Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #1 
Bubblymle1

Poor Betta Sick

We've had our betta for about a year, and he's been growing increasingly lethargic for the past month or so. I put the bowl on a heating pad set at medium, and tried "Betta Revive" which didn't seem to help.

Housing
What size is your tank?
approximately 1/2 gallons

What temperature is your tank?

Does your tank have a filter?
no

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
no

Is your tank heated?
recently put tank on heating pad set on "low"

What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Hikari Betta Bio-Gold, baby pellets and occasionally blood worms

How often do you feed your betta fish?
3 to 4 pellets every other day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
100% every week

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
100%

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
start right solution

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
None

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
Very lethargic, laying on his side most of the time, occasionally swims up to the surface for air then drops down on side. Cannot swim upright.

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
about a month ago

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Betta Revive, heated water, cleaned tank

Does your fish have any history of being ill?
no

How old is your fish (approximately)?
we purchased him about a year ago

Thanks so much for your help!!
Attached Images

Bubblymle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:27 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry your Betta isn't well.....

It sounds like water quality and temp has caught up with him....what I would recommend at this point is to start Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) and tannins along with water changes in a QT container that is covered with plastic veggie wrap to retain heat and humidity for the labyrinth organ for 10-14 days-temp in the 76-77F range-feeding a good quality varied diet in small frequent meals.....

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and a tannin source-either IAL or dried Oak leaf and let this steep for 30min-Shake well before use and use this water for 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today-keep him in the small QT container with this treatment water/covered- floating in a heated tank to maintain temp-dim lit quiet location

Tomorrow start 50% daily using this premixed treatment water-repeat this for 10-14 days...be sure the treatment water is pretty close in temp-it doesn't have to be exact-but too extreme can cause more problems.....

Keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:28 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

Firstly, 72' is too low for him. If that's the temp with a heating pad under him, then I worry its been much colder for him previously. Cold temps like that weaken them, and the issues may take a while to really hurt the poor guy.

Also, in a 1/2 gallon tank I would do more than 1 full change a week. Rather, 2 full changes a week or at least 1 50% and then 1 100% change is needed.

This is what I recommend, for the long run-
Get him a bigger tank. This isnt my bid to have him in a bigger space, but rather it allows for the water conditions to be better longer and is much easier to heat.

Get him a heater, he really needs one.

For now what I recommend is removing everything from the .5g tank, change the water fully, and keep his tank dark and as warm as you can. Cover the tank to keep the heat in.

Please make sure you are acclimating him properly. Not doing so is stressful and can be deadly. Please use this link to find out how to correctly acclimate to prevent shock:
(toward the middle/bottom)
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=64078

If he lasts a few more days, and I so hope he does, I would get a 2-3 gallon tank for the little fellow and a heater for him. Consider getting a bit of aquarium salt and adding it in at 1tsp/gallon of water, chaning the water out 100% each day and adding new salt after the change for a few days.

For future, the revive medicines wont really work and usually dont. What you little guy needs is warmth and some clean water to hopefully bounce back. Discontinue all meds for him.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:17 PM   #4 
Bubblymle1

Thank you so much for the help and advice. I'm heading to the pet store now...poor little guy!
Old 12-18-2011, 05:46 PM   #5 
Bubblymle1

Update -- I cleaned his bowl, and took everything out of it. The temperature is now at 80 degrees. I also added a quarter teaspoon of aquarium salt, and covered the bowl with cellophane & punctured holes. (His bowl is one and a half gallons -- not half a gallon)

I added baby shrimp to his diet, but i haven't seen him eat anything in a few days.

If he doesn't start to improve in the next couple of days, I'll start him on the treatment that "OldFishlady" suggested. :)

I just noticed that he seems to have a growth on his gill (or the flap over the gill). Any suggestions on what this could be?

I'm hoping the little buddy will regain his strength soon.

Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate the advice.

Emily
Old 12-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #6 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
what I would recommend at this point is to start Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt)
Aquarium salt will do more harm then good in this situation.. Epsom is what you are needing for swim bladder problems. You can find it in the pharmacy section of most stores, such as Walmart for fairly cheap.

I would recommend doing the treatment Oldfishlady mentioned right away...

Heating off a heating pad is not ideal, as you will have to turn it off at some point, risking a drop in the temp and causing shock to him. To safely heat a tank, a 1+ gallon with an appropriate wattage heater to sustain constant temp with no fluctuations.

1 50% and 1 100% water change per week is recommended in that size of tank.

Continue trying to feed- as they should be fed small, multiple meals daily.

Is there a chance you can post a picture of the gills, as it's hard to imagine a growth with no other descriptions.

Good luck! And don't forget to take him out of the AQ salt!

Last edited by Myates; 12-18-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:11 PM   #7 
Bubblymle1

Thank you! I took him out of the Aquarium salt and he's just in water now -- I'll have to buy the Epsom tomorrow.

I tried to post a picture of his growth -- not the best quality.
He also looks like he's having a hard time breathing.

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it.

Emily
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2011, 07:17 PM   #8 
Bubblymle1

Not sure if this will be helpful, but here's a link to my betta breathing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IswS...ature=youtu.be