Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-25-2011, 05:45 PM   #1 
bettalover2033

Heater Opinions Needed!

Well I am looking for a new heater and I was just looking for your opinion on this heater:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752191

Is it good?
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:51 AM   #2 
guardianfyre

Top Fin is PetSmart's store brand. Decent middle of the road heater. Doesn't work well with larger fish because they can break it, but no problems with smaller fish like bettas. The one issue that it occasionally has is under heating the tank. I'd estimate about one in every hundred has that issue. I'm not aware of any other problems with it. But the bonus is it's lifetime guaranteed against manufacturer's defects. If it ever just quits working, you can take it in to any PetSmart store and get a replacement (even without a receipt because it's not sold anywhere but PetSmart).
guardianfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:10 PM   #3 
bettalover2033

Wow Really? That's really cool!

Thank you!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:59 AM   #4 
goldentryst

Ohmygoodness no, trust me. Avoid the Top Fin brand when it comes to imperative equipment like heaters (or at least just the heaters). I bought the exact same heater (50W) for my 10gall not even 2 weeks ago and I returned it for full refund. It's kind of crappy and inconsistent, and you'll see if you look around that it has an amazingly large amount of bad reviews.

I bought it because it was the cheapest heater at $18.99, but it's way better to shed several more $ and get a better brand. At the moment I'm using an Aqueon heater and I'm much happier and satisfied.

I saw way too many comments [by other people] on it about how it would overheat the water, or just not heat up at all to what it's ticked to. I decided not to risk it since the Top Fin heater I had was already showing undesirable traits. Even the Petsmart workers in the fish dept. agreed that Top Fin-brand heaters are not good.
goldentryst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:06 AM   #5 
MaisyDawgThirteen

You need a 100W heater for a 10G, so that's why it is "kind of crappy and inconsistent"! I got the 100W for my 10G yesterday and it works just fine so far.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:10 AM   #6 
AcrimoniousArbiter

What size tank are you looking to heat?
AcrimoniousArbiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:16 AM   #7 
Tikibirds

I got a 100 watt one off ebay for my 20G and haven't had any real issues with it.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:28 AM   #8 
goldentryst

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
You need a 100W heater for a 10G, so that's why it is "kind of crappy and inconsistent"! I got the 100W for my 10G yesterday and it works just fine so far.
Yes, well, I suppose Petsmart shouldn't put "...FOR 5-10G" on the cover of their 50W heaters then. O.O

And by the bad reviews I also meant that the heater supposedly may not last for a long while. Of course it should work for the first few days and even a month or two -- but after that it seems [risky] complications are highly probable to occur. (That's what other owners of the Top Fin heaters have all been saying, anyway~)

Last edited by goldentryst; 12-28-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:30 AM   #9 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldentryst View Post
Yes, well, I suppose Petsmart shouldn't put "...FOR 5-10G" on the cover of their 50W heaters then. O.O
I got the 10 Gallon Kit for Christmas and the water was cloudy so we got a water test. The woman told us that the heaters and filters in that kit are too small and that they shouldn't be sold. The manager gave us a new filter and heater for free.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:34 AM   #10 
goldentryst

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
I got the 10 Gallon Kit for Christmas and the water was cloudy so we got a water test. The woman told us that the heaters and filters in that kit are too small and that they shouldn't be sold. The manager gave us a new filter and heater for free.
Noice haha