Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #11 
Arashi Takamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
Okay you know I can't leave until I have a better picture.

His name is Humbug until he gets a new home. :3
Awesome! He looks so cool! Congrats on saving the little fella!
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:00 AM   #12 
MinaMinaMina

Going from the size of the abdomen and general availability, I'd say you have a little girl.
MinaMinaMina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:02 AM   #13 
MinaMinaMina

Also, is this her home? I see a few problems if it is. JTTH!
Old 12-27-2011, 12:03 AM   #14 
Arashi Takamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaMinaMina View Post
Also, is this her home? I see a few problems if it is. JTTH!
If it's her home then what would the problem be? She doesn't look adult to me she looks like she's juvenial at best. Don't forget females tend to be larger then males.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:16 AM   #15 
MinaMinaMina

I'm just thinking that she'll need more substrate in order to burrow and, if she does burrow, there's the possibility of that rock caving in and falling on her. Maybe its not pictured, but I don't see a water bowl, either. So I'm just trying to help! I know the stores don't give the terrestrial tarantulas enough substrate, presumably either because they want them to be visible or out of ignorance. There seems to be a lot of misinformation out there about their care and requirements, so it would seem likely that most people are much more apt to come across misinformation than not. So I'm just trying to be helpful!
Old 12-27-2011, 12:32 PM   #16 
purplemuffin

It's just the little cup I took her home in. She's actually far too small for a water bowl--in general it's recommended to wait til they at least have 1" legs, and even then it needs to be insanely shallow. She drinks from water sprayed into the enclosure. Right now the spider is in a .75 gal plastic tank with a few inches of substrate to burrow. Oh, that's not a rock, it's a single cut out from an egg carton. :) much lighter weight. They also had a sponge in there, but it was getting moldy, so I took it out and am simply maintaining humidity manually.

Spider is still too small to be moved into the 5 gallon kritter keeper, but that will be the better home later.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:36 AM   #17 
Arashi Takamine

Ah don'tcha love how low maitence T's are?
Old 12-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #18 
PaintingPintos

I loooooove spiders! Only the little, surprisingly interesting jumping spiders. A little story: (:D)
In the Summer when I was a lot younger, I'd always go for walks in the woods behind my house, run through the (50 acre :D) field next door that I was given permission to play in, play in the creek down the road (there's around 5 acres of woods there to play int), look for fossils, etc (this story is getting a little long)... so one day when I came home and I was bored, so I was wandering around the back yard. I noticed that on a trash can full of sand that we were going to dump in the sand pit for our pool, there was a tiny 1/4 inch jumping spider... IT WAS SO CUTE.
It looked (to me) like it "needed" water... so I got a handful of water, dipped my finger in it, and put a drop near the spider. The spider scuttled over to it, and stuck its pincers into it and I watched the drop disappear. That's what really fascinated me. The spider drank what I gave it. I still can't be exactly sure why it was so amazing to me, but now I carry around a tiny vial of water and I always look for spiders around the yard. O.O
That was very very very long for a short story.. I'm sorry xD I had to say it! :)

but when I start to tell a story it all just pours out. So ignore the extra details. xD
And THIS is a reeeaalllyyy cool NatGeo link about tiny spiders with BRAINS in their legs :
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...imals-science/
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #19 
Arashi Takamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintingPintos View Post
I loooooove spiders! Only the little, surprisingly interesting jumping spiders. A little story: (:D)
In the Summer when I was a lot younger, I'd always go for walks in the woods behind my house, run through the (50 acre :D) field next door that I was given permission to play in, play in the creek down the road (there's around 5 acres of woods there to play int), look for fossils, etc (this story is getting a little long)... so one day when I came home and I was bored, so I was wandering around the back yard. I noticed that on a trash can full of sand that we were going to dump in the sand pit for our pool, there was a tiny 1/4 inch jumping spider... IT WAS SO CUTE.
It looked (to me) like it "needed" water... so I got a handful of water, dipped my finger in it, and put a drop near the spider. The spider scuttled over to it, and stuck its pincers into it and I watched the drop disappear. That's what really fascinated me. The spider drank what I gave it. I still can't be exactly sure why it was so amazing to me, but now I carry around a tiny vial of water and I always look for spiders around the yard. O.O
That was very very very long for a short story.. I'm sorry xD I had to say it! :)

but when I start to tell a story it all just pours out. So ignore the extra details. xD
And THIS is a reeeaalllyyy cool NatGeo link about tiny spiders with BRAINS in their legs :
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...imals-science/
That is freaking awesome! Both the story and link! :)
Old 12-28-2011, 11:00 PM   #20 
purplemuffin

So I am SUPER nervous! Humbug has a little bald spot where some hairs were flicked I assume and now that skin is turning dark dark dark grey/black. I've heard this can mean a molt is coming soon!! Oh man, how exciting--and nervewracking. I've heard of so many failed molts. I hope he or she makes it--and then when I get that molt, I'll know for sure what gender this spider is! :) Woohoo!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote