Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-13-2011, 04:52 PM   #11 
copperarabian

Do you really have a leash on your cockateil?[she's a cockatoo] What if Rosie tries to fly away? How would you perch it on your hand/other place?
It's a harness for birds, when I have her on my hand I wrap it through my fingers so if she fly's she can't get far, a bird who isn't trained to free fly and in good shape can easily get scared and once in the sky they don't have the proper endurance to fly. Even in a small breeze a bird can loose control and become exhausted trying to get back to you before eventually being blown away(it's windier the higher you go too). Plus with a little wind any bird can get lift, even if they're wings are clipped.

The leash part doesn't really get in her way, it mostly just annoys her lol When I carry Rosie I have her facing me, this way when she gets scared and fly's she either gets on my shoulder, or clings to my shirt while flapping until my hand is under her and she steps back up. When she fly's away from me she goes towards the ground since her wings are clipped and I lower her slowly so she doesn't hurt her keen or any other muscles/bones. I'm currently letting her wings grow back in so she can fly outside for exercise, Galah cockatoo's can loose 20 years of they're life from becoming overweight and developing fatty tumors. The hard part will be motivating her to fly, then getting her in shape.

Well you've educated me a lot! My grandmother is a bird fiend! She has has a bird about 1 1/2 foot tall and also has trained her birds to dance, and say the normal things like hello, goodbye and I love you, ect.

In ignorance, I honestly thought that there weren't more than 1 kind of cockatoo. And I think i'll stick with the cockateil, if I ever do get one. When I was younger, I remeber being chased by one of my grandmother's horrible birds that were just knee high at times and I thought they were the birdy versions of godzilla and it could fly so that made it no easier to get away from.

That's so scary! Large birds can do some serious damage, especially to a kid. Was it a cockatoo? Umbrellas are pretty big, as well as sulfur crested. Click on this if you want to see what a bad bite looks like, a guy got bit on his lip by his umbrella cockatoo http://www.charlieandpeggy.com/cockatoobite1.jpg
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:14 PM   #12 
diablo13

I've heard about people have to get their eats stiched back on after a cockatoo bite. IMO, you should never let anything bigger than a cockatiel/well trained conure anywhere near you're face. I only have a pattotlet, and he tried to bite thu my eae yesterday. As it is, he made me bleed. Oh, and they definately have petsonalities. Mine is really grumpy. Probably because of some of the pinnies, foe some reason he gets all twitchy when I touch them. Poor baby :(
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #13 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo13 View Post
I've heard about people have to get their eats stiched back on after a cockatoo bite. IMO, you should never let anything bigger than a cockatiel/well trained conure anywhere near you're face. I only have a pattotlet, and he tried to bite thu my eae yesterday. As it is, he made me bleed. Oh, and they definately have petsonalities. Mine is really grumpy. Probably because of some of the pinnies, foe some reason he gets all twitchy when I touch them. Poor baby :(
I think it's alright for some birds, as long as they're well trained XD Amazons are usually not a good one since they're famous for attacking who ever they're on when they can't reach who they're really mad at(usually a person they adore too) and African grays shouldn't be allowed after they reach 10 years old. Macaws are generally ok as long as they're very well trained. Of course there's always the specific bird XD I would love to have Rosie on my shoulder but she gets off balance then grabs onto my ear really hard O.O And when not off balance she wants to bite my ear kinda hard lol
Old 12-13-2011, 07:22 PM   #14 
LittleBettaFish

Nice-looking galah. You always see them feeding next to the roads with the corellas and cockies at dusk here. It's always so funny seeing our native animals in a completely different country.

We had a couple of sulphur-crested cockatoos that we inherited off somebody. One of them was the meanest bird I think I've ever met. You had to cross over its perch to reach the water bowl, and it walk all the way down the perch until it was level with your crotch and give you the stink-eye.

I did accidentally punt it across the aviary once when it bit my ankle and I automatically kicked out. Suffice to say Joey did not try that particular trick again.

You don't realise just how big they are until you get up close to them. Our sulphur used to try and yank your hair through the holes in the wire. I swear that bird was the devil incarnate.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #15 
copperarabian

@littlebettasfish
wow, they do sound mean, are they wild caught? Also, I had a classmate from Melbourne australia and when I told her I had a Galah she looked super surprised and asked how it got to America LOL and when I happen to run into people from Australia when I have her they always ask me if she's a Galah and tell me all the things they do in the wild.

Do you know what part of Australia the dark morph is from? I've been trying so hard to find information on them >.>
Old 12-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #16 
LittleBettaFish

I'm not sure. They were both left at this school camp my mum's ex-boyfriend owned and the old manager left them and a whole heap of chickens in my custody.

Joey was very friendly even if he was a cheeky little bugger, but the other one used to just sit up at the top of the cage hissing at everyone so I think that one may have been wild at some point.

I'm not sure where the dark morph comes from. Could just be something that pops up randomly in populations and someone has bred for it.

We used to have a pair of cockatiels when I was younger. I would love to have a hand-reared breeding pair of pearl ones, but between a new puppy and my fish, I don't really have the time to dedicate to them.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #17 
Sakura8

Can't contribute much to the bird discussion, although I'm reading and learning avidly. But Copper, I never get tired of pics of Rosie. Never. :D
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:42 PM   #18 
copperarabian

I know it's a naturally occurring morph in the wild, but maybe it is just random since the dark morph aren't breeding with the dark morph. A breeder who used to have a pair wrote that the young kept the dark plumage.

Cockatiels are so cute, I prefer larger parrots because of they're intelligence and long life but those little birds are so cute. Mine loves me so much :)
Old 12-13-2011, 08:51 PM   #19 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah they all kind of look the same when you come across a huge flock of them so it's hard to tell whether some are darker than others.

My favourite are the big yellow-tail cockatoos. They have the most mournful call. After we had a big bushfire here a few years back, one flew over my grandparents' property and I thought if ever there was a sound for loss, that was it.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #20 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Can't contribute much to the bird discussion, although I'm reading and learning avidly. But Copper, I never get tired of pics of Rosie. Never. :D
yay, I love birds so much that it's awesome to hear that :D I'm so happy you like the photo's I take of Rosie. She is so much fun, I'm going to train her to fly outside with her harness, and hopefully free fly in a year or two