Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2011, 01:19 PM   #11 
Pitluvs

There is no need to jump down someone's throat for being concerned about your bettas and fry :) Anyways, good luck and welcome to the forum.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:23 PM   #12 
Sena Hansler

Myates isn't asuming you are uneducated... we just want to make sure you know what is in store for your first spawn. you could do all the research in the world by internet, books, videos.. but when it comes down to actually doing it you'll be surprised how hard it can actually be Just remember, that the pheremones given off by larger fry will slow the growth of the others, so a lot of water changes will be in store :o lol. I didn't even find an article on that, until after my first spawn.

You might get some combtails, or VT with slightly longer rays.... messy tails, or straight up VT VT is dominant, as are certain colors over others.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #13 
Bambi

A note on the microworms VS eggyolk thing. The thing with egg yolk is that, inmy experience, unless you have alot of fry it mostly just messes with the water. I've never fed microworms but alot of people love them as long as you don't over feed with them since it can cause your fry to have no ventral fins.

All my past spawns have readily accepted dry or non-living foods as long as that's what they were introduced to first. my very first spawn has no live food untill they were old enough for chopped blood worms. Their first food was decap BSE and sperulia(or however it's spelled) powder.

r
EDITED to add:

Also, if you have a 99cent store by your house, they sell many different sized containers. I plan on getting a few on their plastic shoe boxes since they stackable(room for air holes or slits)and long. A little air tubing, aquarium slealent and a stopper neat the bottom of them makes for easy draining for water changes

Last edited by Bambi; 12-20-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #14 
Sena Hansler

I have had only one problem with egg yolk... my fry refused it. powdered food, live food (Baby brine shrimp, microworms, infusoria) all are pretty good, depending on your picky babies and some are rather messy :o

And I never knew microworms caused the missing ventral fin problem... why is that?
Old 12-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #15 
Oldfishlady

It sounds like you have a good plan and did your homework.....lots and lots of different ways to spawn and rear fry...it can vary based on you, your breeders and what you have on hand and it sounds to me like you have a pretty good setup....now we just gotta get these eggs hatched.....lol......you have several days before you have to worry about adding any food since they will feed off their yolk sac for 2-4 days and with a mature system and live plants you may even have longer....that is how I do mine too-a more natural method.....mass live plants can create lots of microorganism for the fry......

You have to understand that we get members both young and old- that don't do their research, have a plan or have any idea what they are getting themselves into when spawning this species....like you are.....you did your homework......I don't think the other posters meant to offend you....its just you are one of the few New members that sound ready- along with the understanding of what it takes and with a plan......

Since he is still tending the nest-it could be any time now before you start to see any bouncing babies......lol......it can take 24-32h depending on temp and pH.....

Keep us up dated....

*Edit-microworms-it has been associated with missing ventral fins in the growth and development stages of Betta fry, however, from my understand of the research-its not the microworms per se-it the bacteria that they create when rotting on the tank floor that causes the missing ventral.

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 12-20-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:52 PM   #16 
Myates

I wasn't meaning that you were clueless, I had seen in another 2 threads that you mentioned you only had 3 tanks- 5 gallons being the largest, and "This time around I just happened to have one male and one female because thats what my kids picked for their tanks. I thought "hmmm, let me put them together and see what happens"" seemed that you were not conditioning them and had not made plans, and that the tank they are in is the male's home, and have gravel and many small plants on the ground, which tend to not be idea for a spawn tank. I took all that into consideration before asking if you had proper means to care for all the fry.

I do hope you luck with the spawn.. and I'm sorry that I can be over protective as I have seen too many that have not done the research try and end up with too many deaths.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #17 
Sena Hansler

some males will eat the free swimming fry, but others will chase them and put them back in the nest just giving a heads up hehe...
Old 12-20-2011, 01:56 PM   #18 
Myates

Silly daddies... o.O
Old 12-20-2011, 02:07 PM   #19 
Oldfishlady

So true...lol....they do love to keep us on our toes.....lol......and sometimes they eat the eggs/fry due to a health problem and that is what we want them to do....do our culling for us....and some males will eat eggs/fry if they are disturbed to much too....when they feel a threat-they will eat the eggs/fry for the protein for energy to spawn later when its safe and some are just egg/fry eaters......I give mine 3 chances and then I will artificial hatch their eggs......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #20 
Myates

Again, I want to apologize.. (and my correction of a 29 gal community) the tubs will be fine to raise the fry in, the room sounds good- humidity being good for their labyrinth. Just keep in mind the water will be cooler then the room temp. I would recommend setting up the 55 gallon soon, or the tubs as you don't really want the tank to be cycling while the fry are in it at such an early stage.

Best of luck!