Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2011, 10:28 PM   #31 
ashleynicole

So some of the videos I've seen on you tube, the fry seem to fall alot, I've only seen one or two fall and he catches them right away and puts them right back in the nest and then puts more bubbles up around it. They are sooooo tiny, I guess they will start falling more often when they get bigger.

Is it absolutely necessary to leave the male in there until they are free swimming? I mean, couldn't they just hatch on their own from this point? I am so paranoid that daddy is going to change his mind and eat all of them.... I mean I know the males naturally cull the weak, sickly, deformed.. but I would like to have at least a few offspring make it to adulthood.
ashleynicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:29 AM   #32 
Sena Hansler

this is my video, on youtube, of the fry which half were free swimming and the rest are hopping in and out of the nest this is what you can expect!! haha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjQIR...d6AUAAAAAAADAA

sorry for the bad quality
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:51 AM   #33 
Bambi

They fall more often as they start trying to swim on their own. xD

You won't be worrying for long in another day/two/three they'll be free swimming and you can take the dad out.
then you can worry about culling yourself. for the first couple weeks they're still small enough to b e eaten by the parents If i see a bent spine or something i cull by feeding to one of the parents while they're small enough.

Congrats on the fry though <3 I'm hoping to have a spawn soon aswell, i miss raising fry. A breeder in my town is going away untill the 30th but said when he gets back I can buy some of his fish. He has some lovely white HM males and some females(unsure of colors) so I'm hoping for a new pair..or two..or three.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:54 AM   #34 
Sena Hansler

or five.

oops I mean four >.>
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #35 
tpocicat

Best of luck with your fry. The father seems to be doing a great job. I wouldn't worry about him until all the fry are free swimming.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #36 
ashleynicole

Thanks for the info. He does look like a good daddy. I get off work in about 4 hours, hoping they are easier to see when I get home! This is so exciting....:D as soon as I see a decent amount of free swimming fry and am able to remove the male I am going to start buying supplies for either jarring the males or making some sort of floating divider to float in those big 30 gallon tubs. That way I will be able to use less heaters and actually have a filter.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:18 PM   #37 
Oldfishlady

Laffs....You sound like me....lol.....I raised a baby squirrel a few summers ago and a opossum this summer (see pic and story in my album) and too many to count newborn kittens that needed bottle reared-not to mention all the injured critters I tended too over the years-except that I tend to keep them all(all spay/neuter)-but I also live on a cattle ranch.....I need something to nurture as well to ward off depression......I worked years in the ER too and in the medical field for near 40 years until I retired due to health several years ago...my body is broken but my brain isn't and it has to stay busy....lol......or I will go nuts.....

Anyway.....

You can take the male out before the fry are free swimming-but its better to leave him if you can-free swimming usually start around 2-4 days after hatch...this can vary.....I have artificial hatched both in the spawning tank and in small container with success and removed the male a varied timelines without issue
In some of my many experiments I have conducted over the years-With my inside spawns-I have left the male long term and kept both male and female long term to get multi spawns-just removing fry as they grow-since it was the older/larger fry that ate the younger/smaller fry...neither the male or female was ever seen eating them
I use this method outside in the summer/warmer months with great success..

Generally with my spawns I rarely have many fry that fall from the nest and the ones that do usually can get themselves back to the nest or to a nearby live plant...You can see bouncing fry that kinda "bing" to and fro under the nest....but I also use a more natural method in NPT's full to the top with water

The eggs/fry that are seen on the bottom usually are not what I want to keep anyway-not always- but most of the time these are not the healthiest if they can't get themselves back to the nest.
Eggs that fall all the time can sometimes be a sign of either infertile or unhealthy to start-not that they won't hatch if fertile-they usually will-but sometimes will show signs of health issues as they mature-usually swimming problems-buoyancy related, tail dragging, spine issues and the like and this may even show up as late as 6-10weeks of age and older....
I have had eggs that fall, stay on the floor of the tank and hatch- that grew up without health problems too-but never seemed to grow out the way I like for them to-always seemed smaller......and amazed that they didn't get eaten by either the snails or shrimp I keep in the spawning tanks....lol.....

A lot of things can go wrong-but a lot of things can go right too....this is one of the easiest egg layers to spawn-but rearing the fry can get tricky sometimes....but so much fun and rewarding....

Keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #38 
ashleynicole

Thanks fish lady! Seems that you and I share like interests. I used to live on my grandmas property which was 20 acres, I had more space to rescue animals then, now I have a small house in a small countryish city, but still in the city limits so I don't have room for a lot. But there is room for fish! Lol.

I guess it is a good thing then that I don't see a lot of fry falling. That means I probably have a healthy group. And nice to know I can take the male out a little early. This is a densly planted tank so they have lots of places to hide but I worry because today I work 12 hours and I'm off tomorrow, but then I work another 12 hr shift and I don't want him to decide to eat them if they start free swimming while I'm at work. Then again I know its good to leave him so he can eat fungused eggs and sickly fry... Decisions decisions. Lol.

Honestly though I will be happy if I even get 5-10 healthy adults out of this. Once I see what its like growing them I may invest in some higher quality bettas to breed. I really like the half moon ...

Last edited by ashleynicole; 12-21-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #39 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynicole View Post
I do a lot of different things and if I don't have something to do I get depressed... I am a registers nurse and I have worked in the Emergency dept since I was 19. (Started as a tech while in school). It is in my nature to stay busy and nurture.

Last year I rescued a baby squirrel and was up every 2 hours feeding it with a 1ml syringe and ordered specialty formula.

Occasionally I will take in a pregnant female cat, usually a stray someone doesn't want and I raise the kittens, get the momma and all the babies fixed , dewormed, and vaccinated... and rehome them. At least that way if someone let's them go they aren't reproducing. And I have a good relationship with a local low cost spay and neuter clinic.
I've also nursed abandoned kittens which are actually much easier than squirrels..

So just to give an insight in my nature and to ensure to those doubtful that I will do things the right way. ;) why else would I be here asking for as much info as possible

Oh and my daughter will be 5 in Feb and my son turns 3 in April. They both go to preschool, I would not attempt this when they were babies... Lol.
We have a lot in common. Although I'm a stay at home Mom right now, I hope to go back to school for nursing in 2013. Right now we're trying to live trap a female stray that I have been working with trust wise so we can get her indoors and vetted, we do a lot with rescues locally. I wish we had a low spay clinic here though, we pay full price for spays which are $200-$300 :( But yeah, very nice to meet someone much like myself! I think that's why I haven't planned to try breeding yet, the rescue side of me and the drive to only take care of something I can handle haha Most of our Betta would be long gone if they didn't come home with us.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:16 PM   #40 
ashleynicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
. Although I'm a stay at home Mom right now, I hope to go back to school for nursing in 2013.
I admire all of those who made it through nursing school with kids, I can't even imagine. Luckily I didn't have my kids until after nursing school (thank God the birth control worked! lol).. I always hear about people who got preggo on birth control.

So male is still guarding the nest, The fry are still so small I can't see them inside the nest, I've only seen like 1 or 2 that have fallen and the last time I saw one was yesterday and it looked like it was trying to wiggle back up on its own before dutiful dad grabbed it and put it back in the nest. *sigh* I know it's only been a few days but it feels like forever! LOL