Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2011, 12:37 AM   #1 
LucasTheFisher

Question A Betta's Disturbance?

Hi all, I was just wonderin' about some issues I've heard from different Betta owners in the internet.

They were saying that a lot of activity in a tank can greatly bother/disturb a Betta? They said because Bettas are solitary fish and is best housed alone. But, can activities really stress a Betta that much to the point of the Betta being inactive/ susceptible to diseases?

I am just asking because I think my future tank will have a lot of activity, w/ all the guppies swimming around and a school of neon tetras. And if I get a larger tank, maybe I'll get Cherry Barbs (Which are very active, I suppose).

So, what do you guys think?

Is it preventable? By doing what? Or is it just plain unavoidable?
LucasTheFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:21 AM   #2 
Greenfish

It comes down to the Betta, some really enjoy an aquarium with activity, others don't.
Greenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:51 AM   #3 
LucasTheFisher

Yeah, I know that each Betta has their own unique personality like us. But what I really want to know is that if they really hate active fish in general. I mean,if this is a trait on their species or not.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:03 AM   #4 
GreenTea

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Bettas are basically solitary by nature. I'd first like to ask you about the size tank and set up - what do you have in mind there? Also, tetras and barbs can be aggressive, and bettas can be aggression back to them, sometimes due to their bright fins. Bettas are competitive like that! I have heard neon tetras getting along ok with bettas but have no personal experience there. I have not had any bettas that can have tank mates other than a snail, most could not tolerate that, and attacked the eyes and soft spots of the snail. I don't think a betta with schools of active and aggressive fish is a good idea. I think it would be stressful for the betta. They don't need companions the way goldfish do. They are perfectly happy begging for food and patrolling the tank.

If the tank is quite large and the schools are smaller, and there are lots of hiding places for the betta, it might work. Most people do some sort of bottom dwelling fish because bettas tank to hang out mid to high tank level, close to the surface of the water. It's also possible you have a more relaxed betta who will be fine. Ultimately you'll need to do more research other than the responses here, and personally gauge the temperament of your fish. For a school of tetras, a male betta, and one or more barbs, I'd say a 20 gallon tank for room for everyone to swim would be a minimum.

Last edited by GreenTea; 12-23-2011 at 06:07 AM.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:03 AM   #5 
LucasTheFisher

Actually, I am getting a 20 gallon tank or more. And I'll provide live plants and hiding places as much as I can, while still making it look natural for the fishes. Thanks for the advice and welcome, though
Old 12-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #6 
peaches3221

some bettas are very active, and therefore probobly won't mind activity in the tank. I just got a PK boy who is the most active betta I have ever seen, he darts around that tank like crazy! BUT as long as you give plenty of hiding places, plants, caves, you can even use cofee mugs and terracotta pots, so the betta will have somewhere to go when he needs a break, I think it will be fine! just watch your betta for signs of stress, like losing his color or shredded fins. If he seems healthy, I think that would be a very nice setup :)
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:15 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

Shorter tailed species like plakats, or female bettas will do better in an active community set up as they can swim pretty fast themselves and therefore seem less overwhelmed. They are also less of a target for nipping. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:36 PM   #8 
JahBetta

It all depends on the Betta and the tank as others have said. I personally don't think "most" Betta's would be happy in an extremely active tank.

Try to shoot for a slower, nicer and peaceful schooling fish.

I just added shrimp a couple days ago; my Betta took to them quite well. He is a little bit more active in the sense that he will swim around and through things sometimes following them or just sitting there looking at them. They will stand off with him sometimes but he just turns away not very concerned. As long as I stick to a mellower fish species, that preferably doesn't take up his space (although he likes swimming through the bottom of plants, and in the top), he should be relatively fine.
JahBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Plakats will be okay with barbs, however I highly recommend you skip on the barbs. Barbs, are one of the more nippy fish that I have ever seen... I've rescued many bettas who had been in barb tanks!

Many bettas are weak swimmers. those that are introduced to filters (that can be heavier flow) may even bother bettas - or some learn to get quicker, and stronger at swimming. Many fish also, adore chasing those pretty flowy things called fins

I successfully had Spartan with leopard danios. No problems, school of 6 danios... but he also was hand raised since he was little, and taught early about other fish being okay. I always added hidey holes for him, so he could escape.

But, I have yet to come across a betta who was that mellow! Most my males are solitary. permanently. forever. not even shrimp/snails. Some bettas also react to colors... white skirted tetra versus a red guppy, for instance.

It alwyas depends Just like it depends on the betta type... plakat won't be as targeted by nipping, a wild type imported will be more aggressive than say, a betta you had for all it's life and you raised it to be gentle (takes time for that x.x)

There is also the gender role. Males, tend to stake out territory and stay in it. females, by instinct like to travel. Females (not all mind you) are more willing to accept other fish in their domain, than a male.

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 12-23-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
activity, betta, community tank, school