Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-16-2011, 11:45 AM   #1 
Philia

Question Quick Q about air bubbles on substrate gravel of new aquarium

Hi -- I've just set up a new 10g tank for my betta, Mr. Bill (unfortunate name randomly chosen by my 5-year-old). This is probably a dumb question, but here goes.

After filling it with substrate, gravel, and the 10 live plants I bought so that I can put him in it sooner rather than later, I see that the gravel has lots of tiny air bubbles trapped in it. My question is, should I leave the air bubbles undisturbed as much as possible or try to get them out? I was thinking that they might help or harm the process of growing beneficial bacteria. What do you think?

Thanks!
Philia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:55 PM   #2 
Draug Isilme

Usually gravel isn't bad about trapping air to create noxious gas- you'll more than likely have to siphon deep into the gravel when you do a water change anyway and that'll release any extra bubbles they're holding down. I'm sure right now, all you need to do is stir the gravel up and you'll be good to go. The one you really need to worry with is sand and that's usually if you're tank isn't planted or you don't have any critters to stir the sand up for you.
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote