Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #21 
ashleynicole

I also run two filters on my 29 g and can easily use seeded filter media to seed new tanks. I am no stranger to water changes either.

if I do put the males in individual rubbermaid containers , my garage is our herp room and is usually 80 degrees ... We have 6 snakes. I suppose I cools also set up flexwatt on shelves to heat the tubs with a thermostat. There are lots of options, and I'm not sure if I am even going to have fry yet....

When I get home I will update and thank you all for the info.
ashleynicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:44 PM   #22 
Sena Hansler

well that's good :) hehe might not be a stranger to normal water changes.. fry water changes is crazy lol
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #23 
ashleynicole

I have fry! Just saw some falling and the dad putting them back in the nest!
Old 12-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #24 
Oldfishlady

Awesome.....and Congrats......now the fun begins.......we expect pics and lots of updates....lol....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:34 PM   #25 
Sena Hansler

definitely depending on what kind of dad he is, you can leave them in until they are free swimming... I took my male out, even though he was wonderful with them throughout their young uncoordinated free swimming age... just, it is tiring for the dads
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:13 PM   #26 
ashleynicole

They are sooo tiny, almost microscopic, I can't really get a picture of anything yet... how long till I can expect the fry to be free swimming? The male is still dutifully attending the nest, I've only seen like 2 fall so he is doing a really good job.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:18 PM   #27 
ashleynicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
I wasn't meaning that you were clueless, I had seen in another 2 threads that you mentioned you only had 3 tanks- 5 gallons being the largest, and "This time around I just happened to have one male and one female because thats what my kids picked for their tanks. I thought "hmmm, let me put them together and see what happens"" seemed that you were not conditioning them and had not made plans, and that the tank they are in is the male's home, and have gravel and many small plants on the ground, which tend to not be idea for a spawn tank. I took all that into consideration before asking if you had proper means to care for all the fry.

I do hope you luck with the spawn.. and I'm sorry that I can be over protective as I have seen too many that have not done the research try and end up with too many deaths.
I have a sand substrate, and I wasn't concerned because I don't need a ton of fry, so if a few eggs get lost, they will most likely get eaten by my malaysian trumpet snails in the sand.

my largest tank is a 29 at the moment. I have two 55 gallons, one is empty and the other holds my ball python.

And yes the spawn was in the males tank, but I already put the female in my 29 gallon today and she loves it. He will be moved to her 5 gallon as soon as the fry are free swimming.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:20 PM   #28 
ashleynicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Again, I want to apologize.. (and my correction of a 29 gal community) the tubs will be fine to raise the fry in, the room sounds good- humidity being good for their labyrinth.

Best of luck!

sorry was busy with the kids today, I didn't see this post till just now. No worries, I really do appreciate good advice, I just would like to be able to answer some of the questions before you pass judgement ;)
I consider myself an educated person, although I do make mistakes, which is why I spend a little time on the forums, not only researching and researching, but to gain insight from others experience.

EDIT: I also apolagize, re-reading my initial post I didn't mention some of the crucial information so I can see why you were mislead. I have another log running on a different forum and I mentioned there that my local fish store will buy decent sized bettas for 1/3 of the price they can sell them for. I am not thinking I would make a profit.. lol... but it is better than nothing.

Sorry if some of my info is repeated. I was at the doctors office waiting room with my kids (routine pediatric checkup) answering questions via my phone so my thoughts may have been a bit scattered.

Last edited by ashleynicole; 12-20-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:39 PM   #29 
Pitluvs

Raising a spawn and you have kids, my hat goes off to you! I have a 2 and 3.5yr old... I'm scared to even try breeding fish :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:26 PM   #30 
ashleynicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
Raising a spawn and you have kids, my hat goes off to you! I have a 2 and 3.5yr old... I'm scared to even try breeding fish :)
I do a lot of different things and if I don't have something to do I get depressed... I am a registers nurse and I have worked in the Emergency dept since I was 19. (Started as a tech while in school). It is in my nature to stay busy and nurture.

Last year I rescued a baby squirrel and was up every 2 hours feeding it with a 1ml syringe and ordered specialty formula.

Occasionally I will take in a pregnant female cat, usually a stray someone doesn't want and I raise the kittens, get the momma and all the babies fixed , dewormed, and vaccinated... and rehome them. At least that way if someone let's them go they aren't reproducing. And I have a good relationship with a local low cost spay and neuter clinic.
I've also nursed abandoned kittens which are actually much easier than squirrels..

So just to give an insight in my nature and to ensure to those doubtful that I will do things the right way. ;) why else would I be here asking for as much info as possible

Oh and my daughter will be 5 in Feb and my son turns 3 in April. They both go to preschool, I would not attempt this when they were babies... Lol.