Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2011, 12:02 AM   #1 
Ankaizes

Filter question

Hello everyone ! I'm new to the forums although I've visited plenty of times to get information.

I just moved my betta from a 2.5 gallon tank to a 5 gallon one (has his picture on the pictures thread).

Question is - I'm still using the whisper 3i filter that I used on the 2.5 tank although I upgraded the external pump to one rated for a 10 gallon tank or filter and It did seem to make the filter and flow more powerful.

Anyone has experience trying this if its good enough? If I have to get a new filter, any recommendations? Preferably one I can just get from the pet/fish store.

Thanks!
Ankaizes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #2 
EmmaliLucia

I've always noticed that if you only have one or two "clean" fish in the tank then you can get away with a filter meant for less gallons, bettas will often get stressed out by the powerful current that blows through the more "Powerful" ones. You're whisper 3i should be enough, just remember to clean the tank once a week and all that jazz
EmmaliLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:43 PM   #3 
ManInBlack2010

i use a whisper 3i in my 5.5g and have no problems. when only dealing with one fish, like EmmaliLucia said, you can get away with having a smaller filter. i do weekly water changes and my betta is perfectly happy and the water chemistry is decent
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:28 PM   #4 
Ankaizes

Thanks for the replies. The upgraded air pump did seem to make the 3i more 'efficient'. I do test the water everyday, and change when needed. I have the full API test kit and the special ammonia test kit from seachem. My tap water always registers a .25ppm ammonia so the API wasn't enough.

Full disclosure...

This is my 2nd Betta fish. The first one was a 'betta in a bowl' that someone thought was a good idea to give to my son as a gift. Having never taken care of any fish before (although I have lovingly taken care of many other pets), I went to my LPS to ask how to take care of that fish. I was give the advice that the betta can live ok in an unheated bowl with weekly water changes. Needless to say, despite my best intentions, that betta probably lived a pretty miserable life under my care and soon died. I was shocked and horrified when I realized I was taking care of it all wrong.

For more than a year, I couldn't take care of another betta or another fish. I was haunted by that experience and felt very guilty.

Until a couple of weeks ago when I got this new Betta. Hopefully he can be my redemption. I've promised to take as much proper care of him and spoil him as I possibly can.
Ankaizes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:39 AM   #5 
Thunderloon

With the increase in air pump power you definitely need to put a pre-filter sponge over the intake at the bottom. The filter could ingest betta fin if he's not careful.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:02 PM   #6 
EmmaliLucia

The Bettafish redemption! Well you clearly do care about the well-being of this fish and coming to this site is a great start. I bet you're betta will live a long and happy life! :)
EmmaliLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:08 PM   #7 
gbose

Congrats on putting your betta in a bigger tank. I'm sure he'll do well; your filter sounds just fine for 1 fish. It all sounds fine.

Good luck!

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote