Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #21 
bettalover2033

Question!

Oh almost forgot! The breeding tank picture:

(Still bugging me that I have no live plants in there *Yet.*) ANY tips on it for the documentary?

The question is: Is bamboo okay to use submersed? I know the bottom should be submersed in water to keep it live, but I ask more elaborately, Can the bamboo be in the breeding tank as a substitution of live plants? Can I have the whole "body" of the plant submersed?

Those questions are all rephrased to ask in different perspectives so hopefully all will understand.

Lastly, If so, WILL it produce enough infusoria, or infusoria at all for the fry to eat the first few days?

This is the bamboo:

Thanks all!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #22 
bettalover2033

Sorry, I tried to edit my last post but it was a little late for that, so...

Also I am going to re-post all of he first pictures because we're not able to see them (some of us) including myself. P.S. I origonally didn't want to do this because the pictures are so big so i'm sorry if they are way too big for your screen.

In the Bag and Outta the bag!

Red Dragon female:

The Male cull:

Male Cull and Back-Up Male:

Breeder male (one with Back-up male):

He just wouldnt stay still!
Old 12-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #23 
tpocicat

One question, why is the male considered a cull? I think he is beautiful, is it because his anal fin is a little long?
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:44 PM   #24 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpocicat View Post
One question, why is the male considered a cull? I think he is beautiful, is it because his anal fin is a little long?
That is exactly the reason he is considered a cull. I would breed him if he wasn't. His anal fin is a bit too long though. When I first saw him in the bag, I looked at him and the bag said cull, I thought why in the world is he a cull? Then I put him in his new tank and saw why. He is a beautiful halfmoon, but has terrible anal fin that i'd rather not breed for.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #25 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
Oh almost forgot! The breeding tank picture:

(this one I dont know if it will work. I am having so much trouble with PhotoBucket!)

http://s1000.photobucket.com/albums/...2-17194317.jpg

(Still bugging me that I have no live plants in there *Yet.*) ANY tips on it for the documentary?

The question is: Is bamboo okay to use submersed? I know the bottom should be submersed in water to keep it live, but I ask more elaborately, Can the bamboo be in the breeding tank as a substitution of live plants? Can I have the whole "body" of the plant submersed?

Those questions are all rephrased to ask in different perspectives so hopefully all will understand.

Lastly, If so, WILL it produce enough infusoria, or infusoria at all for the fry to eat the first few days?

This is the bamboo:

http://s1000.photobucket.com/albums/...2-17195125.jpg

Thanks all!
Old 12-18-2011, 07:20 PM   #26 
beat2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
That is exactly the reason he is considered a cull. I would breed him if he wasn't. His anal fin is a bit too long though. When I first saw him in the bag, I looked at him and the bag said cull, I thought why in the world is he a cull? Then I put him in his new tank and saw why. He is a beautiful halfmoon, but has terrible anal fin that i'd rather not breed for.
The "breeder" male's anal is a little too long as well though isn't it?
beat2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:20 PM   #27 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat2020 View Post
The "breeder" male's anal is a little too long as well though isn't it?
It's longer than it should be, but it isn't as long as the "cull" males anal fin. I'm guessing that they are getting their long anal fins from their dad. He was a HMPK Dragon and the female was a HM. So the long extended fins are coming from both, but the fairly "cut" look at the bottom of their anal fin is definitely from the male of these fry.

Also I will cross either a HM or HMPK into a different generation of these guys.

I hope that makes sense.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #28 
Sakura8

Hi Bettalover!

In regards to the bamboo . . . unfortunately if you submerse the leaves of a bamboo, the leaves rot and will foul up the water. Bummer, isn't it? I have a bamboo in one of my tanks, the stalk goes up out of a hole in the lid. I don't see any harm in leaving the bamboo in there (if you can get it to stand up) because the roots and stalk will provide a growing ground for microorganisms and infusoria for the fry. But for plants that provide cover, you'll want Java Moss, Water Sprite, and Water Wisteria. All of them float and don't need to be weighted down necessarily and have lots of fronds and hiding places for fry and for momma.

Hope this helps. :)

And absolutely beautiful fish! Best of luck with breeding and I can't wait for fry pics.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:19 PM   #29 
bettalover2033

@Sakura: Thank you!

I was afraid that they would rot in the water because many plants do. I am planning on getting a few other plants like Water Sprite as they are my favorite. As for cover for the female, I have a really nice cave decor that I put in the tank. It has many (fake) plants connected to it which will definitely help with the cover as well. I plan to introduce the pair on thursday, but just wanted to be sure that if I do introduce the pair and still haven't been able to get the plants, I will still have some infusoria for the fry.

I am definitely going to buy some "bunched" live plants a little down the road. Though some of them are rediculously priced and I dont have any money for shipping to buy on AB so It will have to be either next week or the week after. I'm sure to have infusoria in the tank, but DONT want to breed without live plants. Lately my LPS has been seriously lacking live plants so that is another down-put!

P.S. If you take a look at the breeding tank you could see the decor in the tank and the fake plants that are attached to it.

I cant wait for fry/ pictures myself!

Last edited by bettalover2033; 12-18-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:25 PM   #30 
Sakura8

That's a really nice-sized decoration. I like it. Bummer, I'm sorry your LFS is plant-deficient.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote