Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-13-2011, 03:28 PM   #51 
hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
Thanks! My Mum has already bought the 10 Gallon Kit! lol So, I could have 6 Corydoras!! I really like them. Your grammar seems perfectly fine to me. lol I do have one question, what food would I feed them? Would there be a special sinking food I should get? Also, could I mix different kinds or them, like Albino, Spotted, ect?
In a ten gallon you can really only have 4 of the more common species such as albino and bronze or peppered cories. 5 max but that's really overdoing it. Keep in mind that cories need to be kept in groups of at least four or else they get stressed. In a tank that size you can't mix different species of cories because you won't be able to form proper schools. Cories school together based on species. If you keep different species together they will school but only out of necessity and they would be more stressed than if you just bought 4 of the same species. Stress makes the fish more prone to illness. Make sure to keep the cories in a tank with sand too because gravel damages their barbels (whiskers) which makes them more prone to secondary infection.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:52 PM   #52 
Rosso1011

Quote:
Thanks! My Mum has already bought the 10 Gallon Kit! lol So, I could have 6 Corydoras!! I really like them. Your grammar seems perfectly fine to me. lol I do have one question, what food would I feed them? Would there be a special sinking food I should get? Also, could I mix different kinds or them, like Albino, Spotted, ect?
Hey, hate to tell you, I guess you didn't see the other messages... I made a math error. When it comes down to it... it's safer to do this with only 4 cories. ::scratches head:: Really sorry about that, I was thinking about my aquarium and calculating another aquarium and the wrong number got subbed in and I didn't catch it in time. I would listen to the advice below and get 4 of one species. Pick a favorite and stick with it. All my cories are spotted (I have 4). The sand is good advice. Do you know anything about cycling aquariums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
In a ten gallon you can really only have 4 of the more common species such as albino and bronze or peppered cories. 5 max but that's really overdoing it. Keep in mind that cories need to be kept in groups of at least four or else they get stressed. In a tank that size you can't mix different species of cories because you won't be able to form proper schools. Cories school together based on species. If you keep different species together they will school but only out of necessity and they would be more stressed than if you just bought 4 of the same species. Stress makes the fish more prone to illness. Make sure to keep the cories in a tank with sand too because gravel damages their barbels (whiskers) which makes them more prone to secondary infection.

Last edited by Rosso1011; 12-13-2011 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Error in advice.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:36 PM   #53 
ManInBlack2010

so for those of us that have corries in with their bettas, have any of you had problems with your betta stealing the corries' food? i give my corries sinking tablets and place them in with long reptile tweezers. they eat great but of course it takes them a bit of time. My female betta that lives with them is fed first so she's a little more content while they're eating but she will still go down and steal a whole tablet! that are as big as her head, mind you, lol. I'll often times lightly poke her with the tweazers and she'll drop it so i can give it back to them, but she does it every time, lol, the corries don't seem to mind though... they definately are not afriad of her, i've seen them chase her off, lol
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #54 
Rosso1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlack2010 View Post
so for those of us that have corries in with their bettas, have any of you had problems with your betta stealing the corries' food? i give my corries sinking tablets and place them in with long reptile tweezers. they eat great but of course it takes them a bit of time. My female betta that lives with them is fed first so she's a little more content while they're eating but she will still go down and steal a whole tablet! that are as big as her head, mind you, lol. I'll often times lightly poke her with the tweazers and she'll drop it so i can give it back to them, but she does it every time, lol, the corries don't seem to mind though... they definately are not afriad of her, i've seen them chase her off, lol
I don't house my betta with my cories but I would expect there to be a food fight if I did. I give my little guys (the cories, mind you) Aqueon Shrimp Pellets. A lot of the ingredients in the pellets are ingredients that other fish like, too. My tetras will try to catch bites of the pellets as they sink, if they can get to it on time. Glad to hear that your cories are sticking up for their food. Just keep in mind that cories generally tend to enjoy the same ingredients in their food that bettas do...plus maybe a little bit of algae on the side.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #55 
hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlack2010 View Post
Horton is a very well mannered betta and never steals food. Okay that's sort of a lie . I feed the Omega One sinking algae wafers and occasionally Aqueon shrimp pellets which none of the adults will actually eat and Horton's not a fan. Since his babies hatched though Horton's been making sure they eat before he does and even lets the cory babies steal his food. We've having a bigger problem with them jumping up and eating his flakes then we are with Horton eating the catfish food.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #56 
Rosso1011

Quote:
Horton is a very well mannered betta and never steals food. Okay that's sort of a lie . I feed the Omega One sinking algae wafers and occasionally Aqueon shrimp pellets which none of the adults will actually eat and Horton's not a fan. Since his babies hatched though Horton's been making sure they eat before he does and even lets the cory babies steal his food. We've having a bigger problem with them jumping up and eating his flakes then we are with Horton eating the catfish food.
Wow, I guess to each his own. The first time I introduced the Aqueon Pellets to my corydoras, they went nuts! They still do to this day. I've caught two of them trying to share the same pellet before.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:36 PM   #57 
hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso1011 View Post
Wow, I guess to each his own. The first time I introduced the Aqueon Pellets to my corydoras, they went nuts! They still do to this day. I've caught two of them trying to share the same pellet before.
I lied they actually get Aquarian Shrimp pellets. They love the Omega One veggie rounds though. We ran out of their food once and they actually stopped eating for a week even though we gave them shrimp pellets and a different brand of algae wafers. I think I'm going to try feeding them Omega One Shrimp rounds since they seem to like the brand so much.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #58 
Rosso1011

Quote:
I lied they actually get Aquarian Shrimp pellets. They love the Omega One veggie rounds though. We ran out of their food once and they actually stopped eating for a week even though we gave them shrimp pellets and a different brand of algae wafers. I think I'm going to try feeding them Omega One Shrimp rounds since they seem to like the brand so much.
Omega One seems to be a really good brand. I have not tried using their shrimp pellets yet, but my betta, Rosso, gets the Omega One Betta Buffet pellets and he's loved them since day 1.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #59 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso1011 View Post
Hey, hate to tell you, I guess you didn't see the other messages... I made a math error. When it comes down to it... it's safer to do this with only 4 cories. ::scratches head:: Really sorry about that, I was thinking about my aquarium and calculating another aquarium and the wrong number got subbed in and I didn't catch it in time. I would listen to the advice below and get 4 of one species. Pick a favorite and stick with it. All my cories are spotted (I have 4). The sand is good advice. Do you know anything about cycling aquariums?
OK! I was thinking that 6 was a lot. haha Um, my Mom has already bought all of the gravel, though! Is there any way you can use gravel? Could I use a combo? I'd be OK to stick with one kind. How many pygmy cories could I have in there? I'm a little confused about cycling! Could you explain the process? The only fish I've had were 2 goldfish at age 3! hehe
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:21 PM   #60 
hedgehog

Quote:
OK! I was thinking that 6 was a lot. haha Um, my Mom has already bought all of the gravel, though! Is there any way you can use gravel? Could I use a combo? I'd be OK to stick with one kind. How many pygmy cories could I have in there? I'm a little confused about cycling! Could you explain the process? The only fish I've had were 2 goldfish at age 3! hehe
In a ten gallon tank you could do 5 or 6 pygmy cories but they may be harder to find. Gravel damages the barbels. Basically cories swim across the gravel with their whiskers on it and the rough edges cause the barbels to erode. This makes them more prone to infection. If the gravel is smooth then it could be used safely but most common gravels aren't. Its better for the cories to be kept on sand especially since they like shoving their heads in it. Cycling is hard for me to explain but it's essential. You can't add cories safely until the aquarium is cycled since they are sensitive to water parameters. Here's a sticky on cycling. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838