Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-21-2011, 01:54 AM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Question Starting a Betta Info Site

Okay, so, since I want to start up rescue and adoption here in my town and area, for bettas mainly (then move onto the second most misinformed fish, the goldfish as well) I want to also have a website... It will consist of information containing diseases, treatments (more than one always!), cautions along with care, and other good stuff.

Of course unlike sites that say "they can live in cups" or "NO LESS THAN FIVE GALLONS rawr!" It'll be more positive, as I have seen some people on here note like this: "It depends on the betta really. some hate small spaces, others hate large spaces. And it depends on the person... If you are willing to do the extra work for a small tank, and keep up with the maintenance I don't see a problem with your 1 gallon." Otherwise I feel it could come across as mean and make the person feel stupid (like the 5 gallon or else bullying method).

So here is some questions, that I can jot down your opinions on. I want to have it up before April 2012. It is not a forum based site, only an information site, which will also be in connection with my adoption/rescue deal... which btw includes unwanted bettas, sick and dying bettas, and store bettas I find that need help.

1. foods. your opinion on what works best, worse, and inbetween.

2. temperature. we all know bettas do better with warmer water... what is too warm, too cold, and how to keep the water warmer (especially for bowls and small tanks) via room position.

2. illnesses. to you, what are the common diseases?

3. compatability. why not a cichlid? (rhetorical, we all know the answer )

4. aaand anything else you feel like opinionating like, what should the site have, any good sites to recommend for information (cycling diagrams, proper info of wild bettas, etc)

and yes I know the answers to these myself...as an individual... but it's better to have a wider range of answers, then just "cuz I says so"
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:26 AM   #2 
Myates

Sounds good! If I were closer I would help out with the adoption/rescue.. if I don't adopt them all myself :P

I'll compile some things for you and send your way when I get a chance.. good luck with everything!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #3 
Sena Hansler

yay and thanks. lol! Seeing how fast people jumped onto just those 5 adopted out, is a very good sign. And I'd even have it so I may be able to ship them to places a little farther (within Canada) as long as they pay shipping and handling... or come get them if they can - unless I happen to be heading their way for some reason. places somewhat close, like Calgary, Edmonton, a lot of the little towns..

And if all goes well, in a few years I will also expand it so I will accept goldfish. Bettas and Goldies here I'd say are the mst abused fish :o Most goldfish here, live in bowls or cramped tanks with bad food, water quality, and most live between 15 minutes, and 1 year. ><
Old 12-21-2011, 11:39 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Also! What should the adoption price be? I am setting it up as a "pick up price is...." and "shipping and handling only, no price on the fish". That way if someone wants to pay a small price for a fish they can pick up they can. If I need to ship, they don't worry about the price of the fish, they'll be free... just shipping and handling :)
Old 12-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #5 
SnowySurface

Sweet. A good reason to unleash my opinions on the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post

My favorite combo is pellets as the basis and bloodworms as a treat. I've given up on freeze dried bloodworms because even after soaking tem in tank water first my fish can still bloat. As for pellets, anything that is made of actual fish is a good choice. I'm using New Life Spectrum at the moment but there are other options.

My scale for food is easy to follow
worst possible ---> only cheap fish flakes

In-between ---> only good fish food pellets designed for carnivorous fish

Best possible ---> A good mix of pellets, frozen or live blood worms, and maybe brine shrimp to break up the routine every once in a while

2. temperature. we all know bettas do better with warmer water... what is too warm, too cold, and how to keep the water warmer (especially for bowls and small tanks) via room position.

Freezing ---> Any temp below 70 degrees.
There will be obvious signs of distress, lack of energy and illness if the tank is always below 70.

Low Temp minimum ---> 76 degrees
If you A/C makes your home colder than 78 degrees during the day, then you'll need a heater all year round.

Range to aim for ---> 78-82 degrees
This is the range most heaters are designed to get a tank by default.

High range ---> 84 degrees
I would only go this high while treating a very ill fish in a hospital tank.

Boiling ---> 86 degrees or higher
If your tank is this hot, you probably have a defective heater that doesn't shut off or is set incorrectly.

The most common in my opinion are fin rot, body rot, pop eye and bloat. So I would definitely make care sheets for those illnesses. I know there are infections, but some treatments are difficult even for skilled fish owners. You can make a spread sheet about drospy, ick, velvet, and Coulumas (sp?), but maybe mark those as difficult to treat.

Yeah....the answer varies so much from fish to fish, I would just focus on getting site visitors to realize they need at least 5 gallons before their fishy friends can have a room mate. I guess you can toss a betta and shrimp into a 2.5 gallon. But that may just "feed" the shrimp to the bettas. But it is hard to give even an overview about compatibility. I would focus more on making it a what-not-to-do section.

For example, I would focus more on giving warnings than suggestions. Like:
"Don't put bettas together with goldfish"
"Don't put bettas with nippy fish"
"Don't put bettas together with predatory fish"
"Two females in one tank is not a Sorority."
"You tried to make a fraternity?!"

Stuff like that, you know?

4. aaand anything else you feel like opinionating like, what should the site have, any good sites to recommend for information (cycling diagrams, proper info of wild bettas, etc)

Not really. I think I've babbled enough already.
But I do like your idea about a cycling diagram. A crash course in water quality and how conditioners work could also be good.

and yes I know the answers to these myself...as an individual... but it's better to have a wider range of answers, then just "cuz I says so"

Aw, how nice of you to assume I know what I'm talking about.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #6 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Also! What should the adoption price be? I am setting it up as a "pick up price is...." and "shipping and handling only, no price on the fish". That way if someone wants to pay a small price for a fish they can pick up they can. If I need to ship, they don't worry about the price of the fish, they'll be free... just shipping and handling :)
Hmm...with most shelter the adoption price helps them break even with the cost of care. So if it cost $5 to care for the fish until he/she is adopted out, then the adoption price would be $6. As for free shipping, that depends on how much cash you have. If they don't pay to ship then you would have to cover the charges. If you can't afford it, then you would have to charge the person recieving the fish.

So, I would suggest this set up, "Free fish if you pay shipping and handling. Donations are appreiciated. "
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:21 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

thanks!!!! That's some good info for the compatability, I'll even show off Shiloh to show how important it is to do a heck ton of research before adding a betta to other fish and vice versa... he was in with baby cichlids, or another betta. He is now Shiloh Scarface, can only half flare, and bites his fins because "they are following him" >< he came to me missing half his scales, no fins, dull color, torn face plate and all D:

Oh, I may post this favor in betta pictures, but,

Does anyone have photos of their bettas, and even tanks, that I may use (with permission) on my website? It seems during the move, half my pictures went wonky and are bad quality ;(

and yeah that is what I meant the fish is free, if they pay shipping and handling. pick up cost can be ever so much, small amount. and ALL fees, and donations, will be put forth into the rescue which'll go to medicines, care, etc

here is the work in prgress site

http://spartanbettarescueprogram-ca....om/aboutus.htm
and yes. Spartan is my boy for the name >.>

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 12-21-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #8 
Pitluvs

I have a range of tanks here, when I find my renegade camera I can snap some good photos and you can use them :) I also posted pictures in PewPewPew's thread if you wanted to snag some of them. I don't mind them being used as long as it's to educate and help find homes for Bettas :) Just link them back to pitluvs at gmail dot com :)

And also... please offer the shipping option. I'd love to adopt a boy or girl down the road when it's nice out (not middle of winter or summer). I do think you should require a donation for your fish, shipped or not. You need to recover some of your costs for the work you are doing and people need to pay for these fish. Free pets are never good, even if shipping is expensive :)

I am thinking of doing something similar here on my Island... but I'm really scared I'll be hit with more work than I can handle.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:04 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

very true... I also may want to start a donation campaign thing, but I dunno how to get the word out other than maybe this site o.o; I need apparently for 2 years worth of the website (to have ad free, unlimited pages, and own it, etc) 120.00 x.x lol. Plus, for medicines of rescued bettas, can get pricey. plus tanks it is a lot of work, but I think it is worth it. It will not start until March anyways, but it is better to get the word out now, right? :)

I do have on the donations page, that fees are just like donations and put back into the program. There will be an adoption fee for pick up bettas, and if someone is really willing to pay shipping and handling I think the fish could be free I mean... maybe 40 dollars for shipping sometimes? if people want the fish, and willing to pay that...

and thanks for photos :)
Old 12-21-2011, 06:12 PM   #10 
Myates

Instead of adoption fees, at first you can possibly try donations- if people see that you work off of donations they may actually give you more money then you would in asking for a set fee. People will see you are just wanting to make sure they go to a good home rather then selling them for money and that usually gets people to donate. Asking for shipping isn't a bad idea either.

I would look for recipes online, such as one that OFL uses to offer people a more natural food choice. And you could also sell it to those people who are able to come and pick up a fish themselves. Just make it slightly more then the cost of supplies and let them know the money goes towards housing/feeding the ones you have.
I prefer live food, then homemade, but not all of mine will touch either of those so I use pellets as the staple, with live/homemade/frozen worms and shrimp as a go between to break it up some. Freeze dried isn't bad, it's high in protein and such, and even flakes can have good nutrition such as a good amount (and often higher then pellets) of crude protein %. It's the variety and amount of food that makes the biggest difference, imo. Yes, you don't want empty calories, but outside of human food- most processed fish food won't be full of empty calories so it's easier and fine to mix up the 4 types together (pellet/frozen/FD/flake).

They can live and be generally healthy in lower temps (down to 70) but it's not ideal, and in the long run it can cause health issues from a slower metabolism and lowered immunity. So having the appropriate temp is very important, especially with the mass produced fish in most large chain pet stores that may not have been bred for quality and genes, but rather numbers. I personally prefer 80- but I would say 72-84*F is the temp that would be considered safe for them (you can go lower, but if kept in too cold temp for an extended amount of time could cause the health problems- as well as they can survive up into the 90s but again, not ideal). 76-82*F is recommended for tropical fish. I would say anything between that is just fine- some bettas do better in warmer, and others are just fine in cooler.
Small heaters are ideal for smaller tanks- if not then find the warmest spot in the home that is away from drafts and air vents (when turned on and off it will cause fluctuations)- wrapping a towel around it during the coolest part of the day/night to keep it warm. A heating pad set to low will help, as long as it doesn't cause the temp to fluctuate too quickly.

SBD, bloating, ammonia/nitrate poisoning, ick, fungus, tail rot (usually the bacterial form over the fungal form), columnaris, popeye, dropsy and Lymphocystis are the most common I see when people are seeking out help here in the forums.
All of those are pretty much avoidable if the proper water changes are made.

Bettas are territorial, they move a little slower, they wiggle with the long fins which attract more predatory fish, they are used to being alone.. some just can't handle other fish that are mid-top swimmers, quick and a schooling of fish. Since they aren't schooling fish and they do fight when another fish enters it's space- it ends up depending upon each of their own temperament on whether or not to add one to a community. Females tend to be easier to introduce into a community mainly because (in my own opinion) that they don't set up their territory like a male in the wild- they move about place to place, checking out different males, etc.. so they are a little more accepting of other fish around them since in their journey they come across more then a stationary male would. It's instinctual to me, rather then personality.

Videos of proper cleaning ways - for tanks small like a 1 gallon, and larger.. people will tend to watch a video before sitting and reading a long page. You can also do a video of how to feed, heat, introduce them, etc. Most digital cameras have an option for video taking.

(This is just me throwing together an idea right now before I start dinner- and I didn't see your comment on donations, woops! Me and my not reading.. )

Last edited by Myates; 12-21-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote