 2 years and some months now. They spawned once when I changed their water and used warmer water. They laid about a hundred eggs. They ate almost all of the eggs over a 24 hour period. I managed to save maybe 10? I even saw one hatch. But because my tank is a deep 16 gallon, none survived. I doubt they could get to the top for air like they needed to. I have either two girls and two boys or one girl and three boys. There's one I'm just not sure about. She's bigger then the smallest guys but nowhere near as big as the one I call Big Momma! :P

They're super hardy. I've lost many fish in that 16 to mysterious illnesses and yet those corys are never affected. They just keep on swimming.

Here's a video of my babies and other fish in my 16!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxuabU5PtPQ
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #35 
Rosso1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
I love my corys! I have 4 bronze corys and I think I've had them about 2 years and some months now. They spawned once when I changed their water and used warmer water. They laid about a hundred eggs. They ate almost all of the eggs over a 24 hour period. I managed to save maybe 10? I even saw one hatch. But because my tank is a deep 16 gallon, none survived. I doubt they could get to the top for air like they needed to. I have either two girls and two boys or one girl and three boys. There's one I'm just not sure about. She's bigger then the smallest guys but nowhere near as big as the one I call Big Momma! :P

They're super hardy. I've lost many fish in that 16 to mysterious illnesses and yet those corys are never affected. They just keep on swimming.

Here's a video of my babies and other fish in my 16!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxuabU5PtPQ
Let me start by saying what a beautiful aquarium. Yikes @ the spawn happening. That can definitely be a bad thing if you aren't expecting it. I've never tried to breed corydoras, but it looks like it would be a very delicate process, so with the parents in, the eggs never stood a chance. I was having a hard time following the cories, but I definitely know that one of them was a female. She was big. It's easier to gender them when they're napping together.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:52 PM   #36 
vaygirl

That's Biiiig Momma. She's the one who I'm reasonably sure spawned. I see the others chasing her around which leads me to believe she's the only girl.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #37 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I'm getting a betta and a mystery snail for Christmas! I love the look of cories and by the sounds of things that have a cute personality. How many would I be able to fit in with the snail and betta?
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:16 PM   #38 
Rosso1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
I'm getting a betta and a mystery snail for Christmas! I love the look of cories and by the sounds of things that have a cute personality. How many would I be able to fit in with the snail and betta?
First off, let me say that in order to be able to do that you would need a tank over 5 gallons. If you get the right species, you're looking at roughly an 1 inch of fish, some of them get bigger, so research the species first. Anything that falls in the pygmy category is usually smaller. I would honestly say that I would be most comfortable with hearing you have anything bigger than 7.5 gallons to house the betta and cories, which should be kept in at least a group of 4.

Pet shops should sell inexpensive 10 gal. kits. It would give everyone the space they need and you could house 2 more cories, which would be awesome since they prefer groups of 6.

Please forgive me if my grammar is off tonight. I'm apparently having an issue with it today.

Do you have any other questions about corydoras? If so, we'd be happy to help out.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:41 PM   #39 
hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso1011 View Post
Pet shops should sell inexpensive 10 gal. kits. It would give everyone the space they need and you could house 2 more cories, which would be awesome since they prefer groups of 6.
I wouldn't keep cories in any thing under ten gallons. You can keep six cories in a ten gallon if it's a smaller species such as pygmy cories. If you are getting albino cories, bronze cories, or green cories it would be best to only put 4 in the 10 gallon. Also, cories shouldn't be added to tanks before they are cycled. They also prefer sand as a substrate. Gravel can damage their barbels which may increase their likelihood of infection.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:58 PM   #40 
Rosso1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
I wouldn't keep cories in any thing under ten gallons. You can keep six cories in a ten gallon if it's a smaller species such as pygmy cories. If you are getting albino cories, bronze cories, or green cories it would be best to only put 4 in the 10 gallon. Also, cories shouldn't be added to tanks before they are cycled. They also prefer sand as a substrate. Gravel can damage their barbels which may increase their likelihood of infection.
You're right, my math is off tonight. I'm not exactly having my best day today and I'm more used to schooling them with tetras, which are much smaller, lol.

About the cycling part, I hope you're talking to hedgehog and not me because I think I know about cycling a 10 gallon tank by now.

Last edited by Rosso1011; 12-11-2011 at 09:01 PM.