Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-12-2011, 10:29 PM   #1 
iLikeBetta808

Stress coat.

i'm planning to buy API Stress coat because i can see a little bit of fin rot on my betta. since it's also a water conditioner, can i use it with a different water conditioner that i have already? or is it best to use API only until there's no sign of fin rot?
iLikeBetta808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:37 PM   #2 
EvilVOG

well since stress coat is a conditioner, i would use that exclusively. And if you're positive it's fin rot, i would pre-dissolve 1tsp per gallon of Aq. salt to go with it as the salt is to stop the infection, and the stress coat is for regrowth. 100% daily water changes with fresh water and salt for no more than 10 days. Stop the salt (or don't use it) if the rot isn't progressing or stops progressing. If that's the case still do 100% changes but to just conditioned water.

do you have some pictures so we can verify it's fin rot? (unless you posted about it before and i forgot) And unless you have experience with it or something to know.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:10 AM   #3 
iLikeBetta808

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilVOG View Post
well since stress coat is a conditioner, i would use that exclusively. And if you're positive it's fin rot, i would pre-dissolve 1tsp per gallon of Aq. salt to go with it as the salt is to stop the infection, and the stress coat is for regrowth. 100% daily water changes with fresh water and salt for no more than 10 days. Stop the salt (or don't use it) if the rot isn't progressing or stops progressing. If that's the case still do 100% changes but to just conditioned water.

do you have some pictures so we can verify it's fin rot? (unless you posted about it before and i forgot) And unless you have experience with it or something to know.
i have some pictures of it on my other thread "i'm getting a betta for christmas" it shows a little bit of black at the tips, and don't mind the thermometer at 90deg. the thermometer is junk.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:26 AM   #4 
EvilVOG

Ok yeah i see the black edge on his tail there. I would just watch it for now since he's new. If it progresses, then go to the salt, but it could just be ammonia burns from the store cup.

He looks really healthy so no reason to mess with him just yet. Congrats on your new friend!
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:39 AM   #5 
iLikeBetta808

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilVOG View Post
Ok yeah i see the black edge on his tail there. I would just watch it for now since he's new. If it progresses, then go to the salt, but it could just be ammonia burns from the store cup.

He looks really healthy so no reason to mess with him just yet. Congrats on your new friend!
oki doki. thank you! :)
Old 12-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #6 
Myates

I actually use Stress Coat along with my regular water conditioner- something I have done for the last 17 years with no ill effects. I add in a few drops each water change to help soothe them. I would say it is perfectly safe to use alongside of your regular water conditioner, or as the conditioner itself.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #7 
Mart2289

I always use a little bit of stress cover when I change the water because my fish is so easily stressed but i'm also looking for something to enhance his color...
Mart2289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:03 PM   #8 
iLikeBetta808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart2289 View Post
I always use a little bit of stress cover when I change the water because my fish is so easily stressed but i'm also looking for something to enhance his color...
to enhance his color, make sure the water is at the correct temp. then maybe he'll be less stressed.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:16 AM   #9 
Myates

You will look more at the nutrition to enhance coloration, there isn't a water conditioner that would actually do that..

Foods high in protein, such as live or frozen foods.. processed foods that have fish/meat meal as their first ingredient tend to have higher protein.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:03 PM   #10 
Tikibirds

For a while, i used betta bowl plus and stress coat together.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stress coat, water condition