Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2011, 09:04 PM   #1 
ashleynicole

New here, long time Betta lover

Hello everyone, I have kept fish for many years, since I was a kid and bettas have always been one of my favorites. I currently have two 5 gallon planted tanks with a female betta in one and a male betta in the other. They spawned for the first time last night when I introduced them, I was astounded and very surprised as I had expected nothing to happen except chasing and fin nipping, which I asked questions about in the spawning forum.

I also have a 29 gallon planted freshwater tank with community fish and have kept a 55 gallon in the past, which is currently holding a ball python. I love animals of all kinds, we have a cat, a hamster, the 3 aquariums, and 6 snakes (1 ball python, 3 corns, 1 california king, and 1 milksnake). Not to mention I have two kids, work two jobs as a Registered nurse and still take college classes sporadically. Luckily my husband loves animals just as much as me or I would be in trouble, although he acts like he is not as interested in my fishy friends as he is in the snakes... I often catch him examining my tanks or making comments about the fish's behaviours :D
ashleynicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:13 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....

Look forward to seeing pic and hearing more about your fish keeping adventures.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #3 
sam7152004

Congrats on the bettas. I've never had luck spawning bettas. I tried once and the female ate the fins off the male and he starved to death because he couldn't swim. So congrats!
sam7152004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:29 PM   #4 
tpocicat

WOW! That was very lucky. Bettas usually take much more time than that in my experience anyway.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:33 PM   #5 
ashleynicole

I already moved the female to the 29 gallon in anticipation of putting the male in her 5 gallon when the fry are free swimming, but here is a pic of what their tanks looked like before I decided to attempt spawning. The first pic is the females tank, the second is the males tank.

They are both planted 5 gallon kits, adjustable heater (25watts I think), temps are 80-82, HOB filter with sponge at the output to disperse the flow. Sand substrate (Pool filter sand) planted with all live plants, wisteria, dwarf sag, and crypts.
Attached Images

ashleynicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:08 AM   #6 
sam7152004

cool pics
sam7152004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:22 AM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Hi, welcome to the forum and to the the great world of bettas.

You have Great bettas and take amazing pictures of them.....
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote