Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #31 
emeraldsky

Yea, I asuumed it was stress. Theyve also been in those cups forever which is sad D:

If I had another 10 gallon I'd totally get one.
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:02 AM   #32 
gossipgirl1031

They are WAY too big to ever be in those cups! Poor things can't even turn around. I was looking for another today to rescue, but came across 2 other sad ones and didn't see any Kings.
gossipgirl1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:57 AM   #33 
emeraldsky

I know, the ones at my petco reach both sides of the cup so they cant even turn around :C
Old 12-15-2011, 12:28 PM   #34 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldsky View Post
Theres no link D:
D: Wow I'm so sorry, and I haven't checked for so long too that this is a super late response >.>

here's my King with my HMPK
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5p6_DqSbjI
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:33 PM   #35 
emeraldsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperarabian View Post
D: Wow I'm so sorry, and I haven't checked for so long too that this is a super late response >.>

here's my King with my HMPK
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5p6_DqSbjI

No problem, thank you so much for posting the video!
Cant believe how big the king is o.o
Old 12-15-2011, 05:29 PM   #36 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldsky View Post
I do believe ill be sending you a PM then!
I really want to do this right.
I did read about the pellets and plan on using the sinking ones and maybe some veggies.
I'm sorry. For some odd reason I never saw there was another post to this thread. Derp.

Anyway about goldfish food, if you get anything aside from a common, I wouldn't feed pellets or flakes at all. The commercial foods use wheat as a binder and that often gives goldfish swim bladder problems. The wheat will cause gas to form in the GI tract and gives them "fish farts" (not as cute as it sounds). Gel food is best, but if you do have to go the commercial food route, New Life Spectrum is widely considered the best. I'm not a fan of Hikari as they tend to have wheat as the first ingredient (means that most of their food is wheat).

Fresh veggies are a MUST in goldfish diets. I always make sure my fancies have fresh spinach in their tank. It also helps with their plant nibbling. I make sure to get at least one fresh veggie aside from the spinach each day. Zucchini is a great choice as are shelled green peas.

As far as compatibility: fancies with fancies, commons with commons, sight-impaired with sight-impaired (might be able to get away with a moor and a ryukin but not always), no dorsals with no dorsals. I have a ryukin and a veiltail and plan to get an oranda.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #37 
emeraldsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
I'm sorry. For some odd reason I never saw there was another post to this thread. Derp.

Anyway about goldfish food, if you get anything aside from a common, I wouldn't feed pellets or flakes at all. The commercial foods use wheat as a binder and that often gives goldfish swim bladder problems. The wheat will cause gas to form in the GI tract and gives them "fish farts" (not as cute as it sounds). Gel food is best, but if you do have to go the commercial food route, New Life Spectrum is widely considered the best. I'm not a fan of Hikari as they tend to have wheat as the first ingredient (means that most of their food is wheat).

Fresh veggies are a MUST in goldfish diets. I always make sure my fancies have fresh spinach in their tank. It also helps with their plant nibbling. I make sure to get at least one fresh veggie aside from the spinach each day. Zucchini is a great choice as are shelled green peas.

As far as compatibility: fancies with fancies, commons with commons, sight-impaired with sight-impaired (might be able to get away with a moor and a ryukin but not always), no dorsals with no dorsals. I have a ryukin and a veiltail and plan to get an oranda.

Thank you for replying!
I actually already went and got my goldies already c:
I ended up getting 1 ryukin and 2 veiltails, the ryuking is missing an eye though. It looks like he was just born without it since there isnt and scar tissue or blemishes where it would be.

I have some sinking pellets right now, though Im not sure on the brand. Ill look into New Life Spectrums if thats not what I have. I do plan on giving them fresh veggies daily though! They also have some anacharis in there for nibbling as well.

I stayed with similar looking fish. I was only planning on getting veils but then the ryukin was really cute and I knew he wouldnt be bought with only one eye, though he was bigger than the others and MUCH more acitve X) So I got him and he's my favorite XD
Old 12-15-2011, 05:50 PM   #38 
thekoimaiden

Can't wait to see pictures of your new guys. I keep veiltails and ryukins together, so you should be fine. They will nibble on the anarcharis. Mine do it all the time when I forget to add the spinach. I use those veggie clips that you can find at almost any petstore.

But since you have a ryukin, I would be very vigilant about watching him after you feed him. Ryukin are very prone to issues with bloat. Veggies are a must for his diet. My ryukin struggled with it for years before I found out that the wheat in the food was causing it. I can't feed him commercial food any more because of it.

Duckweed is another good plant for their tank. It sucks nitrate up like a beast and the goldfish love to munch on it.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:27 AM   #39 
emeraldsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Can't wait to see pictures of your new guys. I keep veiltails and ryukins together, so you should be fine. They will nibble on the anarcharis. Mine do it all the time when I forget to add the spinach. I use those veggie clips that you can find at almost any petstore.

But since you have a ryukin, I would be very vigilant about watching him after you feed him. Ryukin are very prone to issues with bloat. Veggies are a must for his diet. My ryukin struggled with it for years before I found out that the wheat in the food was causing it. I can't feed him commercial food any more because of it.

Duckweed is another good plant for their tank. It sucks nitrate up like a beast and the goldfish love to munch on it.
Yea, I definitely need to get pics of them ^^
I got the anacharis specifically for them to nibble on. I havent found a store near me that sells duckweed yet though, i hope i can find some soon D:

Alright, I will for sure get veggies then!

Tags
king betta