Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2011, 05:10 PM   #1 
Bambi

Plaanning a new years spawn

I have a royal blue CT and a blue VT/RT. Unless I get a different female by then I'll be using her. I wish i could find a good royal blue or steel blue CT or HM girl locally. ><

The tank will be my ten gallon spawning tank, filled a quarter full with fake plants and real plants if i can get some.
I'll be feeding infursoria then decap BSE then frozen baby brine shrimp. Once large enough cut up live blood worms will be added to their diet with frozen adult brine shrimp.
Generally once free swimming i add a little water each day until the tank is almost full then i switch to 25%-50% water changes every day.

I doubt the spawn will produce many fry but in the case it does I will start culling as soon as any deformities popup. A second culling will occur once colors develoup, any un-wanted colors will be adopted out but i don't expect them to exactly be sought after since they will just be blue comb-VT's with red wash most likely. I will keep the 2-4 I like best, mostly because i like to always keep a pair from my spawns for sentimental reasons xD

Umm...dunno what to say since I'm currently just conditioning the pair(frozen brine shrimp and seeing each other for a couple hours each day.

----

On second thought maybe I'll use a smaller spawning tank? Then move them to a grow out? If i do that i can have more then one spawn going for new years then move them all into one large grow out together...hmmm.

I'm also debating if i should but the almond leaves whole(50 for $10) or the almond leaf teabags 100 for $10?

Either way I'm going to boil up my own black water extract with a few of them(I prefer this to just floating the leaves in the water since i don't have to fish it out a week later and i can add some to all my betta tanks).

Lol anyway enough of my rambling for now. xD
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:32 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Hmmm sounds cool!!! almond leaves make great nest areas :) I used them last time... although the female during the night turned on the male and demolished his beautiful butterfly tail >< but I think either way works. cannot wait to hear more :p
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:00 PM   #3 
Bambi

Yeah. Last time i used IAL for a spawn i floated it but it sank and the male preferred the styrofoam cup. It defiantly helped set the mood though and, i suspect, helped the fry because that was also my largest successful spawn. Since I don't really plan to float the leaves I might get the teabags then i can have another giveaway and send out some samples of those. :3
I've had spawns without IAL but they're no where near as successful as with it.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:07 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Hmm interesting :) yeah I need to get more. I have the microworm culture set up, healthy... and teeming ><
Old 12-19-2011, 09:17 PM   #5 
Bambi

bleh, I tried microworms ones and failed horribly, ending up with a smelly mess. So i avoid most worm cultures.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:53 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

lol yeah I change it out often because it is smelly when it starts to mold... actually for me, I am sensitive so I smell it before it even gets close to molding x.x but I am trying anyways I used powdered food last time. Worked so well! they refused the egg yolk.... but ate up that powder like no tomorrow o_O (figure that out...) so this time I'm doing live however, that decap stuff sounds like a good idea... :p