Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2011, 05:28 PM   #1 
gossipgirl1031

Sick Baby Betta

So of course when I went to the store today to get another heater (I went to the one where the babies were growing into juveniles and seemed in good enough shape). The one I looked at Friday who had a tear in his fin, now is showing signs of SBD. Difficulty swimming, laying on the bottom of the cup and even very slight pineconing. Yikes! I got him and will try and treat him. Should I cut his dosage on epsom salt since he is young? And to what extent should I cut his food intake since when they are young, they really need the calories? I'm kicking myself for not following my instincts Friday night, maybe this could have been avoided. Thanks all!
gossipgirl1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #2 
Myates

Aww.. poor baby.

Before doing anything, keep in mind that when you see pine coning, that is usually a sign their internal organs are shutting down, and sadly, it's not too common for them to regain health after they get to that point. But, it's still very much worth it to do as much as you can to save him! Kudos to you for wanting to give him your all!

Go ahead and do 1 tsp per gallon of the Epsom.. it's gentle and 1 tsp isn't a whole lot, nor too much for him to handle. Daily 100% water changes as well.. hopefully within a week to 10 days you will start seeing a difference in him.

I am unsure about when to cut down on the food intake.. I would ask in the breeding section, or PM a breeder such as OFL who would know when it is best to change their diets.

I wish you and the little one luck.. hoping for a full and speedy recovery!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #3 
gossipgirl1031

Thanks Myates!

The pine coning isn't too bad, but I knew it wasn't a good sign. Thanks for the dosage on the Epsom. I was afraid the full strength for an adult could outright kill him. If it's anything else going on, I'll just try and keep him comfortable since I think medication of any kind could make him worse. Should I leave him in the Epsom mixture 24 hours and then water change. It's new to me. And do the daily 100% water changes with my other babies. He's so much bigger than they are and they already seem so much stronger. Poor guy. And I'll check with the breeders. I have absolutely no experience with breeding-too many others that need help. I'll keep you posted and hopefully he comes around. Thanks so much!
Old 12-20-2011, 02:30 AM   #4 
gossipgirl1031

Little guy passed tonight after I got home from dance. I knew it was probably too late for him, I should have gotten him Friday if I thought anything was up. At least he was warm and clean when he died. Thanks anyways.