Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2011, 02:01 AM   #11 
Sakura8

I'm so sorry, mattyp. :( So very sorry you lost him. Please don't give up on fish. If you want to get another betta, everyone here is more than happy to help you get it all set up.

From the sounds of it, Marty may have had some ammonia/chemical poisoning and possibly a bacterial infection. There may not have been anything you could have done but he passed away knowing someone loved him very much and I know he's grateful to you.

10g tank = 25-35% a week, gravel siphoning. 50% if it isn't cycled yet.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:47 AM   #12 
mattyp12

Thanks a lot for all your kind words and help. I got these fish in an effort to save them from a department store I work at because they looked sad in their tiny plastic bowls. Now I end up distraught months later after becoming so attached to the little guys. I'm surprised at how upset I am, but at least I know I'm not the mean person some claim me to be. lol. I will definitely have everything set up properly for the next ones that I save.
mattyp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:52 AM   #13 
Sakura8

Oh no, you're not mean. :) It's a learning process. Some of us learn before we jump in because we planned to get the fish and some of us learn as we go because we rescued the fish or got them as gifts or something like that. And actually, even those of us who thought we learned beforehand are still learning as we go. :)

And I understand, these little guys develop such personalities. It's hard not to get attached to them.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:04 AM   #14 
PixelatedPaint

My condolescences, it is so difficult to lose a fish. They become part of the family honestly.

For future ref:

It would be best to cycle but not necessary. The fish itself will cycle it (This would prove stressful) in a larger tank where you dont do 100 percent changes. I usually take some gravel or media from my established healthy tanks and put it in a pantyhose bag...i know it sounds funny but they work. I put this in the filter if possible or in the tank. But sometimes there is no way to cycle when you rescue. Just ensure you treat the water...i would use dechlor if you aren't certain about the water there. Mine is fine but your may not be. I would also check OH. Bettas prefer it on the lower end. if it gets too high it can cause them some distress.
PixelatedPaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discoloration, floating but not dead, not eating, sick, sideways