Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2011, 01:12 PM   #1 
MJK87

Too Much Light for Plants?

Hello everyone,

I am wondering if it is possible for plants to receive too much light. I have a 5 gallon tank that has been running for almost 4 months now with one betta in it. I use one 13w 6500k fluorescent bulb that provides light to my plants for 10 hours each day. I have noticed that the leaves on my anubus plant have started to turn yellow and some have holes in them. Despite that the plant does however continue to develop new leaves. My corkscrew vals sent out new leaves but they stopped growing at about 4 inches long and they appear as if they starting to die. I have floramax substrate and add plant care solutions fertilizer about once a week. Any suggestions as to what might be happening to my plants?
MJK87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:31 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

You can have too much light on non-injected CO2 tanks-but that usually results in excessive algae, however, I don't think that is the cause of your plant problems per se...on the WPG rule you are at 2.6wpg-

How do you have both the anabias and val planted, do you make water changes before you add any ferts....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:23 PM   #3 
MJK87

The anubas is tethered to a lava rock and the val is rooted in the substrate in the back of the tank. I do a 50 percent water change once a week.
MJK87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:58 PM   #4 
gbose

Add some aquarium fertilizer. I use Seachem Flourish. Trim off yellow leaves.

Good luck!
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:45 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Is the crown of the Val slightly above the substrate...if not....give it a little tug to bring it up slightly...when they are planted too deep it can cause them to rot at the crown....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote