Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2008, 05:58 PM   #1 
Cody

Re: females???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinybetta
i need help i have 2 older bettas and i am not sure if my idea will work. i have 2 betta tanks back to back(non-seeable to each other) and i was wondering if i can buy 1 female and swich her back and forth every couple hours.

but what happens if she likes one fish and not the other do i buy a new one or continue with my plan of switching her?
Since I posted in your other thread, I will just quote it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody
I wouldn't suggest it. Bettas can be very tough and harass the females untill they die if the females dont want to breed and the male does.

You could get away with having 3-5 females in a tank with a male, but there would have to be a lot of hiding places where the females could get away from the males (These would include turned over pots with a hole, ornaments, large amout of plants, rocks to hide behind, etc).

Switching the female is even a worse idea. She would be dead in a day.

How big are the tanks that the males are in?
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:59 PM   #2 
tinybetta

females???

i need help i have 2 older bettas and i am not sure if my idea will work. i have 2 betta tanks back to back(non-seeable to each other) and i was wondering if i can buy 1 female and swich her back and forth every couple hours.

but what happens if she likes one fish and not the other do i buy a new one or continue with my plan of switching her?
tinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:14 PM   #3 
Oldman47

It would be a bad idea to put a female in with either of your males if they are in the usual small betta tank.
If one were actually ready to breed as demonstrated by such things as building a bubble nest and was in a large enough tank, you could introduce a well conditioned female just long enough to let them breed. After that she would need a new home and when the fry got to be just a few weeks old, all the baby males would each need a new home.
A few females can be kept together with each other if there is plenty of hiding places but even the females can be a bit rough with each other.
Oldman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:39 PM   #4 
tinybetta

females???

my bettas are in a 1 gallon tank each. in one tank there is an plant sort of thing. in another there is an medium glass plant and 2 other plants. in the first tank there is also an purple fabric plant.
tinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:37 PM   #5 
SST

Your tanks are too small to add another fish.

Don't add a female to either tank, you'll end up with dead fish. There is no reason to introduce a female unless you're prepared to breed them. And you can't do that with 1 gal. tanks.

Your bettas sound fine and happy. Why do you want to introduce a female to the mix?
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:25 AM   #6 
MegK

STOP MAKING MULTIPLE POSTS

AHHHHHRGH
MegK is offline   Reply With Quote