Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #11 
PixelatedPaint

it might be what they fed, not how much...mine only fed one kind of flake to all the fish. I finally found out why these fish died so soon after getting to the store. I treat the ones I bring home immediately and they are fine.
PixelatedPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:00 AM   #12 
LilyK

poor guys! no wonder they are so thin. :(
LilyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #13 
peaches3221

she's sooo cute! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedPaint View Post
I think people breed plakats to VTs to help define rays and such. You would probably get some VTs and PKs. I am no pro though xD.
good to know, I was also wondering this as I have a PK from AB coming and I am thinking of breeding to a petco VT/CT. yeah I know you are not really supposed to breed pet store bettas but I am not really looking for any specific traits, I just want to try breeding, and I know a lot of people who would want them as pets ^_^
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:15 AM   #14 
LilyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches3221 View Post
she's sooo cute! ^_^

good to know, I was also wondering this as I have a PK from AB coming and I am thinking of breeding to a petco VT/CT. yeah I know you are not really supposed to breed pet store bettas but I am not really looking for any specific traits, I just want to try breeding, and I know a lot of people who would want them as pets ^_^
I would probably breed Roch and the new girl just to try a hand at breeding; I know that mixing a PK with a VT is probably not advised, but I wouldn't be showing them or anything.
Also, I'm thinking of naming her Toe-Head :p
she has a gold spot at the very top of her head.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:16 AM   #15 
PixelatedPaint

Some bettas from those stores are real finds though! you never know. A breeder may have culled too early. or the betta was just a late bloomer.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:19 AM   #16 
LilyK

True. My baby Casper was close to show quality, even though he was a pet store betta. Best looking feather tail. I had some hopes to breed him when he got a bit older.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:35 AM   #17 
peaches3221

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyK View Post
I would probably breed Roch and the new girl just to try a hand at breeding; I know that mixing a PK with a VT is probably not advised, but I wouldn't be showing them or anything.
Also, I'm thinking of naming her Toe-Head :p
she has a gold spot at the very top of her head.
yeah, I think watching the fry grow would be a really cool experience,
I'm fine with just pet quality fry ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedPaint View Post
Some bettas from those stores are real finds though! you never know. A breeder may have culled too early. or the betta was just a late bloomer.
thats very true, I have seen some amazing bettas at petco, but I bought a PK from AB because I read that bettas from pet stores can be a year or more old. my new guy is 4.5 months
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:40 AM   #18 
LilyK

I read that too, though I've noticed now that they are selling younger and younger bettas. Maybe because people are (hopefully) becoming more educated about keeping them and want to actually care for their fish.
The types of bettas found in pet stores have changed as well. I remember when I was a kid and keeping fish all you could find were VTs. Now you can find the whole spectrum if you look hard enough.

Also, her name is now Binx :p
Old 12-21-2011, 09:41 AM   #19 
PixelatedPaint

Very true, but luckily my LPS doesnt get many bettas in often and they are usually wee little things.xD mostly early culls.

Theres only one trans shipper in Canada at the moment and 130 + price of fish is just too much to pay while risking DOAs. This trans shipper does not offer live arrival guarantees either. xD
Old 12-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #20 
LilyK

That's to bad. I've often debated ordering a beauty off of AB but I always worry about shipping.

Tags
cellophane, dragon, female, veiltail, yellow