Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #1 
mardi

SBD Fish @ the pet store

I had a dangerously long lunch this afternoon and somehow managed to find my way to the local pet store near my work.

While there I saw a poor little VT with obvious signs Swim Bladder disease, it broke my heart.

I haven't decided if I'm going to go back and get him; but if I do, if he's still there. Does anyone have anything to add to help him through this besides the epsom salt and fasting I saw on the sticky? Has anyone brought home a fish with SBD before? did they survive?

Answers to the last question won't influence my decision, just kind of want to be prepared for what I'm in for.

Thanks everyone!
mardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #2 
Silverfang

I had a boy who had swimming issues, not SBD per se, but epsom salt, warm water, and a good diet got him healthy.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #3 
Pitluvs

Hughie was my worst SBD case, he coudlnt leave the top of the tank and was upside down, he's a happy healthy boy now. I'll share pictures when I get back from the store. Basically, I did 1tsp epsoms... warm water... and fasting/live food. I also took his water out with an air hose, and added it back the same way to reduce his stress. He did amazing. I also have Monkey who was another SBD case, he couldn't swim.... and well... watch this video :)

Monkey
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #4 
mardi

Thank you! I couldn't watch the video ( not approved to be viewed in my country). I'm kind of concerned about keeping him warm i don't trust those small bowl heaters. I plan on getting the smalles critter keeper and adding epsoms and wrapping him in a towel. Off to see if he's stilk l there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
Hughie was my worst SBD case, he coudlnt leave the top of the tank and was upside down, he's a happy healthy boy now. I'll share pictures when I get back from the store. Basically, I did 1tsp epsoms... warm water... and fasting/live food. I also took his water out with an air hose, and added it back the same way to reduce his stress. He did amazing. I also have Monkey who was another SBD case, he couldn't swim.... and well... watch this video :)

Monkey
Old 12-12-2011, 07:46 PM   #5 
mardi

Thanks for the reply! I'll keep all of those things in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
I had a boy who had swimming issues, not SBD per se, but epsom salt, warm water, and a good diet got him healthy.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:48 PM   #6 
mardi

Well, he was still there and is now in my laundry room. (the warmest, most still part of my apartment, lol). I'm about to mix up some epsom and stress coat for him in his little tank, and another small batch to slowly put into the cup he came in so he's not stressed.

I should do daily water changes until the bloating disappears, yes?
Here's hoping he'll make it through the night.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #7 
mardi

Well, I've been adding the epsom/stress coat mixture to his cup and he has already perked up tremendously. He even seemed to be swimming normally, last time I checked. I'm still going to keep him in epsom overnight. His fins are terribly ragged. He was on the top shelf at the store, and I was so concerned about stressing him out that I kept him covered in a sweater from the moment I got him, so I didn't really get to take a good look at his fins before now.

Little trooper made it through a 30 minute drive and a hike up two flights of stairs; he'll be ready to go into his new little hospital tank in a few minutes. Then, I'm wrapping the tank in a towel and not checking on him again until morning.

Last edited by mardi; 12-12-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:25 PM   #8 
Pitluvs

That's funny, others from USA were able to view the link before. Oh I dislike Youtube!

Anyways, Monkey was a "scooter", he couldn't swim but sat on the bottom of the tank for a day or two. With him, I gave him clean warm water and frozen food and he did end up passing a lot of poop, and now he's doing great! With Hughie, that was harder. Like I said, he was upside down at the top of the tank, unable to swim and floating. I passed many days watching him struggle to breathe. Poor guy, he would wedge himself between the thermometer and the tank so he didn't have to struggle. But after 10 days in Epsom salts, a breather and another 7 days in Epsom salts, he finally was able to swim and regain his color. That was in July :) With Hughie I did daily water changes, only because he was living in 0.4g of water (0.8g filled halfway). I use the airline to take water out and put water in so I didn't have to take him out of the tank. Hope your little guy pulls through!! Please keep us updated!
Old 12-12-2011, 09:46 PM   #9 
mardi

Yeah, he's in a very small critter keeper right now.

I dislike youtube as well. I honestly only made an account so I could post a video of my Bowie, lol. I'm so glad you have two boys that pulled through. This one was swimming on his side and quite bloated. Only time will tell, there's no telling how long he was in this condition before I saw him this afternoon. I'm trying not to get my hopes up until morning, I know sometimes fish sometimes seem to get better just before they pass when they're sick.

I will keep everyone posted. And thank you SO very much for your encouragement and words of wisdom on this situation. It's kind of nerve wrecking, having this little ones life in my hands; it means a lot to feel like i'm not going through this alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
That's funny, others from USA were able to view the link before. Oh I dislike Youtube!

Anyways, Monkey was a "scooter", he couldn't swim but sat on the bottom of the tank for a day or two. With him, I gave him clean warm water and frozen food and he did end up passing a lot of poop, and now he's doing great! With Hughie, that was harder. Like I said, he was upside down at the top of the tank, unable to swim and floating. I passed many days watching him struggle to breathe. Poor guy, he would wedge himself between the thermometer and the tank so he didn't have to struggle. But after 10 days in Epsom salts, a breather and another 7 days in Epsom salts, he finally was able to swim and regain his color. That was in July :) With Hughie I did daily water changes, only because he was living in 0.4g of water (0.8g filled halfway). I use the airline to take water out and put water in so I didn't have to take him out of the tank. Hope your little guy pulls through!! Please keep us updated!
Old 12-12-2011, 11:23 PM   #10 
Pitluvs

Ya know, I have treated 4 with ammonia poisoning, 4 with SBD and to this day my hands shake when I bring a sick baby home. We're all nervous when it comes to helping them survive. There's a little red/silver/black CT male at my pet store right now that can't swim at all, he's scooting along the bottom of the tank and care barely get to the top for air. I'd give him 24-48h in that place. I want to take him home so bad, but they want $20 :(