Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2011, 03:47 PM   #1 
BettaHeart

Just spawned

Had a spawn yesterday and went to check on dad and eggs but noticed the amount of eggs has dropped considerably and i think he is eating the babies.
Any and all help/suggestions is greatly appreciated.
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #2 
purplemuffin

You'll want to give us more information. Males will eat eggs for any number of reasons--the eggs could have been bad and he was eating off the bad ones. He could have been startled. Maybe just a bad dad. Were the parents properly conditioned? What breeding set up were you using? Etc. etc. etc...
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #3 
BettaHeart

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
You'll want to give us more information. Males will eat eggs for any number of reasons--the eggs could have been bad and he was eating off the bad ones. He could have been startled. Maybe just a bad dad. Were the parents properly conditioned? What breeding set up were you using? Etc. etc. etc...

Ok. First the pair are young this is the male's first spawn, both were conditioned about three weeks. The 10gal tank has been ready for the past month and a half using the typical method of atleast 3 gals of water, IAL, and moss.
I think it may have been the fact the dad is new to spawning and may not have fertilized the eggs well enough.
There are still a good number of eggs left so i will just wait and watch for the next couple days, if he continues to munch on them i am going to prepare for artificial hatching.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:11 PM   #4 
purplemuffin

it's possible the eggs just weren't good or he just is inexperienced! It happens! :) All good practice. At least both of the parents are safe and healthy and can try again! Good luck!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #5 
tpocicat

I hope it's just the male eating the bad eggs. As long as there is still a good number of eggs in the nest, just hang in there. I know it's hard, all this waiting to see what happens next.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:11 PM   #6 
BettaHeart

you are right purplemuffin practice does yield greater results and both parents are fine not a single scratch or lost scale or ripped fin so if it doesnt work out this time in acouple weeks it could go better.

lol too true tpopicat waiting is the hard part and i just hope he is just taking out the bad eggs.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:37 PM   #7 
betta lover1507

or sometimes it looks like he is eating them, chili pepper used to do that he'll grab them and keep them in his mouth for awhile and spit them out.

but congrats and goodluck =]
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote