Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-21-2011, 08:39 PM   #21 
watergale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
suppose someone adopted a stray dog or cat and didn't have to pay anything to do so - would that prevent them paying out for vet bills, even though they'd pay those same bills for a dog that had a $200 adoption fee?
It's not about the money, which makes no sense to many people for whom the world is all about the money.
very true
watergale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:51 PM   #22 
thekoimaiden

Arashi, I must say, you are amazing and brave! I never venture into the crazy world of youtube comments. Kick their butts all the way back to yesteryear!

Watergale, it really does get better once you are financially independent. If someone says something to you, you can reply: "It's my money and I will spend it as I see fit. You can spend your money how you want."

Quote:
It's not about the money, which makes no sense to many people for whom the world is all about the money.
So so very true. Some people will simply never understand because they see the world in dollars signs and worth. While most of us have the misfortune of dealing with people like this from time to time, it is really heartbreaking when that person is a close family member. The only way I know to deal with that situation is to just not tell them about your fishkeeping hobby.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:51 PM   #23 
Tikibirds

Most people I know dont get the fish thing.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:24 AM   #24 
Arashi Takamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Arashi, I must say, you are amazing and brave! I never venture into the crazy world of youtube comments. Kick their butts all the way back to yesteryear!

Watergale, it really does get better once you are financially independent. If someone says something to you, you can reply: "It's my money and I will spend it as I see fit. You can spend your money how you want."

So so very true. Some people will simply never understand because they see the world in dollars signs and worth. While most of us have the misfortune of dealing with people like this from time to time, it is really heartbreaking when that person is a close family member. The only way I know to deal with that situation is to just not tell them about your fishkeeping hobby.
Ho boy you'd be surprised how aggressive I can become with the youtube dolts. Telling them exactly as it is and educating as much as I can.

I think some breeders were shocked when I asked them realistic questions about their spawn video's asking how the fry were doing, what tail types they turned into ect.

But my parents learned fast that when it came to my pets they only got the best and not the: "Let's see how they do. I mean it's not like we can cure it right?"

I think I scared my dad with how much I learned about tarantula's even going as far as using their scientific names.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:40 AM   #25 
Myrtaceae

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
This is part of the joy of growing up and becoming financially independent.
+1. I've spent...well...let's not talk about how much I've spent at petco/petsmart over the past month. But hey, the mortgage is still getting paid so I can do that if I want to. It'll get easier.

Actually though, I came back to this thread because I had a coworker give me the old 'why don't you just flush him?' line just today when I mentioned some trouble I had with a cracked tank. I told him to 'go flush himself' *cough* he's upper management, so I couldn't use the word I really wanted to...
Myrtaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:52 AM   #26 
Sena Hansler

-snickers-

aww, your young boy fell out of the tree and broke his arm? All well, he only cost you ever-so-much. Make a new one.

Doesn't THAT sound ridiculous and that's how I feel when people make my fish insignificant in comparison to whatever they own.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote