Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-21-2011, 05:17 PM   #1 
LyzzaRyzz

Lyzz's Journal.

So, today, I snagged me a winner.

Among the gorgeous bettas at my LFS, [which is one of the few good ones], I spied a mustard gas male, and I almost didnt get him, almost bough a banded red and blue, but i went back and grabbed him right before i paid, and Im so glad I did!

Hes so smart, Hes already playing peek a boo with his pots, checking to see if im watching him, and using the feeding station in the front of the tank..
His first feeding i fed him there, and he just got the hang of it...now hes begging for more food!

This is such a change from my last bettas, who died last night of a vicious case of ick.
So my new betta is bittersweet, but i did my best for Bosco and Purp, Now thier in the million gallon tank in the sky.

Anyways, this is my journal, and in it, Ill share my life, with my many pets, and my boyfriend, Joe. Im 22, am enrolled in a vet tech college, and I live in Rhode Island.

Ive got one betta, five koi, two dogs, a cat and three tree frogs.

The koi live in a pond in my back yard, a decent sized one, but not deep enough fro the fish to winter, [believe me, we tried, sad, sad, dead fish.] So, they get moved indoors, where we noticed two werent as big as the others, and I seperated them to see if i could get em nice and plump for next year.
Turns out they had swim bladder problems, and they were treated with peas and fasting, but the smaller koi, SickFish, is still lagging, so ive decided to not put him in the pond in the spring.
Sick Fish and Orange live in a ten gallon, upgrading to a 15 gallon.

My beagle, Lilly is 12 years old and always the proper lady, the complete opposite of my Dachshund/Poodle, Khodii, whose one and a half, and is just a ball of endless energy, unless hes sleeping. cause that dog is a napping machine!

My car, Rainbob is the biggest tomcat in the neighborhood, and he patrols our property, beating up other cats who dare look at our house. I once saw him take on two cats at once and come out on top.
But hes not all toughness, he loves to cuddle, and is the only cat I know that drools with happiness when you pet him. =] He sits on your hip like a child, and even wraps his paws around your neck. So cute!

And then we have the tree frogs. We raised two of them from tadpoles, the spring peepers, and the other one is a grey tree frog, that a friend found and gave to us.

So, those are my pets; Questions, comments, hey-how-are-ya's, feel free!
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:08 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I enjoyed reading about all your animals. I'm glad you got another betta. I have a mustard gas plakat and I love the color combination.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:04 PM   #3 
LyzzaRyzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I enjoyed reading about all your animals. I'm glad you got another betta. I have a mustard gas plakat and I love the color combination.
I saw MG online, and knew i needed one...then i saw him at the store and needed to have him!
Old 12-23-2011, 01:05 AM   #4 
LyzzaRyzz

So, since my new betta[ he still doesnt have a name] is such a piggy, I decided to see how many pellets hed eat...well, I stopped at ten, cause i dont need him getting sick!
Its just my other two didnt eat alot at all, so this is new!

Although, after he was done eating, I noticed the area directly beneath his dorsal fins was bulging slightly. Not pineconing, just slightly bigger than the rest of him.
I wonder, is this because of all the food i fed him, or could it be an enlarging liver? Or maybe, he is really a she? I havent heard alot about ,males getting stress stripes easily, and taking him home, he was all stress stripey...And i was thinking maybe the bulgey area is him/her being eggy?

The picture attached is kind of blurry, damned itouch, but theres a area under his side fin [on both sides] that is bulgy to me.

I swear hes doing all of this on purpose.
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2011, 01:17 AM   #5 
LyzzaRyzz

Two days ago, i jumped the gun, and bought two tiny corydoras, with then intention of making a new tank...but i didnt research well enough, and that resulted in one, the albino, dying. The green one is still trying to hang on, but im 95% positive that hell die too.
Once again, me being impatient killed some fish that didnt need to.
Though, from the moment we got them, they were acting funny...i guess ill never know.

But because of this, i now have a plan, and if i stick to the plan, everything will be alright, and Ill have four healthy thriving tanks.

So, the skeleton of my plan looks like this:

2.3 gal - one male betta, a few snails.

9.5 gal - Sickfish and Orange, two koi, one 4 inches the other six. [they are already happily living in this tank, just the location in the house is changing.

10.5 gal - 6 corys, 1 male betta, pleco [none are bought yet, and yes i know plecos get huge, im planning on it, i will devote an entire tank to him/her when bigger.]

13.7 gal - three 7.5-inch koi, who are currently living in a 10 gal together for the winter, and its slightly murky, so im hoping giving them the 3+ gallon upgrade with a filter upgrade[found out my mom had been using a 10gal filter, instead of a 20gal, and with the size of these fish, its no wonder the water is such poor quality!] The koi live in a pond in the spring/summer/fall. Next year well be buying a 50 gal or larger, depending on how big the koi are, so im starting my search now!

I also have a small bowl containing ramshorns, and ill be starting a small tank with shrimp, as tankmates, and food for the koi.

So, what do you think?

Ive been doing alot of work and research, so, im hoping this goes with smooth sailing!
Old 12-27-2011, 08:05 PM   #6 
LyzzaRyzz

So, I have done my tank switch, which is a bit different, seeing that there's now koi in my bathroom! Lol

But, I'll take pictures of all of them, and tomorrow I'm getting a new betta, to put in my ten gallon, to ready it for the corys ill be getting...

Well, off to play games with my boyfriend, he gets jealous I spend so much time on here! Hehe
Old 12-27-2011, 11:23 PM   #7 
LyzzaRyzz

Pictures of the big tank switch

So, first is a picture of Tyrion, my MG VT, in his 2.5 gal, very happy blowing bubble nests in his gatorade caps..lol

Second is my Fat fish tank. Two are goldfish and one is a koi, who will be rehomed soon. I just upgraded from 9.5 to a 13.7 gal, and they seem alot happier.

Third is my 10 gal tank with my koi Sickfish and Orange, Orange is also hetting rehomed, but Sickfish is staying, Im more than a bit attached to him. Its a bit cloudy, cause i moved everything, and they need a water change.

And fourth is my newly set up 10gal tank, for future cories, and a betta Ill be getting tomorrow!
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2011, 01:30 AM   #8 
LyzzaRyzz

Today was very busy for me, I had a doctors appointment,I had to go food shopping, but more imPortantly, I was going to get a betta!
So on the way to the store to get groceries, I asked my dad to drop us off at the petsmart, and I was instantly overwhelmed with all the betta types!

Vieltail, crown tail, dragonscale, halfmoons, females, so many gorgeous females! Almost shelled out for a sorority, but stopped myself. I had decided I wanted a lighter colored one, white, yellow, or hopefully a marble or koi one, but It was my first time seeing a crown tail live and I was captivated. I systematically went through the bettas, and it was between a pretty red with slight blue toned crown tail and a white masked plakats dragon scale when my dad called and said he was ready to go, so I quickly chose the crown tail, and ran out the door.
When I got home, I was watching him, and I was less enthused about him than any other betta, and I realized his coloring wasn't what I wanted, and I quickly called my LPS and asked if I could trade, and within four minutes of walking in Thier door I was walking out with a white veil tail with slight black dragon scale, and I've since found out the most gorgeous flare ever! Clear except for a lacy. Type pattern..I've named him zoolander, because hell be swimming along stop, turn just his head and as the same time FLARE! Sometimes he "screams" at us!

I am so happy, and I know the crown tail will go to a great owner, cause my LPS actually cares..

Pictures in a bit, or tomorrow
Old 12-29-2011, 01:34 AM   #9 
LyzzaRyzz

Oh and I've switched Tyrion and Zoolander, because of Zoolanders hade, he's harder to see from across the room, plus, Tyrion is bigger, though the currents a bit strong, I'll have to build a buffer..
Old 12-29-2011, 11:11 AM   #10 
LyzzaRyzz

Zoolander!

Hes so freaking pretty!
Attached Images