Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #1 
Myates

Hey Guys..

Yup, tis me.. you either like me or don't lol. Sometimes I can come off as snooty, but I'm really not. I just don't have a lot of good people skills :) Comes from working at the state mental hospital for too long. You learn to be blunt and straight forward with the patients and I can carry that outside of the hospital.
Oh the stories I wish I could share.. but alas..

I'm 33, I have two daughters, McKayla who is going to be 12 soon and Allison who is 7 and has autism, and I learn so much from her on a daily basis. They share my love for animals.. Allison is different though.. she is a fish and reptiles girl and if she could cuddle up with an alligator at night in bed, she would.. but for now she's happy with her 4 ft stuffed one. I was a surrogate mother to a little girl who is now 5, Grace, and is such a ham! I also live with my boyfriend who is wonderful and caring, and goes above and beyond for my girls. He has been in the medical field since he was 15 when he got into a Yale University program. We have a wonderful black lab/border collie mix girl named Eden that is too smart and loves her food oh so much lol.

I currently am "retired" but am thinking of trying to get a job at a local fish/reptile store to have something to do. Unsure if I can any time soon, as I have too many medical conditions going on now that I am hoping will soon be under control enough for me to be able to hold down even a part time job. But my doctors are all great, so holding onto hope :)

I spend my time doing things around the house, shopping, on the forums or playing different computer/online games.

Anyways.. I tend to ramble on sometimes.. lol sorry!

I received my first ever tank when I was 12 for Christmas (we had tanks in the house, but none were "just mine"). It was a clear globe with frosted continents on it.. at the time I knew so little of fish that I put a couple platies and guppies in it. By the time I was 16 I had evolved to multiple tanks in my room ranging from 10 to 30 gallons. I kept all forms of tropical fish and cichlids.. angels being my favorite.

Over the years I have bred different types of fish, mostly live bearers and some angels which I sold to local fish stores in trade for supplies and fish/food. I continued with cichlids for the most part, oscars and angels.. I had goldfish for a bit, and once in a while I had bettas.. usually single, once I did a divided tank.

I started fish keeping when the internet wasn't like it is now- in fact, don't believe we had a computer in the home just yet so I was going to the library often to do as much research as possible in keeping fish. I had notebooks full of information that I needed, and lists of fish I wanted to have one day.

I got into bettas not long ago pretty hard, for some reason I just wanted one and then shortly after I got him.. well.. like most of you guys, one just wasn't enough. I've done as much reading, researching as one possibly can do for these little ones and yet continuously learning from other keepers.

Once again, if I sound rude or blunt, don't take it personally.. I am here to help and will help anyone who needs it and asks :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #2 
vaygirl

Hi Myates! :D Nice to 'meet' you.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:28 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Nice to meet you Myates......we sound a lot alike in many ways...maybe that is why we tend to provide a lot of the same info and theory on things....laffs.....

I too worked in the medical field and had to retire early due to chronic medical condition and nearly had to quit the hobby until I found a different method that my body would let me continue....laffs......

I really like this new section and getting to know more about our members....make us more human/real....lol.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello, Myates. Nice meeting you!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:30 AM   #5 
Myates

Aww three of my favorite forumettes :D

OFL; I have learned nearly everything I know about bettas from you :)
Most of the time I feel as if I'm stepping on your toes, and I try not to sound too much like you lol. But no one can replace an original, or come close to it. I do agree, we both think alike when it comes to treatment, I guess that is why I follow your lead when it comes to things, as I prefer natural anything- but natural and conservative treatments are what I tend to recommend the most. And it's thanks to you that I am able to help others (sometimes I help too much!).

I just noticed the new sections.. yay!
Old 12-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Your not stepping on my toes.....its always nice to hear of others seeing the benefits of more natural methods......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:05 AM   #7 
Sakura8

Myates! You are my super forum buddy. :) Together we're a pretty good tag team, aren't we? And you never fail to lighten things up and make us laugh when we need it. *hugs*
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #8 
Myates

Aww thanks! *hugs*

You're always there to give me a boost, and to try to keep me from getting into too much trouble.. couldn't ask for a better forum buddy! Thank you!