Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #1 
mardi

SBD Fish I brought home yesterday [WARNING GRAPHIC PICS]

WARNING! This post contains photos which some of you might find disturbing.

I'm not posting this to upset anyone, or look for sympathy. I just want to know if there is anything more I can do for this poor little guy or if there's anything anyone can see that I'm missing.

Yesterday he was bloated and floating on his side. After almost 24 hours of being in an epsom salt and stress coat bath, he's perked up. But, I'm concerned there might be something else wrong with him. I don't really see any evidence of parasites on him. These pictures were taken just recently. He's no longer terribly bloated and he still hasn't pooped. I haven't fed him either, since I was so concerned what that would do with him being bloated.

He's very curious whenever I'm near him, watching me with a sad look in his eyes. I just don't know what to do. He's not lethargic at all.

Ok, here it goes... [and I know these are terrible quality pictures]
Attached Images

mardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:29 PM   #2 
Myates

Aww.. I love the classic reds, was nice you were able to bring him home and help him.

I would go ahead and leave him in one more day in the Epsom.

One thing that I noticed when zoomed in, it looks like he has a case of fin rot? The long part of his tail and his anal fin? Are the edges blackened?

If so, you may be able to get away with just daily water changes for a bit to clear it up- if not you may want to do the AQ salt treatment.

(After a couple of days of no salt to help clear his system)- 1 tsp of AQ salt, pre-dissolved, per gallon, daily 100% water changes, no longer then 10 days.

Sometimes with new bettas who have fin rot, clean water will clear it up without the need for salt. You can try for a week or so to see if it helps, just doing partial water changes every other day first to see if that is all that is needed.
That is.. if he has fin rot- it's a little hard to tell in the pictures.

Otherwise I think he looks great.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #3 
mardi

Thank you, I couldn't leave him at the store. I figured even if he died overnight, I would at least have given him a few moments of rest in his final hours. Now, it's 24 hours later and he's still here.

Yes, that area on his anal fin is indeed black.

I plan to do a water change soon. Should I just continue to use the 1 tsp epsom and stress coat i've been using?

I was concerned that he had fin rot and wasn't sure if I was doing the right treatment. I plan on doing daily water changes, and will see how that helps, I have AQ salt on hand just in case. I should wait until I'm done with epsom salt treatments before using AQ salt, right? that just seems like a lot of salt to be, to be using both.

I know it's a little premature, but I'm just not sure how long to do the epsom/ continue to fast him. He perked up immediately once I started acclimating him to the epsom and looks so much better today. I'm just concerned that he hasn't passed anything yet, though it's only been about 24 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Aww.. I love the classic reds, was nice you were able to bring him home and help him.

I would go ahead and leave him in one more day in the Epsom.

One thing that I noticed when zoomed in, it looks like he has a case of fin rot? The long part of his tail and his anal fin? Are the edges blackened?

If so, you may be able to get away with just daily water changes for a bit to clear it up- if not you may want to do the AQ salt treatment.

(After a couple of days of no salt to help clear his system)- 1 tsp of AQ salt, pre-dissolved, per gallon, daily 100% water changes, no longer then 10 days.

Sometimes with new bettas who have fin rot, clean water will clear it up without the need for salt. You can try for a week or so to see if it helps, just doing partial water changes every other day first to see if that is all that is needed.
That is.. if he has fin rot- it's a little hard to tell in the pictures.

Otherwise I think he looks great.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:57 PM   #4 
Myates

Go ahead and do one more day with him in Epsom, if his stomach isn't bloated out, you can start feeding him small meals at first - 2-3 pellets a day and work your way up to 4-6 pellets a day (spread between 2+ meals). He'll most likely go to the bathroom soon, within the next day.
Another day in Epsom won't hurt him, it's gentle enough for them to be in there indefinitely.

Correct, don't mix AQ and Epsom together- give him the day with Epsom, then just clean water for a few days and if you feel it is needed, then start the AQ salt.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:59 PM   #5 
Pitluvs

I think another day in Epsoms will be good, then do a few days with no salt and then start the AQ salts. Meanwhile, keep up with the water changes and watch for the finrot to get better. If it does without the AQ salts, then don't use them. If there is no improvement, look into using the AQ salts. I'm pretty sure that's what Myates said anyways hehe

I picked up two boys tonight, kept thinking of your guy and I couldn't leave them behind. One is like your guy, on his side and floating. The other is swimming upright but still stuck to the top of the tank. *sigh* Glad to see your guy is doing well! Only Betta I want and haven't had yet is a real red VT, I am jealous.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:21 PM   #6 
mardi

Thank you so much!

I'll follow your advice. I'm not too concerned with feeding him.I have new life spectrum Betta Pellets that I'll be introducing him to, they should be pretty easy on him.

I figure I'll switch him back to plain old water with stress coat with tomorrows water change. I'll keep an eye on his fins over the next few days.

I've been calling him Remedio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Go ahead and do one more day with him in Epsom, if his stomach isn't bloated out, you can start feeding him small meals at first - 2-3 pellets a day and work your way up to 4-6 pellets a day (spread between 2+ meals). He'll most likely go to the bathroom soon, within the next day.
Another day in Epsom won't hurt him, it's gentle enough for them to be in there indefinitely.

Correct, don't mix AQ and Epsom together- give him the day with Epsom, then just clean water for a few days and if you feel it is needed, then start the AQ salt.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #7 
mardi

Ahhhhh!!!!

I'm so very excited for you! Did you get the CT? I know they're in extremely good hands with you, but still, sending good vibes your way that they'll be 100% soon.

Thanks again for the advice and support through all of this. You've really made me feel like I've done the right thing, and helped me to feel more confident in my ability to help him. I've had both my Dad and brother criticize me for doing this. (That is, until I reminded my Dad that he's the one who got me my first Betta, lol).

I'm going to keep a close eye on him over the next few days and monitor how his fins heal. I'm really stunned by him; after all he's been through, and still swimming around his little hospital tank. I've decided to name him Remedio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
I think another day in Epsoms will be good, then do a few days with no salt and then start the AQ salts. Meanwhile, keep up with the water changes and watch for the finrot to get better. If it does without the AQ salts, then don't use them. If there is no improvement, look into using the AQ salts. I'm pretty sure that's what Myates said anyways hehe

I picked up two boys tonight, kept thinking of your guy and I couldn't leave them behind. One is like your guy, on his side and floating. The other is swimming upright but still stuck to the top of the tank. *sigh* Glad to see your guy is doing well! Only Betta I want and haven't had yet is a real red VT, I am jealous.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:50 PM   #8 
Sakura8

What a handsome rich red. I wouldn't worry about the pics, Mardi, I didn't see anything graphic at all. He looks like he's doing so much better and you're in good hands with Myates and Pitluvs. Good luck with Remedio. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:51 PM   #9 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mardi View Post
Ahhhhh!!!!

I'm so very excited for you! Did you get the CT? I know they're in extremely good hands with you, but still, sending good vibes your way that they'll be 100% soon.

Thanks again for the advice and support through all of this. You've really made me feel like I've done the right thing, and helped me to feel more confident in my ability to help him. I've had both my Dad and brother criticize me for doing this. (That is, until I reminded my Dad that he's the one who got me my first Betta, lol).

I'm going to keep a close eye on him over the next few days and monitor how his fins heal. I'm really stunned by him; after all he's been through, and still swimming around his little hospital tank. I've decided to name him Remedio.
Sadly, no :( I didn't get the CT. I had $30 on me and I figured with my $20 Stress Coat, I had $10 left. I get a store discount for fish supplies and fish so two VT and the Stress Coat came to $29. I couldn't afford the CT. The two VTs I bought were in much dire need than the CT. I posted a topic...

When I was first treating my guys, Sakura gave me the boost I needed to have faith in myself. Hughie survived thanks to her, I did everything right but I wasn't confident in myself. She pushed me to think positive :) I think the emotional part of treating fish is the hardest. And yeah, my fiance and family doesn't see the point in Bettas let alone... 10 males and 6 females (oh dear lord, first time counting) but I know I'm making a difference with these two and that's all that matters :)
Old 12-13-2011, 09:53 PM   #10 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
What a handsome rich red. I wouldn't worry about the pics, Mardi, I didn't see anything graphic at all. He looks like he's doing so much better and you're in good hands with Myates and Pitluvs. Good luck with Remedio. :)

Oh phhftt, I'm just a cheerleader! Mardi, if you need help, go to Myates or Sakura haha I trust them more than me :)