Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2011, 01:37 AM   #1 
iLikeBetta808

half flare?

i notice that when i get my betta to flare i notice that only one side of his gill cover (idk what it's called) comes up. idk how to describe so just look at the pictures.

since he's only able to flare on one side, will this be a problem?
Attached Images

iLikeBetta808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:46 AM   #2 
LittleBettas

One of my males, Avenger has the same problem, but he has an injury (my best guess) and the other gill is curled slightly.... he has no problems with it, but I havent had him long and he is sick.... but whatever is going on with him is not related to the gill problem, as long as your boy is acting healthy, eating and swimming it shouldnt be a problem, just keep an eye on it and watch out for any behavioral changes
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:52 AM   #3 
iLikeBetta808

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettas View Post
One of my males, Avenger has the same problem, but he has an injury (my best guess) and the other gill is curled slightly.... he has no problems with it, but I havent had him long and he is sick.... but whatever is going on with him is not related to the gill problem, as long as your boy is acting healthy, eating and swimming it shouldnt be a problem, just keep an eye on it and watch out for any behavioral changes
alright! thank you!
and hope your fish gets better!^~^
Old 12-20-2011, 02:03 AM   #4 
LittleBettas

No problem.. glad to help!
Not likely, he's been sick since I got him, I thought he had Columnaris and had been treating for that, but now Im at loss :/ more than likely I may have to put him down if he does not show any improvements as he has been declining health wise
Old 12-20-2011, 02:27 AM   #5 
iLikeBetta808

Quote:
No problem.. glad to help!
Not likely, he's been sick since I got him, I thought he had Columnaris and had been treating for that, but now Im at loss :/ more than likely I may have to put him down if he does not show any improvements as he has been declining health wise
aww, that's no good. maybe there's a symptom but you haven't noticed it yet. o_e idk, just guessing. you probably observed it so much, it hurts~
like me, i watch my fish too much. :3
Old 12-20-2011, 02:32 AM   #6 
LittleBettas

I do, I love watching them, calms me down :)
Im at loss, he has the deformed gill that curls out slightly, his fins go through burts where they turn red on the edges and start just literally falling to pieces, he losses and regains his appetite randomly, he normally stands and stares at nothing... but recently he started swimming around.. I thought it was an improvement, but it turned out to be a new symptom, while swimming, he will start jerking... not rubbing on anything, but like he has turrets or something :/
No clue what he has and he just keeps getting worse and worse :(
Old 12-20-2011, 02:43 AM   #7 
iLikeBetta808

Quote:
I do, I love watching them, calms me down :)
Im at loss, he has the deformed gill that curls out slightly, his fins go through burts where they turn red on the edges and start just literally falling to pieces, he losses and regains his appetite randomly, he normally stands and stares at nothing... but recently he started swimming around.. I thought it was an improvement, but it turned out to be a new symptom, while swimming, he will start jerking... not rubbing on anything, but like he has turrets or something :/
No clue what he has and he just keeps getting worse and worse :(

so it's not Columnaris.. there's no signs of stress? bacterial infection? velvet? maybe fish seizures?
Old 12-20-2011, 02:49 AM   #8 
iLikeBetta808

i just researched about the curled gill, and it says that it's usually because of poor water quality and lack of oxygen. but i don't think you'll keep him in unclean water. o_e

it also says that because it's curled, it lets in diseases and illnesses. and can also lead to death. :(

Last edited by iLikeBetta808; 12-20-2011 at 02:52 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:14 AM   #9 
Myates

If it's only when he flares, and he isn't having signs of illnesses otherwise then I would not worry about it..
But to be on the safe side, if you have a magnifying glass I would look into his gills and look for very small worms in there.. you would notice other symptoms of illness though, as Dactylogyrus (gill flukes) are deadly.

Littlebettas, have you considered fin rot for his fin issues (bacterial type as it is black-red in coloring with flaking of pieces), and possibly internal parasites with the darting and appetite loss?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, flare