Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-16-2011, 11:07 PM   #11 
mardi

Thank you, Romad!

I'm so glad to hear Brillo had someone like you to take care of him. I'm sure Remedio's fins are going to be beautiful when they grow back, his color seems to only be getting a more beautiful, pronounced red by the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romad View Post
You go Remedio!!

I had one fish like that and had an empty tank at the time so decided to try to give him a shot at recovery. He was so ragged I called him Brillo. He turned out to be one of the most gorgeous fish I owned.

I have a feeling that Remedio will have the same outcome with all of that TLC you're giving him. Good luck.
mardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:48 PM   #12 
mardi

Day 4: 12-16-11

Ladies and gentlemen, we have poop!

It's almost like Remedio read my "concerns" blurb from yesterday's update. I woke up to find poop and then saw a bit more when I arrived home from work. There was also an attempt at a tiny bubble nest when I came home as well.

I returned the malfunctioning heater this evening, and got the elite submersible

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Submersi...4095221&sr=8-2

since I had heard good things about it; It should be here tomorrow. I'm going to immediately test it out in the 1.75 gallon I purchased today, and Remedio should have his new temp home ready by Sunday morning.

I did a 100% water change today, with stress coat as an additive. Remedio also had two three pellet meals today. Boy has a voracious appetite, which may or may not have contributed to his swim bladder trouble in the first place. I'll be having none of that! Though, I do believe I'll sneak in an extra pellet with his breakfast tomorrow morning. I do want to work him up to eating the same amount as Bowie, and am trying to do that slowly. Seeing as how he hadn't pooped until I started feeding him, I'm not sure when his last meal was before he was in my care, don't want to stress his system too much. However, maybe I'm being a bit too cautious?

Anyways, I believe I've covered everything exciting that happened in the world of Remedio, today. So, I'm off to go to bed and sleep for many hours, it's been quite a week and I, personally, am so glad the weekend is here.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:05 AM   #13 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm glad he finally pooped. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:38 AM   #14 
mardi

LOL! Thanks! I know it might seem a little silly. But even though he's been acting fine, it still kind of eases my mind that everything is functioning normally and I can see there's nothing in it that would indicate anything wrong going on internally with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I'm glad he finally pooped. lol
Old 12-17-2011, 11:26 PM   #15 
mardi

Day 5: 12-17-11

New fin growth is really neat to see.

I first saw real evidence of it after my posting yesterday, while I was getting him to follow my finger. His anal and caudal fins have real evidence of regrowth, so exciting!

The elite submersible heater came in the mail today. I've had it in Remedio's new tank, filled with tap water, to test it out. So far, it's been working (according to the digital thermometer I purchased) It's been steady at 79 degrees. I'm going to see how it works this evening, and see what temperature I wake up to in the morning before I put Remedio in. I also want to make sure the water currently in the tank passes my "smell test"

Having the day off has been great. I really got a chance to observe and kind of play with Remedio for the first time since I brought him home. He's been really active today, but I think he kind of poops himself out, because every once and awhile I'll take a look at him and he'll be resting at the bottom of his tank. His upgraded tank with the heater and everything in it is on a small table next to his hospital tank, he's been looking at it excitedly all day; I feel like a terrible tease, but he should be in there by tomorrow evening. He's also figuring out that my finger ='s food time. He's starting to get closer to me when I feed him, still every cautiously though. I'm also really impressed with the little "mini" bubble nests he's been building. He's built at least three in the five days.

I kind of had a moment today. Preparing a more comfortable temporary home for him, and really looking at him had me concerned about his fin rot. I didn't want to put him in this larger tank, if I would have start up AQ salt treatments, and freaked out a bit. But, his fins have been growing back, and he certainly hasn't gotten any worse since his homecoming, and I plan to keep taking daily pictures and keep a hawk eye on his progression, so if it gets any worse, I'm confident I'll notice it.

I do believe I'm going to just go on ahead and put him in the larger tank tomorrow evening; and then maybe switch to doing water changes every other day, and see how he does on that.

He did get a four pellet breakfast this morning and a three pellet dinner today. 100% water change with just stress coat added.

Can't wait to post pictures of him in his new home tomorrow!
Old 12-18-2011, 10:48 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

Keeping him in clean water is definitely helping him. I think he'll be fine. :)
Old 12-19-2011, 07:14 PM   #17 
mardi

Thanks so much, DQ! I do agree, the fresh water is helping him greatly. I sure do hope he'll be fine, though all signs at this point, say that he will.

Quote:
Keeping him in clean water is definitely helping him. I think he'll be fine. :)
Old 12-19-2011, 11:13 PM   #18 
mardi

Day 7: 12-19-11

Remedio is officially out of his hospital tank!

I put him in the new 1.75 bowl last night. I decided to leave his ornamental silk plant and little house in there to start off with. However, with his evening feeding; I began to realize keeping the bowl clean with the house would be a bit of a challenge.

The new heater does work; however, figuring out the correct place on the dial to put it has been a pain. I followed the instructions, but turned the temp control dial up, to get it closer to 80 degrees.; However, I wound up waking up to an 84 degree tank yesterday morning. (This was before I had put Remedio in the new tank). That whole thing kind of freaked me out, so I turned the dial down. This morning, I woke up to a colder than expected tank, and a 70 degree apartment. (Figures we had another cold front). I managed to get things worked out, though.

He really seems to enjoy his new home, though. He's been swimming around like mad and exploring everything.

This evening I did another 100% water change. Remedio ate well, (as per usual), and all seems well. I moved him to a more sable location on a shelf. It's not a permanent place for him, but I figure I'll be able to find an appropriate table to put the bowl he's in after Christmas. I'm going to be looking for one that would also be large enough to house a 5 gallon tank, which I aim to have him in once he's out of the woods with the fin rot.

I really have to look into nice and slow filters before I purchase another tank, though. The top fin aquarium I have Bowie in; has a light that's inappropriate (caused major algae problems) And has a filter that's way too powerful for a Betta. I'd prefer to have something with an outflow I don't have to baffle and with an intake I don't have to worry about damaging fins. Should probably start doing research, like........NOW! But first, I should probably work on finding a better table or case to put Remedio's new home on.

Starting tomorrow, I'm switching to every other day water changes. It's been exactly a week since Remedio's homecoming. I really can't believe he's the same little one I brought home a week ago pale, and swimming on his side with fin rot.

Last edited by mardi; 12-19-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:19 PM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

He's responding to all the TLC he's been getting. He's a lucky little guy. :)
Old 12-21-2011, 12:40 PM   #20 
mardi

Thanks so much, DQ! I'm the one who feels lucky to have taken him home. I took some pictures today, and can't wait to post them a bit later; So pleased with his progres.

Quote:
He's responding to all the TLC he's been getting. He's a lucky little guy. :)