Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2011, 08:59 PM   #61 
Rosso1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
In a ten gallon tank you could do 5 or 6 pygmy cories but they may be harder to find. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838
That is what I was trying to get at the first time, but epically failed on the translation. My brain is so fried from this past semester. 4 of either bronze, albino, or spotted, or 6 pygmys.

If you haven't already started to set up your gravel, I would just do a return and get sand. It is supposed to be easier to clean, trust me, I've been there with gravel and the last thing you want is for the gravel to start getting dirty. Just be careful when siphoning to not hit the sand real hard and you should also set up plants first so that you can get rid of the dust cloud.

And yes, I know I completely failed on the multiquote. My brain is feeling all fuzzy since I'm changing my diet.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:50 AM   #62 
Misakitty

I had a really fun time tonight with my cories when I had to rearrange some plants and objects in my tank. They like to swim into my hand or brush up against my fingers when they swim by. It really is the cutest thing. :)
Misakitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:12 AM   #63 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
In a ten gallon tank you could do 5 or 6 pygmy cories but they may be harder to find. Gravel damages the barbels. Basically cories swim across the gravel with their whiskers on it and the rough edges cause the barbels to erode. This makes them more prone to infection. If the gravel is smooth then it could be used safely but most common gravels aren't. Its better for the cories to be kept on sand especially since they like shoving their heads in it. Cycling is hard for me to explain but it's essential. You can't add cories safely until the aquarium is cycled since they are sensitive to water parameters. Here's a sticky on cycling. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso1011 View Post
That is what I was trying to get at the first time, but epically failed on the translation. My brain is so fried from this past semester. 4 of either bronze, albino, or spotted, or 6 pygmys.

If you haven't already started to set up your gravel, I would just do a return and get sand. It is supposed to be easier to clean, trust me, I've been there with gravel and the last thing you want is for the gravel to start getting dirty. Just be careful when siphoning to not hit the sand real hard and you should also set up plants first so that you can get rid of the dust cloud.

And yes, I know I completely failed on the multiquote. My brain is feeling all fuzzy since I'm changing my diet.
OK, so 4 normal cories or 6 pygmys? I might find them because my town has multiple pet stores that sell fish. . .
So sand is easier to clean? I already have a dog to walk and a hamster cage to clean, so the less cleaning the better!
How would you clean the gravel and sand, and how often? Does the sand look nice?
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:05 AM   #64 
Rosso1011

Maisy, you use a siphon with both. You just have to be careful when siphoning sand because you don't want to disturb it too much and create a dust cloud. It's hard to explain but you would siphon sand differently than you would gravel. The gravel is more likely to get food stuck between it.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:19 AM   #65 
hedgehog

Siphoning sand is much easier because you just put the siphon a little above the sand where there is left over food. The food gets sucked up but the sand doesn't. With gravel you actually have to stir the siphon in through the gravel to suck up food.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:07 AM   #66 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Do you have gravel or sand?
Old 12-16-2011, 10:24 AM   #67 
vaygirl

Regarding food stealing, I used to put Tango in a breeders trap at feeding time. I fed him in there too, so he would associate it with food. I used Lee's three way, which is super clear and floats right in the tank. It was easier to scoop him into it cause he couldn't see it as well as, say, a mesh one.
Posted via Mobile Device
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:50 PM   #68 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I went on a pet-shop spree today and in the Petsmart they had a ton of panda cories and in another shop there was 1 panda all on his own! D: Could you combine cories from different shops? I also saw a beautiful betta! He was a white halfmoon with red blotches! I wonder if by boxing day he'll be there! (I do hope he isn't in that small cup for another week, though . . .)
Old 12-17-2011, 04:37 PM   #69 
Rosso1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
I went on a pet-shop spree today and in the Petsmart they had a ton of panda cories and in another shop there was 1 panda all on his own! D: Could you combine cories from different shops? I also saw a beautiful betta! He was a white halfmoon with red blotches! I wonder if by boxing day he'll be there! (I do hope he isn't in that small cup for another week, though . . .)
Maisy, I would think that you could, however, I would quarantine the one guy if you decide to go that route. It's never easy to tell whether or not the fish are actually healthy. It would be easiest just to buy all the cories from the same pet shop so you know that they shared the same water and can diagnose illness a lot better. That's just my personal opinion. I know you've probably already heard this, but make sure you float your fish for at least 15 mins to let them adapt.

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I think you're supposed to establish the corydoras first when putting them in with bettas. I really don't know if it's true, so hopefully someone who has a similar aquarium can help...

Last edited by Rosso1011; 12-17-2011 at 04:38 PM. Reason: additional comments.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:32 AM   #70 
abdullah79

Corydoras are so beautiful to have in tank

One of the most beautiful fish in this world are Corydoras. Corydoras are so beautiful to have in tank.
abdullah79 is offline   Reply With Quote