Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2011, 03:56 PM   #1 
thatgirl

Is this another case of fin rot?

This is Stanley. He is a halfmoon mustard gas betta. He has a blue body and yellow fins with blue on the edges. Recently I noticed a little tear on his caudal fin. It turned red so I started cleaning his tank everyday because I didn't want him to get fin rot. Then I've noticed lately that his anal fin is looking a bit scraggly (dorsal fin too) so I took out all the rocks and decorations just in case they were causing the scraggliness. Also his caudal fin has had a red spot on the tip, but it went away when I started cleaning the tank everyday. Once the redness subsided I started cleaning it every other day and then I noticed the redness came back! Grr. Other than his fins, he completely normal.

Right now I clean his tank everyday and use stress coat. What else should I do? I know fin rot is something simple to treat, but I would greatly appreciate some advice.
Attached Images

thatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #2 
Myates

Handsome boy.. and the typical halfmoon bad habit- fin biting. I don't see any fin rot, just a lot of bite-shaped areas.
Halfmoons are notorious for fin biting as their fins are large, and in larger tanks, or tanks with unbaffled filters they will tend to bite their fins.
Even in perfect conditions, some will do so.. it's a bad habit that is started for any number of reason.

I wouldn't worry about changing the water daily, but keep up on the weekly water changes and that should be enough to keep the rot at bay.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote